MSR Wisperlite questions & info needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Just picked up a new wisperlite and need some advice

What is 'white gas' where do I get it and what alternatives are there
What fuels can I run on this kit and what are the pros & cons
Can I carry fuel in the bottle with the pump screwed in or should i use the stopper and pu the pump in just before use.
Typically how much fuel should I take for a weekend - would 1/2 litre be ample or do I pack 2 or 3 litres

Any help, advice, or instruction would be welcome

Cheers

Nick

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Not got an MSR so someone else may be able to give you more specific answers. I have a primus omnifuel, which is similar.

White gas is also known as Coleman fuel. Unleaded is an alternative.

Not sure about the MSR, but the primus can burn petrol, diesel and kerosene. More sooting and need for cleaning with the latter fuels.

I'd use a stopper. I think the MSR pump is plastic and may get damaged.

I'd guess half a litre would be loads for a weekend, but that will depend on how much cooking/brewing you're doing and if you have any other means, e.g. a fire.

HTH.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hi there,

Not sure about the whisperlite specifically, but i have a MSR dragonfly and can answer some of your questions.

White gas is also known as "coleman" fuel. It comes in 1.5 to 2 litre cans and i get mine from the local camping store for about a fiver. I've only ever used white gas with my stove as i understand it is the "cleanest" burning fuel and so causes lees problems with blocked jets etc. I understand that things like unleaded petrol have a few more particles in them and can cause blockages (hence the jet change mentioned below)

It is fine to keep the pump in when moving around. I don't walk around with the bottle pressurised, i do that when i get to the site i'm going to use it at. At the end of each use i de-pressurise the bottle (i'm sure it says something in the instruction book about that) by quickly loosening the pump from the bottle.

I think the whisperlite will burn pretty much anything but may require a jet change. The one i have in my dragonfly will burn white gas and a few other things but i have to change it if i want to use unleaded etc.

As for quantities i'll leave that to someone who oen a whisperlite and can give you a more accurate guess than me.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
the whisperlite won't burn diesel or meths(despite what i heard a sales assistant assuring a customer) it doesn't use much in the way of fuel.

alternatives also include "pannel wipe" and someone i know ran his on white spirit.

have a look on outdoorsmagic there were a few threads there on this subject

best regards
sc

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

I’ve got one.

White Gas is essentially unleaded without some of the additives and is often sold as Coleman fuel. It’s very expensive but does soot less than unleaded. I find most of the soot is deposited during the preheat, so I do that with meths now and don’t really suffer anymore. However, most of the soot floats off when it gets really hot (and then sticks to your jumper). I’ve never had any blockage problems with unleaded.

I remove the pump when travelling, just because it seems a bit vulnerable but leave it in when camped. However, I’ve never had any problems.

As to fuels, it depends on which stove you have, the Whisperlite or Whisperlite International. I’ve only just discovered this, I assume I have the international as mine came with an alternative needle jet for Kerosene (paraffin), but I’ve never used it.

As to fuel consumption (If you’re car camping, take a tube and siphon it out of your tank), you can get that information from either of these two sites (Whisperlite or Whisperlite International respectively)...

http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/whisper_shaker.asp

http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/whisper_intl.asp

...plus other tips, info and downloadable instruction manuals.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

AJB

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
here are the instructions to download

MSR whisperlite instructions

my 2p!

i have been useing MSR for years and had no problems,
you can use diesel and meths though it's not as good, it just gives you another option which not many stoves do, a friend of mine that trecked in western europe and used "vodka" to cook with for a while as it was cheaper than the local petrol! .
in the MSR tool kit are the other jets to use and a spanner to fix it!
the instructions go into detail about which jet for which fuel!
ps :p i got mine for £3 complete with bottle and tool/spares kit from a surplus shop!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
nickg said:
Just picked up a new wisperlite and need some advice

What is 'white gas' where do I get it and what alternatives are there
What fuels can I run on this kit and what are the pros & cons
Can I carry fuel in the bottle with the pump screwed in or should i use the stopper and pu the pump in just before use.
Typically how much fuel should I take for a weekend - would 1/2 litre be ample or do I pack 2 or 3 litres

Any help, advice, or instruction would be welcome

Cheers

Nick
You have yourself a good stove there, I have had mine for about 12 years now and had no problems at all. I have 2 spares kits, and have never used any parts from it. As said white fuel is colemans fuel and the like and it is the best fuel to run it on, though I usually run mine on unleaded, the only problem with unleaded is that it blackens the stove, I keep my stove wrapped up in a cloth, which I use to wipe it down with, unleaded can also be dirtier and clog the jet, though I have not found this. I always unclip the stove from the bottle when finished and shake out any fuel left in it. You can wrap the fuel line around the stove and clip it onto the stove for carrying. Make sure you prime it first, by half filling the cup underneath with fuel, then turning off the supply and lighting it, when the flames start comming out the top, you can then turn on the supply, it does flare up when you prime it so be careful where you put it, ie not in a tent.
You will need more than 1/2 litre for a weekend, depends on how much you use it, but I should think 1 litre will do you.
The only down side of the stove is that it is hard to control the flame for simmering, but not impossible, just fiddley..................Jon

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i heard from a serviceman that some british forces get issued white gas,
(RAF i think)it may be possible to buy it from a surplus shop on the cheap.?

Jul 1, 2006
USA
there are two kinds of whisperlite, an international that burns various fuels and the regular that burns ONLY white gas. BE SURE you know which one one have before you change fuels. If you can help it only use white gas as its a cleaner burn and wont clog the jets.

Ive carried this stove for about 500 backpacking miles and it has worked well the entire time. very reliable. 5 years ago i would have recomended a whisperlite. Nowadays i would not recomend it. The esbit stove would be a much lighter stove to cook on. though you wont get the "simmer" option it will work just as well. If not an esbit then id go with a alcohol stove, "pepsi can stove"
Both the esbit and pepsi can stove weigh far less then the whissperlite stove and fuel bottle.

for a weekend use the smallest fuel canister available. weight is 9 oz i believe. The smallest bottle will last me near a week backpacking. you can carry the bottle with the pump in it. some people do not. i have never had a problem. just make sure to release the extra pressure. keep it screwed on snug and rotate the bottle so the valve wont rub on your packbag/compression straps. pack it safely.
i throw mine in the bbottom of the pack next to a sleeping bag wrapped in a garbage bag.

check out the weight of esbit and compare to whisperlite. there have been studies through www.whiteblaze.net that show weight savings and fuel efficiency.

good luck and have fun

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
cmr_hiker said:
for a weekend use the smallest fuel canister available. weight is 9 oz i believe. The smallest bottle will last me near a week backpacking.
Wow.......You either don't eat and drink as much as me or your stove is more economical than mine. I certainly need a litre of fuel for a weekend, I do like my tea though (am a builder)...............Jon

May 30, 2006
Australia
Here in Australia White gas is sold as Shelite and is a couple of bucks for a litre which lasts for a good week or so of SOLID use. I have a Dragonfly, but i wish the simmer lite was around when i was buying it as the Dragon fly is SUPER LOUD!

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Thanks everybody for the help & advice. Im just back from the brecons this weekend and the stove worked a dream. Needed about a litre (& ate out some).

Ive been told that you can use Lighter fluid as a cheap & clean alternative to coleman fuel, anybody got experience of this??

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE