MSR Whisperlite - Idiots Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I got a whisperlite, but so far have only run it on the coleman fuel, something which will be coming to an end very soon given the price of the stuff. Paraffin is what I got the thing for, but the other fuel capabilities are a definate plus. I will have to get a kerosene jet before I go with the paraffin fuel, that and a service kit. Did'nt know the thing would run on diesel though, but I suppose if it will run on paraffin/kerosene, there is not that much difference in the fuels.

I used to for years run an Optimus no. 96 kerosene cooker, that was until it got half inched.

I had heard about the automotive panel wipe as a white gas replacement, but had forgotten what it was called, but from here I will look for it again.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I got a whisperlite, but so far have only run it on the coleman fuel, something which will be coming to an end very soon given the price of the stuff. Paraffin is what I got the thing for, but the other fuel capabilities are a definate plus. I will have to get a kerosene jet before I go with the paraffin fuel, that and a service kit. Did'nt know the thing would run on diesel though, but I suppose if it will run on paraffin/kerosene, there is not that much difference in the fuels.

I used to for years run an Optimus no. 96 kerosene cooker, that was until it got half inched.

I had heard about the automotive panel wipe as a white gas replacement, but had forgotten what it was called, but from here I will look for it again.

Please don't run diesel.

Why bother?

Because I live in a remote part of the world I can't get gas canisters or coleman fuel, there are no trees, I cannot get unleaded petrol but I can get diesel, paraffin,meths or vodka/gin when the supply ship comes in every few months.
I was wondering if Meths would work in one of these stoves. What modification would I need?

Ian

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Why bother?

Because I live in a remote part of the world I can't get gas canisters or coleman fuel, there are no trees, I cannot get unleaded petrol but I can get diesel, paraffin,meths or vodka/gin when the supply ship comes in every few months.
I was wondering if Meths would work in one of these stoves. What modification would I need?

Ian

Hi,

Generally to run meths in a pressure stove you need to enlarge the jet orifice and then run some form of air restriction to get the correct fuel to air ratio. As the primus omnifuel /multifuel/ himalaya ( pretty much all the same stove) is not designed to burn pressurised meths and the info on jet orifice etc is not generally available you'd have to experiment on your own. Also as Rik says the energy content of Meths is pretty low so you end up burning more for a given heat output than kerosene so you have to carry more fine for the odd brew but on a longer trip you end up carrying more fuel. but meths does evaporate quickly and generally doesn't stink.

The Primus stoves do burn Kerosene/ paraffin very well. However the primus would not be my choice ( I do have one) it is a very noisy stove when running and unless you get an omnifuel with it's added simmer valve the multifuel basically does not simmer the same is true more or less with the MSR XGK and the MSR Whisperlite is quieter but struggles to simmer really well...

If you really want a liquid fuel stove that can run most liquid fuels excepting diesel but including Meths. Can simmer really well and doesen't sound like an F111 on reheat then I'd suggest a well used Optimus 111T from Ebay.

I'd pretty much never use Diesel in a liquid fuel stove as it stinks and clogs the generator tubes pretty quickly. I'd especially avoid using it in an MSR Whisperlite internationale.

The Whisperlite Internationale has a pretty small diameter Vapouriser tube and will clog very quickly if you use 'dirty' fuel... If you're going to run Kerosene in it it needs to be really clean Kerosene...

Hope this helps...

John

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Plus one for an old fashioned Primus,
I've run a model 96 for years on paraffin/avtur/diesel - whatever came to hand really but always blended into whatever was left in the tank.
If you get one that is still in its box/tin, (111, 96 or the smaller Monitor models) you'll have a very compact (more so than MSR's etc) unit that is ready to go and stand alone, without the need for additional fuel bottles for instance.

PM to follow

ATB

Ogri the trog

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
And he's such a nice and helpful guy, always ready to answer question, never bought one but have made many of different designs including a meths lamp, that, er, well it was spectacular when it went off :)

Can you post pictures too, looking forward to seeing your views and experience.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I only have his some of his pepsi can stoves, but the new wick ones are the apparently the nuts. He's got a new lave as well so he can machine them even better than previously.

I'm waiting for him to release his new 4 wick head stove. Each head has 3 wicks (so 12 in total), and will do a litre of water in 4 minutes - on meths! BAD BOY!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not exactly lightweight mate. Gonna take a look at the Optimus Nova, and see how it ranks against the MSR.

lol no, not really lightweight, but no problem if there are two of you and they are one of the most reliable and forgiving stoves ever made.

You'll find the Nova has a better flame spread when you put a pan on (better than the MSR) and this makes for a better simmer; super stove. About 350ml of paraffin for the Nova will easily last me a weekend.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
lol no, not really lightweight, but no problem if there are two of you and they are one of the most reliable and forgiving stoves ever made.

You'll find the Nova has a better flame spread when you put a pan on (better than the MSR) and this makes for a better simmer; super stove. About 350ml of paraffin for the Nova will easily last me a weekend.

Louder buggers though aren't they!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE