Mushroom Logs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Watched a repeat River Cottage programme today, and they made mushroom logs. I'm no DIY, or would have access to fresh logs, but looked on tinternet, and found various companies that supply logs all ready to go.
Has anyone tried this ready made logs. The reviews seem hit and miss.
I have perfect place in the garden according to instructions.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I have been interested in these too so they can help my fungi ID.

How do you know if the fungi are the ones you are expecting...

I've currently got 24 logs inoculated with various fungi, however not many fruiting bodies yet and it's been 2 years. Other people also seem to have had trouble actually getting the logs to fruit, even following the 'shocking' instructions (dunking in water, hitting them etc, etc).

I have had reasonable success growing oyster 'shrooms on toilet roll - that's quite easy and quick to produce results.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
How do you do that then?

With the toilet rolls you just soak in boiling water (taking care), cool, pop in a plastic bag, add spawn, seal and keep dark for a few weeks, chill for a couple of days to shock the fungi into fruiting and then wait for the 'shrooms. Plenty of places sell the spawn and provide instructions.

For logs you just select a fresh appropriate log, drill holes, hammer in spawn dowels, seal with cheese wax and leave them somewhere damp to infect and hopefully get fruit in a year or two.

Full instructions here (no connection etc): http://www.annforfungi.co.uk/shop/how-to/dowels-how-to-/cat_13.html

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have 3 big logs on the go. Oyster, ****ake and Lions mane. They were white with Mycelium when i removed them from our cellar last spring, they are on the allotments now in a shady spot, but had nothing from them at all so far, there does't even look to be mycelium on them any more :(

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Got a mushroom kit box for xmas !

2014+01+09_4752_edited-1.JPG

Was very easy and quick to sprout. Finished the first flush and now drying out and letting the box regenerate for a couple of weeks before soaking and watering again for a second flush, might get a third later as well if lucky :)

Cheers, Paul

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have 3 big logs on the go. Oyster, ****ake and Lions mane. They were white with Mycelium when i removed them from our cellar last spring, they are on the allotments now in a shady spot, but had nothing from them at all so far, there does't even look to be mycelium on them any more :(

Double i in Shiitake ;)

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
I have done logs several times, sometimes with great success and with some species total failure....oyster mushrooms being one of the easiest.
Where I did go 'wrong' at the beginning was...I didn't keep the logs long enough covered. Using fresh logs where there is plenty of moisture is essential..and after putting the dowels in they need wrapping with polythene..I just pop them in black bin liners..stack them up somewhere shady, like hedge bottom and forget them at least for 6 months.
If you do them now..keep them covered until autumn and when the weather start cooling down and turning damp..bring them 'out' to fruit.
One might have to keep checking them from time to time and splash the logs with water to keep moisture levels up..and you will soon see how mycelium start growing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE