My 1st spoon atempt...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
ady05 said:
thanks a lot pipistrelle for a first atempt i was rather pleased now looking forward to trying other wood :)

My first attempt went in the fire with a sizable chunk of knuckle, so hats off to you. I kept my second which is in use as a sugar spoon. The yew spoon is my seventh I think..... take the inside of the bowl little by little and enjoy good cuts. i find starting in the middle and gradually moving out to the edges works for me, feel the grain and dare yourself a bit with the sides of the bowl, I always push myself to make it thinner each time and keep going till i bottle it. It works each time you go thinner and it gets easier.

Gailainne

Life Member
My first attempt ended up being a ladle :rolleyes: its huge, I also got a crook knife from Axminster (your right about sharp) my fingers had weird shape nicks all over them...made nice patterns on the wood tho :eek: .

After the storms last year I cut some branches from dead trees, mostly silver birch that have been in the shed so will have another go when (in a couple of months) I can sit out after work, chill a bit and do some carving.

Some of the guys here were talking about carving and a very nice little bladed knife was shown a frost 120#, axminster also do a version, what I liked was the big handle, looked like you would have a lot of control, on fine detail ( I'm at the stick man stage myself)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE