Muesli Bannock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
Hi all,

don't know if this has been mentioned here before but if you mix muesli and flour together with milk powder if makes a very good sweet bannock.

Geoff

SowthEfrikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2006
Texas, USA
What is this bannock? I've seen it mentioned before. Is there a recipe that can be prepared at home and it hiked out and prepared easily on trail, and does it offer tons of calories for the weight?

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
You can make up the dry ingredients at home then just add water, and cook.
I sometimes make them at home if I run out of bread. :)
I usualy use a bread flour with malt flakes and rye flour in it for a more interesting taste and texture.

Geoff

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
Oh about 50/50 flour muesli I would think then a couple of dessert spoons of milk, the milk is optional. It depends on the muesli, there needs to enough flour to bind all it together. You may try to add an egg or even dried egg if you like. Have a little play at home before field testing it. :)

Geoff

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
I tell you what!......dried milk powder spoils bannock big time(makes it taste too saltey)......I makes it wi' two parts flour(sr)....1 Tea spoon bicarb.......1 Part dem' sugar....a handfull o' dried fruit......or exotic dried fruit (coconut..pinapple etc or whatever ye can find in the wild....blackberrys are cool!!)....small amount o' water or milk t' bind it......straight into the pan........turn over once.......eat while warm.....the bizz...
Muesuli is a good sub....but needs more water t' bind....also, needs five min's t' settle b4 cookin'.....(absorbtion etc) :dunno: ...just me penneth...

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
Cap'n how could an old sea dog like yourself think something is too salty. :D
You need to add some of your special rum mixture to it. Then pour a little extra over the top when cooked. :D
Take care m8ie.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE