Mushroom picking in Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Whether in Scotland or anywhere else, the first thing you need to do is learn to be able to ID mushrooms. If you don't already know how to do that then there are often fungi forays bring run down here, I'd imagine the same its true for up there.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's being done, but it's really robbing out some areas :sigh:
I think I'd find the suppliers, and ask if they need more pickers. Otherwise you'd be competing for markets that you don't have any in depth information on, or access t,o at present.

If nothing else what they supply will give you an idea of what's likely to sell.

There's another point though, legally you can't pick for commercial gain without the express permission of the landowner(s) and if you do, and you are found out, it's theft. (Please mind that the forum won't allow the promotion or encouragement of illegal activity) I don't know the penalties for picking without permission, though I doubt it's like the water bailiffs and the confiscation of equipment and transport as well as whatever the Sheriff throws at you.

Why the interest ? are you taking a notion to it ?

cheers,
M

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
no problem, that was my interpretation of your post anyway. Fungi and foraging in general is very worth while, and incredibly satisfying (especially if you enjoy cooking already), but my earlier comment still stands.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Picking the fruiting body of a mushroom is like picking cherries on a tree, just because the cherries are gone the tree does not die. In fact picking mushrooms distributes the spores far wider than the wind could do.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Johnnytheboy, I took that opening totally wrong :eek:

It's definitely worth while if you are sure of which ones you are picking.
Seasonality and site, and some come again in a spot so a kind of mental map's a good idea :D

I don't take that many; oysters, jelly ears, shaggy inkcap, chicken of the woods, field mushrooms, chanterelles, are really pretty much all that I use for food.
Xylaria's lists are amazing :)

Worth while checking out Fergus the Forager, Galloway wild foods, and Geoff Dann's website on a regular basis for info on what's out now.

atb,
M

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
It's fun but can be a pretty frustrating process unless you locate some very productive organisms. Even then, you can have seas of fungi one autumn and very few the next. Boletes are pretty reliable, Chanterelles can be very elusive! Beware false Chanterelles which are everywhere. When I go out on my fungi forays I often return empty handed, but when I am not looking, I often finds loads!

There is nothing more satisfying than finding and preparing your own Chanterelles! That wonderful apricoty smell.

Last edited:

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
It's being done, but it's really robbing out some areas :sigh:
I think I'd find the suppliers, and ask if they need more pickers. Otherwise you'd be competing for markets that you don't have any in depth information on, or access t,o at present.

If nothing else what they supply will give you an idea of what's likely to sell.

There's another point though, legally you can't pick for commercial gain without the express permission of the landowner(s) and if you do, and you are found out, it's theft. (Please mind that the forum won't allow the promotion or encouragement of illegal activity) I don't know the penalties for picking without permission, though I doubt it's like the water bailiffs and the confiscation of equipment and transport as well as whatever the Sheriff throws at you.

Why the interest ? are you taking a notion to it ?

cheers,
M

The penalty for picking without consent , Is A good hard kick in the **** as far as im aware ;)

Cant speak about mushroom picking in Scotland specifically but I do quite a lot in my area and regularly collect enough mushroom to make a good meal for the whole family

This time of year I mostly collect field mushrooms, horse mushrooms (found two huge ones this week), giant puffball, common and shaggy ink caps and shaggy parasols

I'm looking forward to the wood blewitts appearing very soon;
IMG00312-20111115-1440.jpg

so yes it's well worth it, if you find a good concentration of an edible fungi you can easily pick enough for a meal, although you should be careful not to completely deplete the population you find.
you will also find some mushroom that you don't need many of as they are so strongly flavored, like half free morrels.

goes without saying that you need to be very careful and confident with your ID of fungi, don't take any chances or guesses

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
I stay near Edinburgh and I can pick a few good baskets worth of good edibles within a 15 mile radius of where I live. I got these tasty bag of mixed Boletus last Saturday in an hours picking:

XnvwgQh.jpg

This was a hour of picking near Braemar:

OLGhU5y.jpg

What I find is that there doesn't seem to be many people picking so you can often get good hauls.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Mark from Galloway Wild Foods has an excellent website. http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/

He is a wealth of knowledge and one of the nicest and friendliest blokes I have met for a long time. I recently went on one of his forays and it was an excellent experience and I came away able to identify a few more edible species. He also provides you with some excellent culinary tips and recipes. All in all it was an excellent day out.

He is going to be running a costal foraging course on Arran in the spring through Arran Bushcraft. I will definitely be joining him.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE