Multicam

chrisvreugd

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005
Netherlands
hy,
when youre talking about camo, usely bushcrafty(me include) think that armycamo is "not done" for a bushcrafter, (((personly I think army Olive Green is no problem))) but its a fact, there are comming verrrry good things from the army for a bushcrafter.

but, now I found something!!!!!!!!!!!
multicam pattern!!!!! :You_Rock_
http://www.multicampattern.com/
http://www.multicampattern.com/IMAGES.htm

now I bet you never dear to say your camoflaged in woodlandstylecamo :D

greengreetz
chris

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
Yeah, I quite like the Multicam - I saw some reviews of it on Militaryphotos.net and everybody seemed very impressed. Of course, nothing really beats a ghillie suit if you want to dissappear. A bit excessive for bushcraft though - although they are very warm!!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
It seems good, doesn't it? I heard of it some time ago, and I reckon it is much better than Marpat, which i think contains far too much orange/brown. I believe the new US Army pattern is more like Multicam? If it is, I have seen it going for £70 a suit from USMC Pro.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
please explain why the 'Army type camo' is a big no no for bushcrafters? i always thought that the forces and bushcrafters had many things akin to one and other, and where does it matter what your wearing, i thought it was what you where doing that mattered!
No offence meant.
Adam.

chrisvreugd

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005
Netherlands
I will explain, perhaps I was a little to rude, but in Holland, when I'm going out, first I was wearing a dutcharmy parka against the elements :D....

but, all the people are looking verry odd to you, and think your paramilitary
or something like that, and I think it's not good when people relate bushcraft to the army, because bushcraft(forme) is more than a hobby.

In holland on a courses you may not dress up like militair, because it gives a wrong impression about bushcraft.

and for the rest, indeed, it realy doesnt matter what your wearing....
exept... ;)
...when your wearing nothing
...when its freezing
...when your going to work :(
...etc.

and redflex, youve a point to, in Roemenie(where I go in the summer) I dont dear to wear a camo parka, dont even dear to walk around in total olivegreen.... because of the police and misterforester walking around with guns

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Dingo said:
please explain why the 'Army type camo' is a big no no for bushcrafters? i always thought that the forces and bushcrafters had many things akin to one and other, and where does it matter what your wearing, i thought it was what you where doing that mattered!
No offence meant.
Adam.
You tend to get what some people call the "Rambo effect", where people get very worried about seeing people in the woods in army get-up, and get totally the wrong end of the stick... before you know it the police are involved, people are banend from land, your neighbours think you are a terrorist and goodness know what else :eek: Ok probably not that serious :lmao: but you get the picture.
You're right though, a lot of army kit is ideal for bushcraft. :rolleyes:

I must admit I don't like army camo, partly 'cos of the Rambo effect and partly 'cos I don't see the need. As far as I'm concerned army camo is designed to hide you from humans, I am more interested in hiding from wildlife in the hope I can see more of it - animals see differently than us so army cammo may not be the best type of camouflage even if it is very good equipment.

My preference is for plain natural or earthy colours, olive drab etc.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I do like camo, but I know that in some areas you can be mistaken. In Jerusalem I was advised not to wear camo, indeed cargo pockets or olive green was discouraged. It's a bit disheartening sometimes, I like magnum boots, but wear them and folk say "rambo". :D

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I too wear a camo jacket a '94 DPM its hard wearing great pocket layout and only cost £15 unissued. Around this area they are very common among fishermen for the same reasons. The other thing being that many of the younger generation still wear variations of camo the urban etc for the fashion rather than anything else so on the streets it seems to be more readily accepted. Could it be that some of the "rambo stigma"is more from within the bushy folks themselves rather than the general public? I know i've never had any comments about mine while out and about apart from a couple of inquiries as to where I purchased it.
Dave.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Nemisis said:
...... Could it be that some of the "rambo stigma"is more from within the bushy folks themselves rather than the general public? I know i've never had any comments about mine while out and about apart from a couple of inquiries as to where I purchased it.
Dave.
It's never been nasty, more jokey. But you may have a point..

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
No none at all. Its a tough practical and very comfortable jacket and it cost £15.Who cares what colour it is?. One other factor to think on the majority in this forum share a love of bushcraft in its many forms it means different things to different people. But having said that apart from close friends meets moots etc its one that many persue alone in the woods etc so who the hells going to know what colour your clothes are or not?apart from the animals you might meet? Last week I was hand feeding a squirrel scraps and he never objected to the jacket lol.
Dave.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Maybe the anti cammo thing is a little Bushy snobbery..?

And why do people associate DPM stuff with Rambo? He didn't wear any cammo, he just wore jeans and an old OG M65 and later a sack. Not very cammy if you ask me.... ;)

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
JohnC said:
...I know that in some areas you can be mistaken. In Jerusalem I was advised not to wear camo, indeed cargo pockets or olive green was discouraged...
I can relate to that! In my year in Uganda I was advised against all of the "Green machine" kit (a bit of an isue when it constitutes at least 90% of your equipment!). Even my jungle boots & Army Patrol boots were discouraged! (Didn't stop me though, there's no way I'm wearing sandles or wellies in primary jungle!).

I think that part of the stigma of DPM/OG equipment in Bushcraft comes from the "military" survivalists versus the holostic bushcrafters - the puritans and "tree huggers". I personally where DPM's for most things - partly because of my connection with the Air Cadets - but when teaching I try, as far as possible, to teach about sustainability and use a holisitic ethos - but this isn't something which is taught commonly throughout the forces - and unfortunately brings a bad rep!!!

EDIT: [that sounded so bad - didn't mean to offend either of those groups of people as I know they both haunt BCUK - and no, I'm not trying to insight a flame war]

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
guess this is a big debate depending on your areas of habitat, we are reasonably lucky in the uk as we dont get the heavy response immediatly, but i suppose that is only a matter of time. Personally i have the army issue stuff because it is good value and does the job intended, i will have to think about a big drab green 'dye out' ready for the first spring trip!
thanks for the info, see you in green sometime!

Adam

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
But why should you be made to feel you have to do that?. You are not changing the clothes just the colour to fit in with other folks hang ups?. Does fitting in mean that much more to you than bushcraft?. I would find something very wrong with people who are willing to judge my clothes rather than getting to know me the person before making up there minds.
Dave.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Here's my youngest in his camo gear today down by cramond, blending into the surroundings ;)

Attachments

• Joe1.JPG
    Joe1.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 43

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Nowadays I personally avoid Cammo cos I don't want to look like a wannabee TA bloke.

I have owned a couple of cammo jackets in the past (an M65 jacket and a UK military one) and to be honest was not blown away by the quality either.

The M65 jacket was better than the UK one though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE