Mushroom ID please..........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Came back from holiday to find a load of these growing under the hedge...............
DSCF2074.jpg

DSCF2075.jpg

DSCF2076.jpg

I'm not planing on eating any but would like to know if their safe as i have young children about?

Cheers Richard

P.S. Their about 4" across

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Closest I can get Richard is a Macrolepiota venenata

Sounds pretty nasty but maybe wait to see what the other guys come up with before you get rid.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
IMO wild mushrooms are not worth bothering with for eating. They have little nutritional value and the penalty for making a mistaken identification can be very severe. They're also often seething with maggots!

Last year a S.E. Asian woman on the I.O.W. died as a result of eating death cap, thinking it was the very similar looking straw mushroom that she was used to gathering in her homeland. The last news I heard relating to the incident was that a relative was also poisoned at the same time, but was expected to survive but probably would need a liver transplant.

Jim

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I disagree, wild mushrooms are a seasonal delight. They are very good food, tasty, add variety and nutrient to our diets, and keeping our eyes open for them reveals so much about the world around us.

There's a huge industry of small time pickers for gourmet shops and restaurants, it's actually a big bit of the economy of lots of people.
We are patheticaly ignorant in the UK about our fungi, it's time it changed.

cheers,
Toddy

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I agree with toddy, I love my wild mushrooms. the woods I often go to is a good source for dryads saddle a lovelly full tasting mushroom, the pics look like parasol mushroom but the gills look a bit too pale so could be a shaggy parasol both of which are edible but unless you have 100% confidence in your ID of fungi leave it off the menu

fungi2bwith

Feb 27, 2008
hampshire
They look like shaggy parasols to me. The clincher will be if you cut them they will stain orange. They are a good edible. Your children might get an upset stomach if eaten raw, but they are not considered poisoness.

fungi2bwith

Feb 27, 2008
hampshire
IMO wild mushrooms are not worth bothering with for eating. They have little nutritional value and the penalty for making a mistaken identification can be very severe. They're also often seething with maggots!

Last year a S.E. Asian woman on the I.O.W. died as a result of eating death cap, thinking it was the very similar looking straw mushroom that she was used to gathering in her homeland. The last news I heard relating to the incident was that a relative was also poisoned at the same time, but was expected to survive but probably would need a liver transplant.

Jim

I disagree they do have good nutritional value. They are not high in calories but neither are most vegetables and we all eat these. Providing you study using books or get expert advice, picking wild mushrooms is safe. I have picked and eaten more than 60 varieties. I have never poisoned myself (and never intend to).

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Looks like a Shaggy Parasol to me but I have to say that I'm not the worlds leading expert on the subject so don't go taking my word as gospel.

Heres one I found a while ago and they grow to a fair size...
DSC00244.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Thanks everyone.

I've told the kids not to pick them or eat them, just to be safe.

demographic - Did yours have the ring thing on the stem?

I also found on last year around the same spot about twice the size (roughly 8")

I'll wait till I find some more and try cutting one to see if it stains orange (fungi2bwith).

Cheers

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE