Mussel shells...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A question that has been on my mind for a while is,
Why did people in the past using flint and iron pyrities carry a mussel shell (or similar) in their fire lighting sets? as shown by RM in his Bushcraft:Aboriginal Britain program.
Was it to hold the tinder and catch the spark?
I can't actually recall if RM actually used it!

If anyone has the answer I would be intrigued to know.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I'm not doubting you Greg - but I don't remember a mussell shell being shown specifically in the context of a fire lighting kit.

That being said i've given it a bit of thought and all I can come up with are the following thoughts . I don't have an answer (I feel like i'm saying this alot tonight :rolleyes: ) but...

In the context of using a mussell shell to catch an ember I can't help but think that it would be a poor tool to catch a spark given the inherently conical shape of the base. If there's one thing i've learn in fire from flint or fire from friction it's that a stable spark platform is essential (Alright you can get away with this with charcloth, but I can't see an application where a mussell shell would be of any benefit as opposed to say putting charcloth on a flint to catch a spark direct)

A Mussell shell certainly isn't made of a material that could be used to produce a spark itself, and as far as I'm aware they are, being basically just calcium, inert as far as fuel-providing properties are concerned.

We have seen a variety of ember carriers in use in bushcraft. I suppose a mussell shell (preferably both halves) could serve in this capacity, but it's insulative properties are not high and it's size would prohibit carrying much of practicable time-value beyond something like King Alfred's cakes. Some of the flat fungi would probably work far better and last far longer on their own with a withy threaded through - airflow in a mussell shell might be too low to sustain even with KA Cakes.

So to sum up. No I can';t answer your question. It has made me think about some things though. Which is what all good questions should do. So cheers for that. :)

Maybe Rich59 will have some thoughts. He's our resident firestarter after all. :notworthy

M

mrsfiremaker

What about the shell being used as a way to scrape or cut tinder?

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Don't know about fire lighting but didn't he use a shell to grate a Yam or something?

It wasn't a mussell shell but don't remember it being a snail shell either :confused:

andy_bell

Dec 13, 2006
west yorkshire
I don't think there were to many ferro rods around in aboriginal britain.

I was of the impression that it was to do with keeping the loose scraped fibers of the horses hoof fungus in one place to make them easier to ignite.

If you made a shallow depression in the ground then filled the shell with the fibers and placed the shell into the depression you would have a stable platform to "shower" with sparks, you would also have an easily transferable ember as it would be simple to tip it from the shell int your tinder bundle.

I guess no one can know for sure but if i were to give it my best guess then that would be it.

P.s As this is my first post I really should say hi and thank every one else on here for adding to this great resource.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
hanzo said:
The shell could possibly be used as a socket for a fire bow.
I have seen a limpet shell used as a socket but never a mussell shell - are you sure it wasn't a limpet shell RM had in his kit? It does seem to ring a bell now I think about it

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Marts said:
I'm not doubting you Greg - but I don't remember a mussell shell being shown specifically in the context of a fire lighting kit.

Nah, me neither... I remember the show in question, I remember the firelighting sequence, but I don't recall any mention of a mussell shell at all.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's limpet shells we're taught got used, archaeologically/ anthroplogically.
Mussel shells are good spoons and catch alls. They also make good macarenas :D

atb,
Toddy

Gailainne

Life Member
Toddy

Are you talking about using limpets as bearing blocks on fire drills ? interesting, I would have thought it to soft for that, and its not exactly a low friction surface, but then again seeing the middens at Dunnet head they did'nt exactly lack for replacements. :rolleyes:

Stephen

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes, limpet shells. They're surprisingly effective, they fit the palm of the hand very well. If you can find a bit of grisly fat to use inside it stops a lot of the friction, but it works without. I know some folks use two shells, one on top of the other.

atb,
Toddy

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
As toddy said, limpet shells really are excellent as a bearing block, their very smooth and polish well and are tough enough and plentiful for single use.

Muscle shells can be used to make a nice hand warmer. If you find one that is empty but still complete,. i.e two halves still together you can put an ember/cramp ball and pack with grass etc and close up to keep your hands warm on a cold day. The bigger muscle variety are better.

Nick_S

Jan 2, 2007
Cornwall / Swindon
loz. said:
got my Yams and my Yaks mixed up then and had a terrible vision !

:lmao: I have a similarly graphic imagination and had similarly extraordinary mental pictures.

...grating Yaks with snail shells. We all know Ray is resourceful, but I think that's pushing it.

But to come back on topic, I didn't see the episode you're talking about, but there's a chap/chapess here who uses a limpet shell as a bearing block. (with picture).

I can't believe a mussel shell would be any good for that. On the whole they'd be too thin, too small, or just the wrong shape. :confused:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And then a SPARK!!:morpheus:

Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft pg 83 top RH picture there is a fresh water mussel shell in the neolithic period fire set!!:nana:

I knew I wasn't loosing the plot!!:red:
Only thing is it doesn't say what they are for!!:banghead:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE