My compass has died (again!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Silva have a paragraph in their compass documentation which states:

'Never expose compasses to extreme temperatures (above + 60°C or below -40°C), or to magnetic fields such as knives, radio speakers, magnets etc. Such exposure can cause permanent damage to them.'

Personally I've never had any issues with mine...

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
This is the third one to do so in the past three years....both my silva ones got a bubble and the last one no longer points North.
My kit usually last me forever, I'm not careless or harsh on it, but I have*no*luck with compasses. Now I'm wondering, is there anything in my bag that I really ought not to keep my compass next to? Is there anything that might de-magnetise it? Similarly, will the compass affect my bank cards?
Just wondering....
Cheers,
Toddy

I knew I read this somewhere ( backpacker mag, ask the experts):
Compass Bubbles

Q.} What causes–and how do you prevent–air bubbles from showing up in liquid filled compasses? Just about every liquid filled compass I have used usually gets a small air bubble in it.
Submitted by:

A.} First off, Mark, never fear: a small bubble in your compass will not affect its accuracy. Bubbles can form from high elevation or exposure to cold temperatures, which cause the liquid to contract, leaving an air bubble behind. Usually, the bubble will disappear when the compass is returned to sea level and/or room temperature. If it doesn't, place it in a warm spot-like a sunny windowsill-so the liquid can heat, expand, and return to it's normal volume.

Hope this helps you out!:)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Mmmmm! Last night I had a few beers and as one does I watched an episode of Q.I. Well Stephen Fry said that the magnetic poles will swap place so that compass needles will point south instead, " it happens every million years or so" he said.
Well I checked with my compass and the needle still pointed to the oven in the kitchen, which I know is north, as there is nothing but sea between it and the north pole.
So is my compass broke or was it an April the first re-run of Q.I. that I was watching???

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D :rolleyes:

So far, touch wood, the Suunto is lasting fine :approve: but I still check which way it's pointing before I set off where I might need it :bluThinki
I don't think I quite trust the blighters anymore :eek:

cheers.
Toddy

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
As Toddy says I always check my compass before going out and always take a spare in my pack, so far i have never had one break, just left nicely positioned on rocks for someone else to be able to find their way home:twak:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE