My air rifle Comparison, cheap vs not so cheap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
whipped this one up today, this time its between my BSA lightning and the SMk B2, Take a look and enjoy

[video=youtube;deEdrdcWyu0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deEdrdcWyu0[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The HW80 is not a bad rifle, but it's worth doing a bit to smooth up the firing cycle. I've made delrin spring guides for mine, which was rather twangy when I got it (second hand), its quite silky now, but still not as good as my TX200 which is so smooth its almost as easy to shoot as a pre-charged.

Plenty of info on the above over on airgun bbs.

Dave

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Great rifles the HW80, really great triggers and absolutely bomb proof, just horrible straight from the box like alot of springers and really need a relube to shoot nicely. A lazerglided HW80 is a totally different animal altogether, as good as any airrifle you can get.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Great rifles the HW80, really great triggers and absolutely bomb proof, just horrible straight from the box like alot of springers and really need a relube to shoot nicely. A lazerglided HW80 is a totally different animal altogether, as good as any airrifle you can get.

What's laser gliding? I've got a much cherished HW80K and wouldn't mind pimping it up a bit.

W

wildjim

whipped this one up today, this time its between my BSA lightning and the SMk B2, Take a look and enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deEdrdcWyu0

My daughter shot 10 m target some years ago. We have a bunch of Diana .177 spring airguns which shoot from 850 fps and 1000 fps and 1250 fps, Gamo .177 airguns at 1000 fps all are scoped.

Also a couple Tech Force 99 co2 .177 700 fps with peep sights, extremely accurate!

Most of ours are nearly as powerful as a .22 rimfire.

What is the UK airgun .177 velocity limit?

My daughter shot 10 m target some years ago. We have a bunch of Diana .177 spring airguns which shoot from 850 fps and 1000 fps and 1250 fps, Gamo .177 airguns at 1000 fps all are scoped.

Also a couple Tech Force 99 co2 .177 700 fps with peep sights, extremely accurate!

Most of ours are nearly as powerful as a .22 rimfire.

What is the UK airgun .177 velocity limit?

no velocity limit just a Muzzle energy limit 12ft lbs

about 810 fps for a 8.4 grain pellet
lighter pellets can go faster velocity is meaningless without weight ;)

a 177 air rifle is no way near a Rimfire 20ft lbs is a good high power 177 ( ie not a Gammo or Daisy ) rimfires run in the 80-150 ft lbs
unless your shooting special low power ammo

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:
W

wildjim

no velocity limit just a Muzzle energy limit

about 810 fps for a 8.4 grain pellet
lighter pellets can go faster velocity is meaningless without weight ;)

ATB

Duncan

Just curious as airguns are marketed by FPS here in the US with most at 1000 fps with a 7.9 gr pellet in .177 caliber, about 900 fps seems the most useful to me for accuracy and power, 700 fps with common 7.9 gr pellet is plenty for small game in range.

I tried the Gamo high velocity (light 5.4 gr) pellet but it wasn't as accurate as a common 7.9 gr pellet. The light pellet will break the sound barrier in 1000 fps designed airgun and crack like a .22 rimfire, interesting but accuracy suffers.

Just curious as airguns are marketed by FPS here in the US with most at 1000 fps with a 7.9 gr pellet in .177 caliber, about 900 fps seems the most useful to me for accuracy and power, 700 fps with common 7.9 gr pellet is plenty for small game in range.

I tried the Gamo high velocity (light 5.4 gr) pellet but it wasn't as accurate as a common 7.9 gr pellet. The light pellet will break the sound barrier in 1000 fps designed airgun and crack like a .22 rimfire, interesting but accuracy suffers.

yes i see all US adverts seem to have 1000fps as the big selling point but never mention the pellet weight

heres a Ft lbs calculator site

with common pellet weights
pretty usfull but wrongly advises that over 6ft lbs air pistols require a FAC in fact they are not legal at all in UK :rolleyes: :(

shows your 7.9 gr at 1000fps is 17ft lbs
and a 5.4 grain at 1000fps is 12ft lbs

super sonic is going to wreck accuracy as little shuttle cock pellets arnt designd to fly htat fast and will also slow very quickly

i suspect a lot of retailers use the 5.4 to get their 1000fps claims ;)

ATB

Duncan

W

wildjim

yes i see all US adverts seem to have 1000fps as the big selling point but never mention the pellet weight

heres a Ft lbs calculator site

with common pellet weights
pretty usfull but wrongly advises that over 6ft lbs air pistols require a FAC in fact they are not legal at all in UK :rolleyes: :(

shows your 7.9 gr at 1000fps is 17ft lbs
and a 5.4 grain at 1000fps is 12ft lbs

super sonic is going to wreck accuracy as little shuttle cock pellets arnt designd to fly htat fast and will also slow very quickly

i suspect a lot of retailers use the 5.4 to get their 1000fps claims ;)

ATB

Duncan

No, even Gamo rates their airgun at 1000 fps with a common 7.9 gr pellet.

You are right the shape of a pellet isn't designed for super sonic flight, also the turbulence when going super sonic and sub sonic has an effect.

In comparison a high velocity rifle (270 winchester 130 gr @2900 fps) will fire a high velocity designed bullet at super sonic velocity and not go sub sonic during the rest of its flight to the target at a typical range of 300 m, so all it needs to be is stable at super sonic velocity.

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Great video,
Inspired me to save my pennies and get the B2 .177 (that and my upcoming wedding put a halt on all major expendatures). How have you rigged the B2 so that the scope isn't constantly getting recoiled off? Have you drilled a hole and fitted a scope stop or just used a tonne of locktite?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE