Mushroom ID help please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,
went out for a wander round Harlaw reservoir this morning and found a nice shroom on my journey, it looks like a Cep, and is very close to the picture in my Collins Gem Mushroom book, but the gills look different from the description, I'll attach some links to the pictures, if one of you kind people could help ID it for me, I'd rather not poison myself :), :confused:.

http://www.andychapman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/WebandeBaypics/cep1.jpg
http://www.andychapman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/WebandeBaypics/cep2.jpg
http://www.andychapman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/WebandeBaypics/cep3.jpg
http://www.andychapman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/WebandeBaypics/cep4.jpg

the book says the underneath should have densely packed tubes not gills, but this has gills, only other one that looks close in the book is one of the Russula's but like I say I'm not sure ,so would like some advice. It also has no smell and was sticky when it was still moist.

Thanks

Andy

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2011
Ayrshire
picture of the underneath would be useful - when they say 'tubes', it is the open end of the tubes you would see, so it looks like sponge rather than the parallel folds that gills appear as.

Hi Nonsuch,

I've just looked up about the spore print, cut the stem of placed it on paper & covered with a glass , in 4 hour's we'll see & I'll take a picture & post it. They don't look or feel brittle, quite firm really, I also cut the stem in half to see if a colour change , but nothing.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I just can't keep fungi Id in my head.

last week we saw at least thirty spp on a walk,of course the books were at home though.

same with plants.

I'd need an expert with me before I'd chance eating wild 'shrooms, even if I was 99 per cent sure.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
It's a Russula, probably R. atropurpurea.

A Penny Bun (why not use the English name?) is much larger, as well as having tubes instead of gills.

EDIT: I see you are in Scotland. In which case it might be something more unusual. It does look a bit brown for atropurpurea...maybe it is R. integra, which grows with conifers, in Phillips as "occasional in the Highlands", which means it is pretty much absent from most of the UK. Impossible to tell from a photo.

Not quite sure what to make of the wikipedia entry:

Edibility

The authors of The Great Encyclopedia of Mushrooms said that the species has a crunchy texture and tastes nutty. It is popular to eat in Northern[1] and Central Europe. In Romanian, the mushroom is called pâinişoară ("little bread") due to its edibility and perceived taste and texture.[4] David Arora said that the species is good when it is young. There are species with unknown edibility that look similar to this species.[2] According to an 1878 study, poisoning from this species used to be frequent, but is now rare. The study concluded that long cooking gets rid of its poisonous properties, but that rapid culinary processes does not such as roasting.[5] In a 1871 handbook, British mycologist Mordecai Cubitt Cooke said that the flavor of the species is mild

:confused:

Last edited:
Well I left it all night on white paper under a glass and looked this morning , no print, is this due to me putting it in the fine mesh bag and hanging it from my rucksack while I was walking , did I knock all the spore's out.
Strange I thought they all left prints, ah well its in the bin now, looked a bit manky this morning , lol no way was I eating that. must admit it looked like a cep until turned upside down, never mind.
I really need to find myself a local expert in these things, all of my friend's think I'm mad when I go out looking at wildlife and plants, they don't know what they are missing as far as I'm concerned, but it would be nice to have someone who knew what they were talking about instead of having to carry all these little books about. I might be able to use some of the things I find then.

Here's to next time , I may eventually find my own little patch of Ceps that I can go back too :)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Here's to next time , I may eventually find my own little patch of Ceps that I can go back too :)

That's the wrong way to think about it, Treeclipper. They aren't your Penny Buns (why not use the English name?), and unless you own the land then it's not your patch. If you find some then you find some...

Good luck. :)

ETA: technically, even if it is your land, they still aren't your Penny Buns. If somebody comes onto your land and takes them then you can take civil action to discourage further trespassing, but there will technically have been no theft, because nobody owns wild mushrooms.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
That's the wrong way to think about it, Treeclipper. They aren't your Penny Buns (why not use the English name?), and unless you own the land then it's not your patch. If you find some then you find some...

Good luck. :)

ETA: technically, even if it is your land, they still aren't your Penny Buns. If somebody comes onto your land and takes them then you can take civil action to discourage further trespassing, but there will technically have been no theft, because nobody owns wild mushrooms.

good grief ! it was only a turn of phrase !! what utter beaurocratic (sp) cobblers !!

It was only a turn of phrase, I don't understand why people have to be like that, I only meant someplace I could go once or twice a year to maybe pick myself some breakfast without poisoning myself. Just to say ~I went out and did something myself of my own back , without having to go out and spend money. I'm trying to further my knowledge I thought that was a good thing . I called them Cep's as I didn't know there full name and it was quicker and easier to type. Jeez I came here for advice not to be lectured.

thanks to everyone else for their help.
Nonsuch : I'll try that next time , half white , half black.

It's a Russula, probably R. atropurpurea.

A Penny Bun (why not use the English name?) is much larger, as well as having tubes instead of gills.

EDIT: I see you are in Scotland. In which case it might be something more unusual. It does look a bit brown for atropurpurea...maybe it is R. integra, which grows with conifers, in Phillips as "occasional in the Highlands", which means it is pretty much absent from most of the UK. Impossible to tell from a photo.

Not quite sure what to make of the wikipedia entry:

:confused:

I think you may be right about it being a rusula integra, I 've spent about 25mins looking through pictures on the net & it's almost identical, so cool I found myself a rare mushroom for scotland & one I could of ate. I'm happy , I've learned something. :You_Rock_

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
It was only a turn of phrase, I don't understand why people have to be like that, I only meant someplace I could go once or twice a year to maybe pick myself some breakfast without poisoning myself. Just to say ~I went out and did something myself of my own back , without having to go out and spend money. I'm trying to further my knowledge I thought that was a good thing . I called them Cep's as I didn't know there full name and it was quicker and easier to type. Jeez I came here for advice not to be lectured.

thanks to everyone else for their help.
Nonsuch : I'll try that next time , half white , half black.

Please don't take it personally Treeclipper...there's lots of different sorts of people who go out picking mushrooms, from true bushcrafters/foragers who understand the bigger picture to people who are only interested in picking as much as possible so they can sell the mushrooms to restaraunts. I spend a lot of time talking to people about this stuff in different places, and perhaps this has led to me to have a bit of a hard-nosed attitude to some of the less desirables, if you know what I mean. I've lost count of the amount of rare and inedible fungi people have picked hoping they were edible, sometimes by the basketful, and then posted pictures for ID. To be fair though, I've seen very little of the wrong sort on this board, presumably because most of the people here have a good understanding of the need to respect the natural world.

nope I'm definitely not in it for the mass harvest , just want to learn and if I can get something nice to eat out of it once and a while I'm even happier.
My eldest daughter comes out with me sometimes & I would hate to to teach her something that could harm her or anything else( well unless its catching something to eat.. you see the theme here :) ).

Sorry I took offense at what you said , I was in a mood anyway and shouldn't have replied in the way I did.

:)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
That's OK. I'm used to upsetting people...

I think you may be right about it being a rusula integra, I 've spent about 25mins looking through pictures on the net & it's almost identical, so cool I found myself a rare mushroom for scotland & one I could of ate. I'm happy , I've learned something.

Something like 20% of British fungi can't be found anywhere else in Britain apart from the Highlands. If you're a rare mushroom spotter, that is definately the place to go. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE