Multi tool vs Penknife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdPhelan

Jun 27, 2014
Brighton
Hi guys

For years I've had a trusty Victorinox Swiss army knife. I've had it since I was in the Scouts and love the thing to bits. However I've noticed there is a growing trend towards what is termed a "multi tool" and one of the advantages is that they tend to be slimmer and longer, giving you more blade edge.

But on the other hand you do miss out on some of the penknife gadgets!

So what's the thinking on the relative merits of each? Or is a straight up blade the only way to go?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think the Victorinox Swisstool is the best thing they've ever produced. Multi-tools are generally far more robust and larger and allow the tools to lock.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
My preference is a Swiss Army Knife. Whilst I have and use a multi tool I feel that often the knife blade on a multi tool is not the main tool on the device, where as on a Swiss Army Knife it is

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I find a multitool useful around the homestead - but a penknife can live in your pocket always. Both have their place.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Not sure what tools you'd miss out on with a multitool compared to a SAK?

IMO the SAK is designed more around the main blade whereas the leatherman for instance is designed around pliers and also has a blade as another tool. this means the blades tend not to be in the centre of the handle and sometimes badly placed. I have a Gerber where the blade opens on the upper handle so when the handle hits the blade is still 20mm off the surface!. Just annoying...
Depends if you use the main blade much or not I guess

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Stick with your swiss army knife. i've got several multitools from dodgy toolbox makes like Stanley up to supposed ultimate mutlitool brands like Leatherman and no matter which one i use or what i use it for (except opening a beer bottle) i am reminded of that saying from when i was a kid.

"Jack of all trades is master of none"

Infact i might start my own brand Joatimon, would look good on a nice little leather sheath and would be the best thing about it i am sure.

The only reason i kept buying the daft things was to try and find one with a good set of pliers on it for my cycling tool kit, now i just carry a good set of pliers and a regular set of hex keys and a good knife. JMHO

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have more than my fair share of multitools - Leathermans, Gerbers, Swisstool, six in all. They certainly have their merits, serving purposes beyond that of a mere pocket knife. The one drawback that I find is that the main blade is never on the centre line of the handle (as a fixed blade knife would be), this leads to a blade that is somewhat less controlable than a fixed blade and hence less good for carving or for heavy work.

I am not trying to disuede you from carrying your SAK as it has obviously proven itself to be useful over the years, just answering with my opinion.

ATB

Ogri the trog

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Just carry both and get the best of both worlds. I carry a multi tool on my belt and UKPK in my pocket everyday.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I have long carried both a SAK (two of them) and a Leatherman usually the Surge but I have an old original Leatherman too which is smaller.
I have found they compliment each other, both when out canoeing/fishing or at work. I tend to reach for my Surge most of the time though, probably from habit as it is almost always on my belt.
I have read and heard various utube comments regarding the weight of the Leatherman, many by people who think nothing of a 2lb Glock and spare mag rig superglued to their belt !
But, I actually feel underdressed if my Surge is not on my belt and have been thankful for it being there more times than I could list. (earnt several free pints from having it handy too, a stuck Guinness pump nozzle and attempting to fix a sump pump, to stop the pub flooding while the cellar was ankle deep in water to name two occasions)
The only things missing from my Surge that I have on my SAK's are corkscrew, toothpick, pen (never yet used them) and tweezers + pin (used many times 'cos I am a Chippy)

I like having both types close by, they are proven and trusted friends.:D

Rob.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
As has been said, both have their place. I've had a Leatherman Wave for years and use it for occasional small jobs around the house - typically tightening the odd screw or using the pliers for something or other - ie the job is small enough not to need to dig out the proper tool for the job. I have never needed or seen the need to take it into the woods. It is relatively heavy as well, though this is not an issue at home.

Out & about I like my SAK for its compactness and light weight, and unless you're doing some major construction project with sticks or something, it's perfectly adequate for the normal camping-type duties I put it to - ie opening packets and bottles of beer!

Last edited:

EdPhelan

Jun 27, 2014
Brighton
Appreciate the comments guys.

Perhaps I am just getting ahead of myself, salivating over the prospect of a good multi-tool when I've got a perfectly excellent penknife.

Was looking at this Bear Grylls branded Gerber recently:

http://www.red5.co.uk/bear-grylls-ultimate-multi-tool.aspx

I know Gerber is generally pretty well respected, but how much influence do you reckon old Bear ACTUALLY had on making this model? Does it do anything above and beyond other tools they produce?

Perhaps ultimately a man never need graduate form the humble Victorinox!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I see it as task specific. If I'm on the bike, I'll carry a leatherman multitool 'cos the pliers is likely to be needed. But for normal days I just have a Victoninox farmer. It's lighter, smaller and has everything I'm likely to need.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014

Perhaps I am just getting ahead of myself, salivating over the prospect of a good multi-tool when I've got a perfectly excellent penknife.

I know Gerber is generally pretty well respected, but how much influence do you reckon old Bear ACTUALLY had on making this model? Does it do anything above and beyond other tools they produce?

I'd say he signed a piece of paper and took a fat cheque to let them stick his initials on it :lmao:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Leatherman SuperTool 300 for not much more..

http://boundtree.co.uk/personal-equipment/leatherman-multitools/leatherman-super-tool-300-multitool

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It seems many peoples goal in life these days is to sell out and sell out big, the capitalist dream is your own brand surely or even better to brand yourself.

if these people actually made the stuff themselves as master craftsmen i'd be up for buying some of it, like i do with quality things people make themselves and sell on this site just like the Twodogs bush shirt i just bought which is currenty being made, but if Twodogs became a brand and he stopped making them himself and they started being mass produced in Thailand next door to the Primark sweatshop to a design he signed off on for a fat cheque i'd not be interested, if that makes sense

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
...and somehow we have a thread about SAKs and multi-tools turn into a thread about BG and Gerber and selling out :rolleyes:

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
I carry a Leatherman Crunch every day and love it. I also carry several pocket knives for grins and giggles.
I also have a Victornox Swiss Champ XLT, It has all the toys but is a bit much to carry everyday. I do keep it in my man purse when I have to carry extra stuff. I also keep an origional Leatherman PST in it plus several other knives and my pipe kit.
I also carry 2 neck nives. Think I just might have a problem with those sharp pointy things.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its the pliers on the multi-tool that I find invaluable. That and the scissors but you can get those on a SAK type.
Pliers for cutting wire, bending metal, undoing tricky knots, picking up hot things and so-on.

For day to day its a Leatherman juice and a UKPK, for the woods I take my old gerber sport.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE