Muck or Grub boots? Recommendations please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Evening all, i'm after a new pair of wellie type boots and the Grub Stalking 5.0 boots seem to get good reviews - but the Muck, Muckmaster also get good reviews.

My main concern/consideration is making sure there is good arch support etc inside. The Muck boot mentions this in the sales blurb, where as the Grub one does not. Sadly, there isn't a shop near me where i can go to try both on to see, so I'm just wondering what peoples experiences were?

Cheers

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
My beter half wears a pair of the muck boots but the shoe type, she's had them a good few years and is still happy with them, no idea about Grubbs though!
iv wore hunter wellies for years and realy like them

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got some mucks, Avon ones and they are brilliant! I use them loads and they're comfortable, breathe well and are very durable :).

Hope this helps!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I asked myself the same question about 18 months ago and went for the Grubs stalkers after reading British Reds thread on the subject. Certainly don't regret my decision, I had planta fasciitis at the time and these ended up as some of the most comfortable items of footwear I had!
Great boots, you won't regret the investment.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I had planta fasciitis at the time and these ended up as some of the most comfortable items of footwear I had!

I suffer sometime too, mainly due to some cheap & nasty wells i wore for work many years ago. I have been put off ever since, but these "new" breed of wellies seem to be much better.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I'd be interested to no how the grubs are as a year round boot, my hunters are great but are lined with neoprene as well as having the rubber outer and are to much for warmer weather

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wore out my Grubbs - after six years of smallholding and shooting. I bought another pair.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
My grubs snowline are still going strong after two years off heavy use. If I need to wear them in hot weather, I just turn the tops over .

Nailed Horbury Bridge rapids .....wooooooo

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I wore out my Grubbs - after six years of smallholding and shooting. I bought another pair.

Hugh, on your other thread you mention that you wore insoles in them. Was this to provide more support or comfort as you felt it was lacking in the first place?

It definitely seems the Grubbs have very good longevity and reviews - its just the comfort/support thing thats holding me back ATM

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Neither really - its about fit on my funny shaped feet - my feet are wide at the front, narrow at the heel and I get cold feet. A good thick insole seems to warm them and give me good comfort - but I do that in all my boots.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
James its worth saying, the Grubbs suit me. I hear nothing but good about Muck Boots - I suspect they are both good boots

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Neither really - its about fit on my funny shaped feet - my feet are wide at the front, narrow at the heel and I get cold feet. A good thick insole seems to warm them and give me good comfort - but I do that in all my boots.

Ok, i see. Thanks Hugh. Looks like i'm getting a pair then, thanks for the advice all :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I wore out my Muckboots after years of use. Literally loved em to bits.

Tried a pair of Grubs and liked them even better. Wore them almost non stop in Iceland and found them much more stable and grippy.

I use my boots a lot on rocks at the sea shore. Places where you really don't want to slip.

The Vibram soles on the Grubs are much better than the Muckboots.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Sorry to keep interrupting this thread, how due find the Grubbs compare to wearing normal boots if wearing them all day or doing a few miles, thanks

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Comfortable and hard wearing - I go through riggers every 3-6 months. All neoprene boots are warm of course - nature of the beast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE