My daughters kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Finally I`m finished with my daughters kuksa.
I was thinking of handing it over to her on her 3 year birthday this autumn, but she wants it now. And who can argue against your own daughter :) .

e9e26db8.jpg
e9e26dba.jpg

The cup is made of birch with a piece of reindeer antler as handle. The small dots around the lanyard hole is silver tread. The wood came from a tree only about 10 cm in diametre and the cup is quite small, but so is my daughter too. The size is perfect for her.
She has followed the whole prosess of making the cup and is very eager to take it into use.

Tor

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Tor,

That is lovely, I'm not surprised you little girl wants it now and doesn't want to wait until her birthday. A truly wonderful gift.

Brian

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
When making the cup I used a Sandvik laplander saw, a mora slojd knife and a spoon knife from mora. The final finish is done with coarse file and sandpaper. To carve the notch for the antler handle I used a small cheap carving iron. To form the antler I used the saw and a fine file. The antler handle is glued to the wood with epoxy (araldit).
The lanyard hole and holes for the silver treads is made by an Skil power drill.
Below is some pics from the making of the cup.

Kokse1.jpg

kokse2.jpg

kokse2a.jpg

kokse3.jpg

It was not until the cup was almost finished I decided I would use antler as a handle. You can see on the last picture that I`ve outlined the handle attachement with a pencil. Even another option as well.

It didn`t take that long to make the cup in itself. The coarse shape and carving of the bowl took about 4 ours. But then the cup was laid away for 6 months. Then I shaped the antler handle. Took a couple of ours. Both things were laid away in a drawer for about 3 months until last week when I finally assembled the whole thing and finished it up.

Tor

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
WOW!

I've had one on the go for about 8 months now, I think I'll have another crack at it at the weekend!

Thanks for the inspiration.

:You_Rock_

Stewey. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE