Multi-tools belong in a survival kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
I have read that a lot of people take their multi-tools out of their pockets or off their belts when going into the woods because they are not needed in the woods.

My main argument against that is that in a survival situation, trash may become our best resource. You never know what you will come upon in the woods that might be useful. I have stumbled onto old homesteads, fences, industrial castoffs, plus the usual trash that might be valuable in a survival situation. The trash is going to be so varied that you cannot plan for it. You may need a screwdriver to take something apart, pliers to cut wire or rework something metal, etc. You will not be temped to use your knife for things a knife shouldn't be used for if you are carrying a better tool for the job. A multi-tool gives you the best chance of being able to use that trash for your survival.

The other argument is that the multi-tool provides a backup knife and provides some repair capabilities to our gear.

David Enoch

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I have read that a lot of people take their multi-tools out of their pockets or off their belts when going into the woods because they are not needed in the woods.

My main argument against that is that in a survival situation, trash may become our best resource. You never know what you will come upon in the woods that might be useful. I have stumbled onto old homesteads, fences, industrial castoffs, plus the usual trash that might be valuable in a survival situation. The trash is going to be so varied that you cannot plan for it. You may need a screwdriver to take something apart, pliers to cut wire or rework something metal, etc. You will not be temped to use your knife for things a knife shouldn't be used for if you are carrying a better tool for the job. A multi-tool gives you the best chance of being able to use that trash for your survival.

The other argument is that the multi-tool provides a backup knife and provides some repair capabilities to our gear.

David Enoch

Never without my l/man wave if not on belt then in pack or jacket in woods.
Mind you that's along with sak farmer or explorer and fixed blade :D

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Minimum {irrespective of any other factor} is Leatherman Supertool, Leatherman Micra and Victorinox SAK Swiss Champ.

A second Leatherman Micra and a Victorinox SAK Huntsman live in my medical kit and a Leatherman Kick lives in my Packraft repair/spares kit.

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass
The wife got me a leatherman wave a few years ago and on the very next trip out I pulled it out for a try and bam that was it. I used the thing the rest of the trip and my poor old cold steel bushman got ignored. From then on it was my main carry until while carving the lock slipped and i got a nice deep cut. To tell the truth i think i may have hit the release by mistake but it still reminded me that a good fixed blade is the best and my wave has become the back up.

stoneraven

Dec 14, 2006
Canada
Wave goes with me EVERYWHERE. Although I use a small folder more often. Multitools are a lot of kit in a small package. Urban, rural and wilderness.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My Wave (given to me by Mr Leatherman himself when he came to one of the COLA shows many years ago) goes with me everywhere. I feel naked witout it....

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
I must admit, ive only just started getting in to Leathermans (always been a SAK kinda guy). I read on here some good reviews on the Wave and started my seach on eBay but then a Charge came up at sensible money so I went for that instead. So far so good but its a bit heavy in the pocket, much better on the belt IMO.

ATB, Jon.

I think that the old multitool should be on your belt when you are in the bush, simple reason if you are separated from your pack you have all the means for cutting, twisting and turning screws etc, you may not be in the relative comfort of the English country side when this happens.

I love my wave, but to a lot of people, survival is getting through Christmas day and Boxing day with the shops closed. (not me, I hasten to add) I tend not to carry my wave in the woods as Bushcraft is a hobby. I'm usually with friends and usually only out for the day, sometimes overnight but seldom longer.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I used to wear a Leatherman Wave everyday for work when I was 'in greens'; however, 'm now in a job where I'm 'in blues' and it doesn't fit with what I have to wear. However, it lives in a Snugpak Response, in my daysack behind my workdesk, so whilst not instantly available, I still have it around.

My problem with wearing these around in the UK is that the blades lock, regardless of it being a multi-tool rather than a pure locking blade.

So, as locking blades are illegal to carry in a public place without good reason, I would rather keep it in a daysack than on my belt - much easier to show that it is not a readily accessible 'weapon'. Frankly, I don't carry it at all when in town or wandering about my village. In fact, if I saw another member of the public wandering around in town with a Leatherman tool on their belt, I would think them as being naive and asking for trouble.

Despite the fact that I am a law-abiding citizen of the UK - and a supporter of legislation that aims to reduce knife crime - it only takes another well-meaning but fearful member of the public to call a policeman, who may be over-zealous, and I get (at best) a caution or (at worst) a criminal record. :nono:

I think the big-brand multi-tools (Leatherman, Gerber, etc) are cleverly designed and a fantastic 'toolkit' to have around. As such, they definitely belong on a survival kit but not - in most circumstances, unfortunately - on the belt of a member of the UK public.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE