My Equipment List.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Equipment List.
· .62 cal/20 gauge flintlock fusil. 42 inch barrel.
· .70 caliber smoothbore flintlock pistol.
· Shot pouch and contents.
· Leather drawstring pouch of .60 caliber ball (in knapsack).
· Powder horn.
· Butcher/Hunting knife.
· Legging knife.
· Clasp knife.
· Tomahawk.
· Fire bag.
· Tinderbox.
· Belt pouch.
· Fishing tackle in brass container.
· Two brass snares.
· Roll of brass snare wire.
· 3 Gunpowder wallets
· Knapsack.
· Scrip.
· Ball mould and swan shot mould.
· Lead ladle.
· Tin Cup.
· Water filter bags (cotton & linen bags).
· Medical pouch.
· Housewife.
· Piece of soap and a broken ivory comb.
· Dried foods in bags.
· Wooden spoon.
· Gun tools and spare springs.
· Compass.
· Whet stone.
· Small metal file.
· Oilcloth.
· One blanket (Monmouth cap, spare wool waistcoat and wool shirt rolled inside blanket).
· Two glass saddle flasks.
· Length of hemp rope.
· Bottle of rum.
Basic list of what I carry. This list is made up from items that we know were carried, from items that my research has shown were available, & from items that have been found, such as the brass snare wire. I am not saying every woodsrunner carried all these items, but I am saying that some woodsrunners may have carried all these items. From experimental archaeology results in historical trekking, I think the items I have chosen are a reasonable choice for any woodsrunner that is going to live in the wilderness for a year or more.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I wouldn't want to chance living a year in the forest with only one blanket, or only 1 bottle of rum...

Tonyuk

Man of Tanith is quite correct Tonyuk, we put the extra clothing on over our day time clothing on winter nights. I also wear a half-blanket (around my shoulders) during winter which I also wear at night.
KH%201700%20clothes%2010_zpswfk4zf95.jpg

PACK%20amp%20HALF-AXE%20SIDE_zpskn5r9qyi.jpg

If it gets too warm on the trail then I simply take layers off & carry them at my back on top of my knapsack.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Never having carried the thing in a period manner, how much of a encumberance is something like a small trade kettle or tinplate cooking pot/ corn boiler? I know you can do without, meat cooked on skewers, bannock on a flat rock etc etc but I'd be loathe to go without.

Along those lines is there any evidence for frying pans? I've a neat old brass one still with a complete tin lining I fancy using.

Thanks!

Tom

Hi Tom. Well I have not found it a problem, but I am getting older, & I have just replaced my brass Trade kettle with a lighter copper one. Certainly there were fry pans Tom, so if you want to carry one I see no reason why not. Personally I have never had a need for a fry pan, because as you say, I cook all my meat in front of the fire & I use hot rocks for baking. The kettle is used for boiling water for a hot drink & for purifying water, though I could use it for cooking plant foods if I wished.
Keith.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I was just wondering if they had dug up any frying pans at the various sites or if they were listed in inventories . I suppose anything that existed could have been dragged along. Just watched a JAS Townsend video on making salt pork, I think ill be better off getting a big lump of unsliced bacon. Without a canoe or pack horse I don't think carrying a small keg about is a runner!

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Winter? Really winter? You've forgotten your 60" trail-breaker snowshoes and repair kit which should include a Mocotaugan knife.
36" new in one night is a real chore.

are you still allowed to carry a flintlock pistol in Australia?! I thought they'd be banned after Port Arthur...?!

interesting to see you have 3knifes on your list--what zigzagtly is a legging knife and what's its purpose?!

Carrying a flintlock pistol is illegal in NSW Australia if it is a replica, or if you are on public lands. My pistol is an original 18th century flintlock, & I only carry it on my own property Forrestdweller.
The legging knife is carried in one's legging, it is basically a back-up to the hunting knife. Sometimes when working fast butchering game one can glance against bone which will dull the edge of the blade. Rather than take the time to sharpen the blade, I will continue using the legging knife. It is also a good back-up for self-defence, the legging knife is easy to get at.
Legging%20Knife%201_zpsnabb3zsv.jpg

Legging%20Knife%203_zpssd7r5aba.jpg

Pistol%203_zps1dzmi8c9.jpg

Winter? Really winter? You've forgotten your 60" trail-breaker snowshoes and repair kit which should include a Mocotaugan knife.
36" new in one night is a real chore.

I do have a crooked knife Robson, but choose not to carry it on normal treks. Snow has not got that deep here in New England for a long time now, & I have never needed to wear snow shoes.
Keith.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Dust on mine as well. It quit snowing in the valley about 2 whole months earlier than usual this year.
Plus, we've seen no equivalent rainfall (maybe saved up for this coming weekend.)
I was pruning grape vines most of the day, the soil felt like I was walking on stone.

Question. Do you set up any sort of a base camp and explore out from that for a time then move on?

Dust on mine as well. It quit snowing in the valley about 2 whole months earlier than usual this year.
Plus, we've seen no equivalent rainfall (maybe saved up for this coming weekend.)
I was pruning grape vines most of the day, the soil felt like I was walking on stone.

Question. Do you set up any sort of a base camp and explore out from that for a time then move on?

I have used base camps, & will hopefully be constructing a log cabin soon.

Snow%20Walk%20for%20trek%20video%2017-7-2015%20004_zpshwbmguyu.jpg

Making%20Camp%20full_zpslppv5aie.jpg

Carrying a flintlock pistol is illegal in NSW Australia if it is a replica, or if you are on public lands. My pistol is an original 18th century flintlock, & I only carry it on my own property Forrestdweller.
The legging knife is carried in one's legging, it is basically a back-up to the hunting knife. Sometimes when working fast butchering game one can glance against bone which will dull the edge of the blade. Rather than take the time to sharpen the blade, I will continue using the legging knife. It is also a good back-up for self-defence, the legging knife is easy to get at.

aahh -- that answers my questions:rolleyes:

I have no problems with firearms (as long as they're in the hands of responsible persons) and have used them myself for hunting, I just couldn't remember seeing anyone with a sidearm "" out bush"" during my time in gods own country.....
is that pistol barrel steel or brass?!

and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one carrying more than one knife (+ chopping tool):D I presume that legging knife is a replica of a historic original, too---- where does it come from?! ( reminds me somehow of the standard (and low-quality....) Korean kitchen knifes sold everywhere here on markets)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE