My Fallkniven F1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hawkmaster

Jul 16, 2010
bexhill on sea. east sussex
Hi

I am looking for knife maker who would be prepared to remove the stock factory rubber handle from my Fallkniven F1 and fit a wooden one for me.

If there is anyone out there who knows of somebody who may take on the job, please contact me . I have been told the tang is a little different to the F1 blank sold individually, Any one who is willing to do it for me I will supply the scales and anything else that would be required, a approx estimate would be really appreciated.

Anyway thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from somebody soon. :)

leon-1

I have been told the tang is a little different to the F1 blank sold individually, Any one who is willing to do it for me I will supply the scales and anything else that would be required, a approx estimate would be really appreciated.

I am not volunteering, but whoever told you about the tang is quite correct, the tang is narrower spine to edge and has a little wiggle towards the butt end of the knife.

There is only one hole in the tang and that is where the lanyard tube is situated so if you require the handle pinning then someone would have to drill through a piece of hardened VG10 laminate. You could try to do something with the temper or drill it slowly using either cobalt / carbide bits or drill it very quickly using stellite bits (they destroy the temper locally to enable them to drill through).

The scales would also require to be morticed (could be done with a router).

It's a fair amount of money and effort involved if you require the tang drilling, mainly due to the cost of either stellite or the other drill bits mentioned and the method of drilling involved.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
If you really like the f1, but want something a but nicer looking, ehy not sell yours and buy a full tang blank?

hawkmaster

Jul 16, 2010
bexhill on sea. east sussex
Thank you for the advise.

, I have tried to contact Ben orford yesterday via his website, but as yet no reply. I don't want to sell my Fallkniven as it was kindly given to me as a Christmas gift and would be very unappreciative of me to sell it on especially as I have no valid reason to part with it, it does everything I ask of it .

I was hoping to make it a bit more personal, I wont give up yet just wait and see if I can find someone.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Before you go to all that trouble and expense, my advice would be to find something that you really like to work with so that you have a pretty well-defined target to aim for.

One of the things I'd suggest is that you try a few blades with profiles and grinds which are different from the very convex F1. You might find that you want to keep the F1 as it is and add aanother, different blade to your kit.

One of the design features of the F1 is its lightness. If you put wooden scales on it you will probably sacrifice some of that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE