My attempt at a Biker Bow Saw....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Can I first explain I've a lot of ambition creatively, but at school was pushed to drop techy subjects to concentrate on passing exams, then when I qualified as a Telecom Engineer, ended up in office/computer based jobs. Kind of like all the gear & no idea but more lots of ideas but not a clue.

So I'm breaking myself in gently at this DIY bushcraft making lark.

Got a big ambitious list of things I want to do though...

Anyway, first I made a birch walking stick, which is still in use, then I bought & cleaned up & put an edge on a camp axe tomahawk, then I built a collapsible bow saw out of pine - which was VERY rustic & fiddly (i.e. a bit of a mess - but it worked).

So I'd built up my confidence & was going to build a better bowsaw when I found the thread of Biker's with his variant on a collapsible bow saw. I made it out of a couple of offcuts of Elm from Lanarkshire Hardwoods http://www.lanarkshirehardwoods.co.uk/ who I'd heartily recommend - especially if you're looking for some extremely pretty burr wood...

B_sawassembled.jpg

I used t-nuts & M6 bolts to attach the blade, t-nuts & cut-off M6 bolts for the collapsible joints, with wing-nuts to secure them, and a piece of 8mm aluminum tube to reinforce the joint in the middle of the upright piece of wood. The 2 ends can be clamped together with the wing nuts when the saw is collapsed, making it a fairly compact bundle:

B_sawcollapsed.jpg

Someone on Biker's thread rightly mentioned the losability (if that's a word) of the wing nuts, so I've attached a couple of spares & a spare spanner from a dremel (fits the nuts holding the blade) using a split ring - until I make a carrying case for the saw with a pocket for them. (This was plan B, after burning out 3 drill bits drilling through 1 wing nut wing, I gave up on plan A).

Spannersparewnuts.jpg

I've used it to salvage half a dozen 3-4inch thick Laburnum logs from a neighbor's tree-trimming & that wood is SOLID - the saw cut it fine. The wood when seasoned should make some really nice knife scales/handles and with one bit a possible crook-handle. Next job will be cutting some hazel trunks to get a couple of potential one piece crooks - if I manage to make them I'll be plenty confident from then on -!!).

Other items shown are the camp axe (thanks to British Red for his how sharpen an axe thread), a MeettheGeeks Pirates Prybaaaarrrgh (see British Blades forum for details) which includes a file for any nasty dings on the axe, and a couple of FGYT's DFF friction folder blades. As my confidence grows (and bills for tools and materials grows even faster) I plan to make some nice horn handles for them.

Thanks for looking folks & a BIG THANKS to Biker for the inspiration!

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Really glad to see yet another version of "my" little invention. Looks like your breaking into the DIY stuff is off to a good start, thanks for picking my idea as a starter. You're welsome to it and thanks for the acknowledgement.

I used mine up the woods just after christmas on a walkabout with my mate Paul and my brother. Worked a treat to but my brother was most impressed with my hobo stove and Lynx burner.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Cheers Biker, credit where it's due. I must admit to researching all kinds of creative joining methods - breakdown hinges from acting, blank keys (still think that might be a goer) - 2 keyholes in the 2 spars and a key that fits through then turns to lock the joint....

Anyway - next job a scabbard/case for the saw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE