My DIY Ferro Rod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Bought a ferro Rod from a Army Surplus store in Glasgow...What a piece of Crap, so after some searching around i found a guy selling some large rods...Some sawing and whittling later and i had a Monster in my hands.

Here's a pic of the Crap i payed £5 for and the "Sabre Tooth" i knocked up for less than £12.

Sparks Galore.
Snapshot_20141204_1_zpsf598d479.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
a standard light my fire ferro rod is rated to supposedly take 12,000 strikes, so that thing should last you till you are about 350 years old :lmao: PS who is the boxer in background, looks like Ali ?

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
a standard light my fire ferro rod is rated to supposedly take 12,000 strikes, so that thing should last you till you are about 350 years old :lmao: PS who is the boxer in background, looks like Ali ?
Yeah, It'll go a long way. lol it weighs in at 4&3/4 ounces
The Pic on the wall, It's the famous Ali grinning at his foe Liston on the canvas after flooring him pic...

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Yeah, It'll go a long way. lol it weighs in at 4&3/4 ounces
The Pic on the wall, It's the famous Ali grinning at his foe Liston on the canvas after flooring him pic...

you mean the ''Big Ugly Bear'' as the Lousville Lip called him, sounds a bit like your ferro rod :lmao: just kidding, ATB :)

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
you mean the ''Big Ugly Bear'' as the Lousville Lip called him, sounds a bit like your ferro rod :lmao: just kidding, ATB :)
That's the one...If Ali hadn't went down the Boxing route he would have been The World champion at Comedy.
He had great Vocabulary and the sharpest of minds and he used them well. Not heard from him in a while,..(please dont tell me he passed) but no doubt he will still have those moments of pure genius.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
That's the one...If Ali hadn't went down the Boxing route he would have been The World champion at Comedy.
He had great Vocabulary and the sharpest of minds and he used them well. Not heard from him in a while,..(please dont tell me he passed) but no doubt he will still have those moments of pure genius.

he always said if he wasn't a boxer he would be the best of whatever he did even if that meant being the best dustbin man, he's still with us though very ill, i watched the latest film documentary about him the other day called ''I Am Ali'' which was very good, it documents his life and is great viewing, you can watch it here in this link if you wish

http://putlocker.is/watch-i-am-ali-online-free-putlocker.html

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Thanks, I'm on it. Just for the Record...Tyson is another sharp tack from the boxing camp. Third best Heavy Weight of all Time. The Brown Bomber being number 2. :wink:

yeah Iron Mike could lift a man off his feet with a punch, ken norton was also a terrific boxer he broke Ali's jaw, Tyson features in the 'I Am Ali' film, hope you enjoy the film :)

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Could you share where you sourced the blank rod from, the only blanks I've found on the 'bay are ridiculously overpriced
I'll share no problem but what would you call a ferro rod over priced.?? this one is 1/2 " thick x 130 mm/5+ inches long and it cost me just under £12. i thought it was a great deal though i would like to get my hands on them at source for a bulk buy..The wood handle cost me nothing other than time to harvest and shape and the glue to hold the rod in place is harvested pine pitch, once again Mother nature gives...like to keep things as natural as pos.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281446135432?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited:

leon-1

If it's just for personal use It'll last for a good period of time (probably a decade or more). I would try to use it evenly so that it goes square rather than round that way you'll get better wear and tear from it.

If, on the other hand, you are teaching and doing demonstrations using it then expect a couple of years out of it, at a push 2 and a quarter.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
If it's just for personal use It'll last for a good period of time (probably a decade or more). I would try to use it evenly so that it goes square rather than round that way you'll get better wear and tear from it.

If, on the other hand, you are teaching and doing demonstrations using it then expect a couple of years out of it, at a push 2 and a quarter.
Hence the reason i used pine pitch glue. when i want to turn the Rod around i just place the Rod end on the cooker or fire, The heat transfer up the rod softens up the glue enough to turn the Rod around. once it cools the pine pitch does it's job again. fantastic stuff

Last edited:

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Wow. That's some serious beast, Stevie!

Big question for me though, is how well does it work? My main worry with things from Fleabay is that potentially its some cheap and nasty import. And by "cheap", I am talking about quality, not price.
Personally, I really hope it works brilliantly for you, cos if it does, I tyoo will be buying one and mounting it in a chunk of antler. Although maybe not quite the size of the "Sabre Tooth" there mate ;)

Last edited:

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Buy 3 and then keep the cost below the import duty threshold of £18

Leon, I hate to be the bearer of bad news mate, but Import a LOT of stuff from abroad and that threshold limit is now just £15.00 before VAT is payable. What's worse is that Customs will take your declared value AND the shipping cost, add them together and use that value to see if VAT or Duty + VAT is payable :'( https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

I have though, just bought a 1/2" x 5" rod to try out and the stupid price of just £3.30 delivered from the Philippines, which has got to be worth the gamble on whether its a good piece of kit or not. Will advise is the gamble turned out to be a complete waste of money or not. Anyone else wanting to try one for themselves, I got mine from here, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141394176012?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=440537836777&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE