MSR Reflective guylines

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
The Hilleberg tent is fabulous but...their guylines suck. :eek:

I've decided to replace them with this

Reflective_Utility_Cord_Kit.jpg

Not a really cheap thing but hey, your tent looks like a proper UFO at night time. Couldn't' be any better (and safer).

Got it from from these guys:
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/msr_reflective_utility_cord_kit.html

Not cheap too but fast and friendly service.

just my two cents and my quick feedback after trying them for real in Broadstone Warren.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest, save your money if you've not got them yet and pop down to Tesco, 4X4m reflective guylines, yellow, with fitted runners for £4.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Yellow zing-it and some line loks (they do green or gitd) from uk hammocks, is a cheaper alternative. http://www.ukhammocks.co.uk/
If you wanted something more subtle, the bushcraft store (ebay) do woodland cammo paracord with reflective cord through it. Basically, you wont see it until night time, with a head torch.

Both would cost you max, £10-12.

Just an alternative, enjoy your purchase though... from someone who could trip over a guy line in the daytime, let alone night!

Last edited:

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
£5? Dear me Richard. I wouldn't give you £2 for those ghastly looking things. I wouldn't trust them to peg down a butterfly in the summer sun let alone my tent on a hill in a storm. Buy cheap = Buy twice.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been using the black Exped 2.2mm reflective dyneema stuff for a few years, it's like rocking horse doo doo to find now though. What length does the MSR stuff come in, I've looked at it on UOG before and not worked it out.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
It used to be that Kelty was about the only source for good reflective line. Then MSR and others started selling it. Good stuff. I used it for years not only for guylines but also for knife and other tool lanyards. Makes them easy to find in the dark. Stuff is pretty awesome.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hoodoo, nice tarp tent matey :D

This is the reflective paracord mentioned earlier. Search the other items for other reflective colours. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/550-PARAC...ltDomain_3&hash=item3a5d8b832d#ht_2766wt_1166

Thanks widu. That tarp/backpacking trip was a learning experience. It is a silnylon tarp--I think commercially called the Sil Tarp, IIRC and it pitched very taut. Note the somewhat broad, low angle flattened spaces at the top. Well, during a pounding thunderstorm, I noticed I was getting wet and as I looked closely at the tarp, I could see little puffs of water vapor emerge inside as the pounding rain struck the flattened roof areas. Never had that problem with an A frame style sil tarp or one pitched flat at an angle. This was a very expensive tarp too. After a long discussion by email with the maker who eventually agreed that the pressure of a driving rain storm could exceed the limit of the tarp, he took it back. :)

Last edited:

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
The Hilleberg tent is fabulous but...their guylines suck. :eek:

I've decided to replace them with this

Reflective_Utility_Cord_Kit.jpg

Not a really cheap thing but hey, your tent looks like a proper UFO at night time. Couldn't' be any better (and safer).

Got it from from these guys:
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/msr_reflective_utility_cord_kit.html

Not cheap too but fast and friendly service.

just my two cents and my quick feedback after trying them for real in Broadstone Warren.

But don't Hilleberg guys comes with those clever wee pouches that you can capture all the guylines in-I wish they were available separately!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
£5? Dear me Richard. I wouldn't give you £2 for those ghastly looking things. I wouldn't trust them to peg down a butterfly in the summer sun let alone my tent on a hill in a storm. Buy cheap = Buy twice.

They support this OK, and we had high wind last trip

IMG_0277Custom.jpg

IMG_0261Custom.jpg

I re-rigged one of my Force Ten Mk3's and it went out on loan and took a belting up in the lakes in Feb, again no issues with the lines.

I tend to buy something that is fit for purpose and not on looks, cost is a secondary consideration.

I'd not put too much faith in a Vango Banshee in a storm on a hill, one of the chaps on another forum had one rip on him and the replacement just folded on another trip; they are a cracking three season tent though and for what they cost are good value :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I scrounged some dayglo guylines from a tent that was being abandoned rather than packed away and taken home. (Brand new, used for 8 days and binned :yikes: this festival mentality to disposable kit is truly crazy) The tent wasn't expensive but the guys have been very sound :D
I bought some of those Tesco ones in the end of season sale last year, 50p a pack.....you can always just wrap them up good guylines if you're not convinced they'll hold, you know. They're just indicator lines.

What sort of wee bags do the Hilleberg guys come with, Danceswithhelicopters ? There's folk like bilmo_p5, Eric Methven and John Fenna on the forum who'd make them for you :D

cheers,
Toddy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hoodoo, nice tarp tent matey :D

This is the reflective paracord mentioned earlier. Search the other items for other reflective colours. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/550-PARAC...ltDomain_3&hash=item3a5d8b832d#ht_2766wt_1166

I have a bunch of that paracord. There is not as much reflective yarn in it as the triptease or the MSR, but it does work. The local backpacking store here was selling it some years back, but it was not marked as reflective. The dealer had no idea it was reflective. Less than half the price of triptease. It's about 3x the diameter of the kelty triptease. The line is sold by Cortland who, "back in the day" was legendary for their fishing lines, especially fly fishing lines. I think they still have a pretty good reputation.

This was shot under normal light.

This was shot with flash.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
My bad, it wasn't Hilleberg it was Exped. These are they..

BOJIBOB-090411-194529.JPG

A simple bit of kit with little weight penalty that acts as a flag when deployed, stops entanglement or flapping around when not in use.

Jun 15, 2012
Sweden
I've been using the black Exped 2.2mm reflective dyneema stuff for a few years, it's like rocking horse doo doo to find now though. What length does the MSR stuff come in, I've looked at it on UOG before and not worked it out.

I know. Great stuff but hard to find! I recently picked 2 packs up att Danish friluftsland.dk, in one of their stores. Surprisingly cheap, about 11 GBP a piece.
I may be available in their webstore. Best guyline ever, except it would be better in bright yellow or something so that it was more visible during daytime.

Mat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE