Mtp Windproof - mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garethw

Settler
I've always like the windproof smocks, just not camo... that is until multicam or MTP came along. Now this I actually like. I'm not inclinded to dress like a soldier, but for fishing have often worn camo...(usually some form of realtree).

So I recently got an MTP windproof from Jasper at Strikeforce.. (delivered to me in France,with the usual speed and good service I might add)...
Now the smock is very nice, I love the fleeve pockets and the general look and I'm quite taken with MTP... doesn't seem so military..

For the winter though one mod I've done is to sew in a few buttons and add my Alpha M65 quilted liner for the colder months, just around the corner. I know I can use a fleece or whatever, but it is quite practical to have a multi-layered coat I can put on to go out for day to day use and fishing. So its more of a conveniance thing... But the M65 liners are quite warm, even if they have questinalble breathablity. It increases its usefulness in just one garment.
I saw a site where an American chap had the same idea...

cheers
Gareth

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. I understand why you are using a liner but the smock isn't meant to be a jacket. Its a beast of its own that works with layering so you don't need a liner. Anyway its your smock. and fishing you don't move that much so all the best. Ill stick to using mine as is and like I have for the past 30 years!

garethw

Settler
Hi. I understand why you are using a liner but the smock isn't meant to be a jacket. Its a beast of its own that works with layering so you don't need a liner. Anyway its your smock. and fishing you don't move that much so all the best. Ill stick to using mine as is and like I have for the past 30 years!
I totally understand the use of the smock and have a pile pertyex top I could use underneath.. as well as light fleeces... as I said its a convenience thing;
its just more practical on occasions to use the liner.., which on the face of its is little different to the british army softie under jacket...

I'll take it out and layer when needed, hikes, etc... but sitting fishing the liner works great... I've also an M51 parka and liner.... that is a real sleeping bag in a coat... I use that too when cold on the bank...(don't ride my scooter much theese days.....Lol!!!! )

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've recently got hold of the cold weather version of the MTP PCS smock - it has a goretex drop liner within it similar to the waterproof versions of the Arktis smocks. And actually, in some ways, its an improvement on the Arktis smocks, as the polycotton outer is silicon encapsulated in a similar manner to high end softshells. This proofing, which is bonded at a molecular level to the fibres means that water will bead pretty much for the life of the smock (unlike a conventional DWR treatment).

All the usual PCS smock details like fleece lined hand warmer pockets. Only real difference besides the fabric are that the pit zips are of the waterproof type, and the two chest zip pockets are replaced by a single zip pocket accessed under the zip flap. The drop liner has elasticated (and velcro adjustable) secondary cuffs under the normal smock velcro cuffs, and a mesh strip along the base to drain out any water that penetrates the outer and is trapped next to the liner.

It has added a little weight to the smock, and any real exercise in it would lead to heat build up pretty rapidly (unless you are in very cold conditions), but I imagine it will be a great smock for fairly static activities. They come up on ebay every now and then - they are weirdly called 'Smock, Combat, Waterproof and MVP, MTP'

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I've recently got hold of the cold weather version of the MTP PCS smock - it has a goretex drop liner within it similar to the waterproof versions of the Arktis smocks. And actually, in some ways, its an improvement on the Arktis smocks, as the polycotton outer is silicon encapsulated in a similar manner to high end softshells. This proofing, which is bonded at a molecular level to the fibres means that water will bead pretty much for the life of the smock (unlike a conventional DWR treatment).

All the usual PCS smock details like fleece lined hand warmer pockets. Only real difference besides the fabric are that the pit zips are of the waterproof type, and the two chest zip pockets are replaced by a single zip pocket accessed under the zip flap. The drop liner has elasticated (and velcro adjustable) secondary cuffs under the normal smock velcro cuffs, and a mesh strip along the base to drain out any water that penetrates the outer and is trapped next to the liner.

It has added a little weight to the smock, and any real exercise in it would lead to heat build up pretty rapidly (unless you are in very cold conditions), but I imagine it will be a great smock for fairly static activities. They come up on ebay every now and then - they are weirdly called 'Smock, Combat, Waterproof and MVP, MTP'
A really good jacket worth seeking out, when it came to sizes i wanted one next one for my softy to insulate.

garethw

Settler

Is the polycotten material different from the non goretex lined version? Mine certainly seems to let water bead.. for the moment.
cheers
Gareth

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Is the polycotten material different from the non goretex lined version? Mine certainly seems to let water bead.. for the moment.
cheers
Gareth

Yes - the normal smocks are treated with a standard DWR treatment which works well for a while. These lined smocks have a treatment similar (may even be the same) as the Epic/Nanosphere treatments where the fibres are encapsulated with silicon - this should last the life of the jacket, and unless you really take the the mickey, shouldn't be affected by washing. The actual fabric feels roughly the same between the two smocks, but I'm not sure if the composition of polyester to cotton is different.

To be honest, I'm half tempted to seek out a second cold weather smock out and cut out the lining. Then i would end up with a very nice lightweight smock that I won't overheat in if i wear it moving in normal conditions, and that will still be 90% waterproof - a modern equivalent of ventile....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE