My cook kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Hi all

Thought I'd post some pics of my current cook kit, there's a few bits I want to change but generally it works pretty well for me.
21718ed3.jpg

That's it packed, and here it is unpacked up. I'm looking for a suitable bit of metal for a wind shield, but till I find it my recycled hobo stove will have to do.
e6284a4c.jpg

691c1f07.jpg

cb67445f.jpg

2fd73742.jpg

f496e909.jpg

Or if I'm traveling light, I can just take this, and a few solid fuel blocks with my brew kit. The mug takes 500ml to the brim, so you can easily do some pasta etc in it, and you can be boiling water in the bottle to purify it.
74872ebe.jpg

3e380331.jpg

Let me know what you think, and any ideas on how to improve it are most welcome.

Cheers

Mat

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Nice kit!

As to the windshield, I use some 0.5mm Aluminium sheet I bought from B&Q for about £7 but I reckon you could get it cheaper on Ebay? At this thickness it will self stand...
018-2.jpg

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
From my pic you can see the holes I made in my windshield for air-flow but I think there maybe too many holes and too large so maybe some experiments are merited to get enough air in without compromising the weal alcohol flame?

Steve.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
For the small meths stoves a Fray bentos Steak and Kidney PUDDING tin works well with a series of small holes around the base and the burner inside. NOT pie tins but the trad shaped pudding one!

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
From my pic you can see the holes I made in my windshield for air-flow but I think there maybe too many holes and too large so maybe some experiments are merited to get enough air in without compromising the weal alcohol flame?

Steve.[/

I'd have thought you could probably get away without any air holes in your windshield as the flames can suck in any air they need from the gap at the front, worth a try if you've and of the Ali sheet left. In the back of my pot stand I've put a few air holes as the stand is pretty much a sealed unit, but I used a small bit (4mm I think) as these should let the air in without being big enough to let a strong breeze come through. Though with the trangia in I think it sucks most of the air it needs through the bottom half of the cut out at the front, then the flames exit through the top half.

The Frey bentos tin idea is a great idea, I might give that a go. *licks his lips* lol

Cheers

Mat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE