Multi Fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cormac

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
S. Ireland
LAds,

I'm looking at a multi fuel cooker, it has to be able to run on diesel and be able to swith to other fuels,
I will not be at extremes of altitude, but will be used for extended periods of time prob twice a day.
Now i'm looking for advice on which model to get, i'd prefer not to have to change jets and such between fuels, as little parts as possibel would also be an advantage.
I have a preferance to those with a "serated" pot stand. I've also head report of the plastic pumps breaking, is this a common occorance.

Thanks in advance

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Optimus Nova Plus. No other option comes close! No need to faff about changing jets, cocktial fuel mixtures are OK and it sounds like a jet engine on full reheat. Praaper jaab!

I've got an MSR Whisperlite international and the pump is fragile and very delicate.
It's a great stove but I've had to replace the pump once and replace parts of the pump several times now and I'm certainly not rough with it, just the usual knocks from inside a bergan. I don't use it unless I've got a spare pump with me or at least an annual service kit.

WS

Cormac

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
S. Ireland
Diesel can clog jets pretty regularly. The MSR ones tend to do mutit fuels.
Nick

sorry that sould have been another thing, NO POKING WITH A PIN

the shaker or at worst magnet.

Also cheap suppiers if ye have any

Sapper, i will be away for to long to have reliable access to one furl typ consistanly, apart from diesel which is fairly universal

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
How are you travelling? Optimus Hiker+...it's a Nova + in a tin. Self cleaning and diesel elsewhere in the world is less full of additives than ours so cleaner burning. Kero is widely available world wide.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
MSR dragonfly is what I use. Burns well, and is easy to control the flame. The pump hasn't broken on me and works well enough.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you burn diesel be prepared to be cleaning clogged jets a lot, its the nature of the fuel to block up your stove. Most parrafin stoves will burn diesel after a fashion, but remember you will need to pre heat the stove a lot using meths/alcohol. Companies like Optimus, Primus and MSR all admit to diesel fuel being only used as a last resort. Sorry, but you will end up getting your hands dirty keeping your stove running on diesel.

Go for the Primus Omnifuel, you can also burn standard gas cans with this stove and they field strip easily

Cormac

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
S. Ireland
Ok thanks fo rhte help lads,

I think i am going to opt for the Optimus Nova +, unfortunetly the local shops only do MSR ans Primus, had an offfer of an optimus prime thou,

So i am now looking for a website that is cheap, and sugestions appriciated

I'd thoroughly recommend the MSR XKG stove it's bombproof, easily serviced and will burn pretty much any liquid fuel.

I've use it on expeditions and it's stood up to the usual use & abuse and consistently delivered. Maintainance & spares kits are available (it comes with some stuff anyway).

It's another one that sounds like a jet engine (it turns heads), and whilst the current version has a couple of modifications in comparison to my old thing its a design that's been around a while & stood the test of time.

I hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE