Windproof Smock - Wet weather options

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
I recently purchased an issue multicam windproof smock and think it is one of the best bits of kit for walking around Dartmoor I’ve ever owned and it only cost £17. My issue is with what to do when it rains heavy. I have read about wearing an issue waterproof MVP smock underneath but struggle with that concept in my head. I was thinking about a Snugpak Patrol poncho or similar as I can keep it rolled up in the top of my pack and put it on quickly if needed.
How does anyone approach this issue?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I keep looking at the Paramo Velez smock. There's a lightweight version and a more robust one. Reviews tend to towards the swooning :) Different philosophy ... i.e. you are not meant to put it on and take it off.

But, if you are looking for a superlight waterproof jacket to take on and off all the time, the Outdoor Research Helium is good. It is superlight though ... also not super-affordable, except during the sales.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Ahhh the old 'put your goretex under your smock' story......

In my own experience in doing the above all that happened is the goretex couldn't vent properly and I sweated like a........ and was soaked within a half hour INSIDE my jacket! .

I recommend buying the surplus lightweight goretex jacket to throw over issue smock, that's what it's designed for......... to be worn over the smock, or over your mid-layer, with your smock packed away.

(You can find them much cheaper, the link above is just the first hit on Google!)

Or..... if youre feeling flush, hunt out the MVP smock......

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I agree with Van-Wild.

The MTP smock that I have seen doesn't look like something you would put under a windproof. It looks like an outer layer.

I have used a very light shell by Arktis, their "Rain Shield", which is very packable and meant to wear under or over. When worn under a cotton 95 jacket the jacket just got soaked and acted like a wearable refrigerator, when worn under a Swandri jacket it stopped the wind alright, but I got no warmth benefit from the Swandri. Worked much better with the water/windproof on the outside.

I have two of the Paramo light weight Velez smocks, an old style large, and a newer medium. I tend to use the large and put on and take off, as part of a layer system that includes a fleece and Paramo Fuera windproof smock. For me, the Velez is too warm if I am moving, even over a short sleeve T-shirt, in anything other than the middle of the SE English winter. I still like it, just wish it was a jacket with a full zip for better venting.

Speaking of different philosophies, I think the Gore-tex jackets by Outdoor Research have a different one compared to the military kit. I managed to get a medium OR Foray jacket at a great mark down. It fits me, arms are the right length, body is right length, but it is a fairly slim "active" fitting, not meant to go over lots of layers. The arm holes get tight. I got the Foray as a summer packable waterproof, for times when I found the Velez too warm, and bulkier than I wanted to carry just on the off-chance of rain.

I have never thought a Poncho would suit the stuff I do when I want a waterproof, but for walking it could be a good choice, and certainly cheaper than the stuff I have bought over the years. Could also keep a pack dry, limit damp shoulders under pack straps. Not sure how ponchos work in driving rain, which I would imagine does happen around Dartmoor.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
I recently purchased an issue multicam windproof smock and think it is one of the best bits of kit for walking around Dartmoor I’ve ever owned and it only cost £17. My issue is with what to do when it rains heavy. I have read about wearing an issue waterproof MVP smock underneath but struggle with that concept in my head. I was thinking about a Snugpak Patrol poncho or similar as I can keep it rolled up in the top of my pack and put it on quickly if needed.
Yeah I wear a ex mil, windproof smock out on Dartmoor to concur with what you say about them, though mine is the older cabbage patch colours of northern Europe. Where what I have done with mine to keep the wet out is impregnate it with home made 'Greeenland' wax, to report it worked well one day atop of the high level walk between Grimspound and Widdecombe when the rain was coming in horizontal - even had the hood up to feel the air pressure against it and the cold of the rain, but no seepage.

Prior to having the whacky idea of driving wax into the thing I used to cover it with a poncho in wet weather, the only problem with them being they don't get on well with the wind unless one carries a belt to cinch it about the waist and still they can drive you nuts with the flapping

And despite, no I have not fallen out of love with ponchos, for the Snugpack extended patrol poncho to be on my shopping list, as am not always on the moors and I am not always wearing my smock - usually Rohan airlight smocks, Goa and Backpacker and the Pampas mk2 that am testing at the moment, it made out of ' Epic' fabric, to be rather impressed so far.

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Early P

Mar 8, 2021
Sheffield
A light weight windproof smock works best for me if its raining over my rain jacket. It drys quickly, i have access to my pockets and as of yet i have not had any problems with water ingress through my BW parka. I am considering giving my smock a treatment with fabsil.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I have a helicon Rex lightweight rip stop poncho, I wear heavy cotton or similar material jackets (for silence and comfort) rather than waterproof layers, and I find the poncho great for sitting in or walking in and can throw it over me and my backpack

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I like the waterproof shell on the outside, never below my wind-proofing.
I bought an offshore sailing race coat from a chandler's. It's a 6X large. Every coat I own fits underneath it. The maker anticipated that the shell could act like a bellows. So there are several draw strings inside to cinch things up a little. All my packs are waterproofed cordura. Ice buildup on the pocket zippers of the big packs is a nuisance. The day bags have little aprons covering the zippers.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The German army Flecktarn rainsuit is relatively light, wide, cheap and good and used usually sold in very good conditions.
That is what I would use in such an open landscape.
Gr. 1 S
Gr. 2 M
Gr. 3 L
Gr. 4 XL
Padded jacket and padded trousers fit underneath if chosen in the usually worn size.

Last edited:

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I think the old "wear your goretex under your smock" thing is a holdover to the days when the army issued the lovely PU waterproofs which had the tactical powers of a crisp packet. They made so much noise that the only way to quiet them down was to hide them away, much better as others have said to stick your goretex over the top.

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I really really like my arktis b310 - it had a waterproof drop line inside and ripstop poly cotton outer!
Was ace until the drop liner failed after years of use! I cut the failed drop liner out and low just wear the jacket as a wind blocker

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE