munro or sabre.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
Hi all. Need a new pack and am considering either Berghaus munro or Karrimor sabre 30. Which is best ? Cant decide. Looked at both in the flesh but still no good. Any thoughts or should i get something else ? Thanks

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Hi Jura. Thats a hard question. I own and use a Berghaus (not sure which one), it's a 30 litre pack and good. I also own and use a Sabre 45, which isn't used as much, and I haven't had it as long as my Berghaus. I personally would say go for the cheaper pack. Both brands are good quality and you should be able to return either if there is a problem, so for me it would be the one that costs less.

Not much help I'm afraid. ATB....Stu

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Are the actual carry systems any different? By that i mean the back padding and straps. If the dimensions are different then i'd suggest trying both on. I read a tip about this in the 'Trail magazine buyers guide 07' which suggests that when trying rucksack's / bergans on in a shop, ask the assistant to fill it with climbing rope or some other items. That way you've got a better idea how it will feel when loaded with your stuff. I cannot imagine that you'd be carting it around empty! This should tell you which is most suitable and comfortable for you.

By the way, i've never used a Karrimor Sabre 30 and i've heard good things about it, but i swear by my Berghaus Munro with side pouches. I've had it longer than i care to remember, treat it with Nikwax tent and equipment proofer and use an Artkis liner. Even if i'm soaked to the skin, my Munro contents are bone dry. Therfore i'd go for the Munroas i know it's bullet proof (not literally!).

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi JURA
I was in the same dilemma recently, needing a replacement for my Karrimor Hot Rock which I've had for more than 20 years ! Because I couldn't get to look at an actual Munro sac, and because I had been very happy with the Karrimor, I have just bought a Sabre 35, So far I'm very happy with it, it is large enough for my daysac needs and would do for a short overnigt trip, the quality of the fabric and stitching is good and most importantly it is comfortable to carry.
Hope this helps :)
Cheers,
Doug.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Based on experience, I find that if the contents of the daypack are heavy (carrying a lot of water for instance) and one is walking some distance, then a daypack with hip pads makes for a much more comfortable time.

Best regards,
Paul.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
On the Munro you can attach side pockets, on the Sabre 30 you can't.
I've got a Sabre 30 and can fit in a 700 gr. 2 season sleeping bag, 3/4 TaR, 12 cm billy, crusader mug with waterbottle, and all other kit I need on a short weekend trip (with some ingenuity I can fit everything into the sac, excluding my bivi bag rolled up and placed vertically at a side (without sleeping bag) but including 2 days food (expensive hydrated stuff)).

The sabre 30 has some small pockets at the side where you store a crusader waterbottle, but will not accept an additional crusader mug ... :(

IIRC when I saw them next to each other I had the idea the Munro is bigger than the Sabre ...

To make your life even more harder: take a look at the Sabre 35, which has small sidepouches. (This would be my choice, if I had to buy a new pack, as these small pouches would be real handy ... FAK, waterbottle, etc. - easily accessible without opening your whole pack).

HTH :)

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Sabre 45. It means you can add side pockets and have a good 65-70 litre pack, but also has compression straps so will also work with not much in it as a daysack. Good back system and hipbelt.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I've got a Sabre 30. It’s a good simple daysack. The back system is ok and the straps are good, however, I find the size a little annoying at times. It's just, and I mean just, a little bit too small for anything more than a "day" sack i.e. something to take for a walk in the woods. Ahjno I'm impressed that you can fit that much in! By the time I've got my warm kit (buffalo type smock), a few id books, gaiters etc in it seems to fill up very rapidly. When the main sack is full it's also very hard to fit anything into the little "wand pockets" (I think that’s what they call them!) on the side.

I've not used the Sabre 45 but I suspect that it may be a better choice. Again no experience with the Munro either so can't help there.

......... just to throw something else into the mix .....have you considered the Karrimor Delta 35? I've got the 25 and again find it an excellent little pack ..... but again I think the extra 10L would make a world of difference. The "wand pockets" on this are made of elasticated mesh and designed to hold the issue black water bottle ..... in fact they have little elastic toggles to go round the top of the bottle to keep them secure in the pocket. The back system is as good if not a little better than the Sabre 30/45. It is also small at the top and flares towards the base so everything sits low and secure on your hips giving a feeling of stability ........ and one of the most important parts ..... as it sits low on the back it's less likely to catch on branches when you duck under them! It has an outside map pocket and a small "key" pocket inside as well as a separate compartment inside for a water bladder ...... although I find it more useful for separating kit.

My only worry with the sack is that it is secured with a water resistant zip ..... I've never had any trouble with it and I've never heard of anyone having trouble with it but I can't shake the feeling that this is a point of weakness.

Anyway hope that was food for thought.

Here are a few pics of the Delta 25:-

IMG_1879.jpg

Back system

IMG_1880.jpg

Front showing "x" compression straps and map pocket (between the 2 light coloured strips), also elastic "net"

IMG_1884.jpg

large "wand pockets" with elast toggle for securing top of water bottle

IMG_1883.jpg

mesh belt

IMG_1885.jpg

top of the sack with grab handle

IMG_1886.jpg

access zip undone showing inside

IMG_1887.jpg

key pocket

IMG_1889.jpg

hydration bladder pocket

K

KenC

If you can't afford to have lots of different sacks, I would also recommend the Sabre 45 - a very versatile system. I got mine because its big enough for a spring/autumn 3/4 day trip, where a 32L isn't quite enough, and the addition of side pockets can bump it up to winter/expedition size. It's also one the lightest available for it's size, but is still built well.

If it's a 30L you're definitely going for, the Deuter 32 I've used is very well designed/featured, but light and comfortable.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I have a karrimor Sabre 35, its a great day sack loads of room and very comfortable, the side pockets, as said are a usefull addition. I use mine for work every day and it holds my kit well. Weight isnt a problem as it is very well made and strong. It has comfortable straps and a waist strap. All in all a good bag.

Simon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE