My combo Leather and wood sheath is finally finished-ish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi,
Posted this in my old thread and since there wasn't so much as a "Hmmmm not bad Biker" reply I figured you hadn't seen it. So here it is in a thread all of it's own.

Finally got the knife sheath finished on Monday. Spent a goodly part of Sunday making up the leather part. SWMBO had an old leather handbag with a busted zip that she was about to bin so I saved it and dismembered it before she could ask me to repair the zip Muahahahahahhaaa. So the cover/buckle flap was big enough so I used that for the wrap around part. Hopefully the photos will show you the process of how I got to the end result.

Amongst the firewood we bought back in late 2009 was a log with a burr on it. Knowing what this was I sliced it off with my chainsaw and kept it in a netting bag to season. Sliced off another piece of the log that showed spalting and decided to use that for the wood part of the sheath.

Woodnleather01.jpg

Cut a rectangle piece and then cut it again length ways for each half of the sandwich part that covers the blade.

Woodnleather02.jpg

Rather than cut out a housing to accept the blade I had a thin piece of mahogany so I cut that to the shape of the blade and used that as the sandwich "filling" Do you think I used enough G clamps?

Woodnleather03.jpg

After shaping it and testing it for balance and form (I'm so full of BS) I cut the tenon to slot into the leather. I wanted the leather to be flush with the wood.

Woodnleather04.jpg

Showing the luncheon meat filling.

Woodnleather05.jpg

Now comes the tricky part. I folded the paper around the handle and set out where the centre line was and worked out the fold plus allowing for plenty of waste.

Woodnleather06.jpg

Cut the leather using those heavy duty scissors. They go through leather really nicely.

Woodnleather07.jpg

Testing it around the handle, yup looking good so far.

Woodnleather08.jpg

Used the existing stitching line to make a feature of the holes I then drilled and sewed up my own following the shape of the handle. Soaked the leather then and covered the wooden handle with cling film as described in many tutorials I've read. Thanks for those.

Woodnleather09.jpg

Spring clamps to make sure the leather stays in place. Now at this stage I also glued it to the wood using a special glue I'd seen used here in France. Would you believe the activator for this glue is water? It's made by Bostick and is good for interior and exterior woodwork. It bubbles up like expanding foam a bit too. That wood and leather joint ain't going anywhere!

Woodnleather10.jpg

Final fitting. Waste leather trimmed off down the sewn edge. My stitching leaves a lot to be desired, it does let it down, but I'm getting better. 2 coats on linseed oil applied to the beech burr (wood part)

Woodnleather11.jpg

An arty shot.

Woodnleather12.jpg

And how the thing looks without the flash on. The wooden part of the sheath is more golden and is VERY touchy feely I have to say.
The leather is more suede than smooth finished shoe type leather. The rough finish feels good when holding it.

Woodnleather13.jpg

Not sure if I want this hanging on my belt or as a carry in a bag type knife, so I left off the dangler part on the brass ring. It takes two hands to take the knife out so haning on my belt would be a drag.

Anyway here it is, my first combi wood and leather sheath. Well pleased with the result. I plan on making one like this for a sheath knife I inherited from my Dad a Solingen Monarch deer handled bowie knife. That has a balde length of about 7 inches. Can't wait to get on with that project sometime.

Thanks for viewing.

Biker

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
that looks simply stunning Biker...a great work of art there. I might steal this idea and have a go myself!! ;)

Just out of curiosity, what is the wood on the blade handle?

Many thanks...

Biker

Thanks for the replies already. I should point out I didn't make the knife, I bought it from a seller over at the Bristish Blades forum lastyear. Seller named Paul Holtom. As for what wood the handle is made from, I'd say tree wood :lmao:. My best and only guess. I may be a carpenter by trade but knowing exotic woods isn't my forté. Anyone recognise it and want to supply that info, feel free to chip in.

I'm pretty sure the black part is plastic/resin of some sort, it's certainly not ebony that's for sure.

Yeah Craeg, so much nice wood goes up in smoke here in France, it breaks my heart sometimes, but you can only salvage so much or go cold. That burr was a rare find, but I'm going to ask my friend who supplied to nab any others if he sees them before he lobs then in the wood stack.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... those G cramps could have been a bit bigger!!!

I think Aaron must have been rummaging around in my toolbox!

Nice idea for a sheath Aaron, do the parts seem to hold together well? I'd be just a bit worried about them parting company sometime. I considered getting something done with a wooden insert rather than having the wood exposed, but it wouldn't be so tactileical and it would make it much more bulky so I shelved the idea. Still need to do something for my old Scout knife though.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Nice work there! And very different too!
But looking at it, I have 2 remarks.suggestions; 1) the wooden piece of the sheath looks awesome. You should have made a complete one in wood, just for the looks of it.
2) it might have looked better if you would have had one 1 seam and place that at the back.

just my 2 remarks.... uhhhh cents.. :)

Biker

Thanks again for the comments chaps.

G clamps, well, I did use the smaller ones I have. I save he bigger ones are for bigger jobs of course. Using the sash cramps seemed a bit OTT. Parking under the wheel of my car was plain stoopid.

Ged. As far as parting company goes are you talking about the wood seperating? Or the wood and leather parting company? The latter should stay together withthe bostick glue I used. After I glued it up I showed SWMBO and she tried pulling the wooden end off isntead of the knife out. it had only been glued for 2 hours. So yeah I'd safely say it passed muster on that front. As for the laminates parting. the leather will hold it together I'm sure.

RonW Thanks for the comments and advice. The seam down the back was an idea I considered, but rejected it since it's a ridge that I'd rather not having rubbing between me and the sheath. The smooth back in now has works better for me. I was planning on flattening the leather over but the glue stuck it so well it just wouldn't smooth over.
I do indeed plan on making a complete wood one for my late father's old Solingen Monarch Bowie knife. At least a similar version to this since I need some means of keeping the knife in the sheath. And since the bowie has a 7 inch blade it means I'll have more wood on show. The Monarch has a deer antler handle so it'll be made of 4 parts Antler, metal, wood and leather. Neat eh?

Thanks again for all the feedback. Feel really smug about the whole thing. Thanks

C

chrish5622

I really like this sheat, very nice made, thx for the good pictures and explanation, maybe I`ll try making one myself in the future.

Chris

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks very nice!
Could the black bit in the knife be buffali horn - it would be unusual fo a maker to stick plastic in a nice handle like that...
As to the sheath for your dads knife - have you thought of a totally wooden one in the Scandinavian stylee where the wood is carved 3 dimentionally...
Get a lump of wood and cut it in two, rebate the insides of the wood to fit the knife but tight on the handle.
Then cut away the wood at the sides of the handle area so that when you rejoin the two pieces to make the sheath there are gaps in the wood up each side of the sheath at the sides (along the back and belly of the handle)...
The wood needs to be fairly thin so that it is springy to hold the knife but allow it to fit in and out.... and you then profile the outside of the wood to follow the contours of the knife.
A belt loop can be hollowed out of the back section of the sheath as well or a leather strap pinned on.
This is traditionally done in antler but I have seen wooden versions... but I do not know what wood was used though birch is my guess:)
I hope that makes sense!
Just an idea - should be easy for a woodworking genius who can make Pinochio live!:D

Biker

Thanks John, I read through your reply twice and understood what you're saying about the all wooden sheath idea. Yeah sounds like it oculd be done, however on my Dad's knife, as you hold it in your right hand the antler handle has a big knobbly lump poking out just where your thumb would rest, It feel good in the hand but would make a sheath as you describe ugly if not really bulky. Whereas a leather sock at the end for the handle to cup into won't be so "in your face".

Many thanks for your suggestion, I might use that idea on another knife in the future.

Thanks too for the comments on the sheath above. Glad you liked it, and thanks for your initial advice when I asked about leather and wood combinations. Buffalo horn? yeah it could be. I could ask the bloke over at BB who made it, but I'm afraid if I go there the site will fall over again. LOL!

Pinochio is alive and well and under several coats of linseed oil now. I haven't seen him in a while but I bet he looks great for that treatment.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE