MP3s

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A subject I know virualy nothing about....

any advice on the matter??

-----------

Better still, has anyone such a device they wish to swap for something? Save me worreting which to get?

I have stuff like a US army machete, kangaroo skin, icepacks etc.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Nice piece of kit that marts I'd have a creative zen if I had the cash I've done some research and i would choose the zen over an ipod. I do like the creative stuff they make good kit i've got some of there sound cards and amp systems and they very good.

James

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I've been debating over an MP3 for ages. Creative came out on top.

Didn't realise they make standalone amplifiers. Must investigate :)

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
I have an ipod myself which I have found excellent so far,

Are you comfortable using a pc?

After you have installed your MP3 player on your pc Its just a case of putting your music cd into the computer (cd tray) and drag and drop your music into your chosen MP3 player.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
My brother has a video ipod and they are excellent, really crisp picture and sound (although the ipod supplied headphones are crap) you can store music videos on there and because of the 30-6ogb+ size you can put films on there too.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
MP3 is a compression standard for digital audio. There are varying degrees of quality but generally the higher the quality, the higher the file size. Its generally excepted that MP3's don't provide the quality of, say, CD's but it is certainly listenable and because of the file size, it can be quickly transferred onto portable MP3 players.

You can convert CD's that you own :rolleyes: to MP3 file by "ripping" the CD. Windows media (supplied with OS systems like XP) can do this for you. The resulting file conversion can then be transferred to MP3 players. You can also download music from the www in mp3 format.

You can calculate how much space you need for an MP3 player thus save a bit of money by not going OTT on the memory. Roughly 1mb = 1 minute of song. A single track or song (about 4mins) equals roughly 4 mb. Therefore to put 100 songs on a mp3 player, you will need 400mb.

Mp3 players usually come in sizes like ram memory (128mb; 256; 512; 1gb etc) so you need to buy the nearest available size for the songs you want to put on. In our example, 400 mb will mean a 512mb player.

MP3 players are like hard drives and usually have a USB plugin method. Once plugged in to your computer USB port, it acts like another drive and you can then transfer files from computer to mp3 player. You can also delete etc.

Hope this helps

Pablo

daveymonkey

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2005
ive got the creative zen and i think its better than an i pod personally as it can compress files into wma as well as mp3 so for the same amount of hard disc space you can get more music.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
How about some bushcraft songs to put on the mp3 player.............
Anything by Kate Bush or Craftwork, The Cars and Drive (to the woods), That old war song, Whittle why you work. Can't think of any more.....................Jon

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I suppose you mean you want recommendations about players, rather than a discussion on the MP3 compression algorithm?

I think that you should start out by looking at what you want to use it for. Some of these players can handle still graphics and video as well as audio, or can be used as a storage device; when your digital camera's card is full, shunt everything off to the audio/video player and keep shooting.

I want to able to download audio books from NetLibrary (my local library has subscribed to this service for members), but unfortunately the powers that be have decided that the files will be in a proprietary Microsoft WMA format with DRM (Digital Rights Management).

And it turns out that many players can't handle this format, and many others can't handle Ogg Vorbis format either (e.g. the Samsung YH-925 may claim to be compatible on the box, but in practise the implementation is badly broken).

Well, there ways round the unfortunate WMA DRM format (convert to MP3 or Ogg), but I'm not going to discuss them here.

K.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i pod - good sound but rubbish pc interface. the device only synchronizes to your pc one way. thus if you lose your data on the pc, the next time you connect your ipod, everything will be deleted from the ipod too, typical apple rubbishness.

creative zen - not bad but spenny.

iriver - the ultimate.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a Creative MuVo that I like for the following reasons:

It's tiny... very small indeed.

It's completely solid state so no moving parts to break.

It's got a built-in USB connector that turns it in to a pen drive (so I don't need cables)

I don't need any drivers or software, it's just picked up natively by the OS and I then just brows the folders and copy files where I want them.

It takes 1 x AAA bettery that lasts for about 9 hours of continuous play... I like this the most because if I'm away, I don't need to worry about charging it, I just take a few spare AAA batteries.

It sounds very good and plays loud enough to hear in my crash helmet when i'm riding and the supplied headphones are also very good... although not the perfect shape for my ears.​

I don't it like because:

The space is limited and while I have over 260GB of mp3's at home, It's only 512MB... it's enough for a few albims but I would like about 2GB ideally, this would give me plenty of music without all that sifting through stuff to find the song/artist I wanted to listen to.

That's about it really.​

leon-1

I use one of these, they're not big, they're not pretty.
pana7th.jpg

It has 512mb of memory, it does voice comparison, it can record voice, it can record radio, it is a radio and it is an Mp3 player. The battery is minute and it only works on windows xp (bummer as I use Linux now, I have a way around it though), it can recharge from mains or from a usb port on any computer.

You can also use it as a memory stick, all in all with the graphic equalizer and the other bits built into it I think it was a pretty good deal.

This along with the camera make it look like I went mad in a panasonic shop, but they were worth the money:D

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
I'd vote for the iriver IHP120/140 if you can find someone selling old stock AND provided you can avoid the notorious hardware issues(bit of a lottery from what I've read) - it acts like a hard drive so you can manage your songs however you want (and use it as a backup drive if you need to) - it has a good DAC, optical digital out, supports ogg vorbis format and is well supported by the Rockbox community (www.rockbox.org), No DRM, built in FM radio, high bitrate stereo recording, built in mic for dictaphone functionality, reasonable battery life.

The downside is it doesn't do anything but play music very well. :) So no video, or games, or any of that other stuff.

Second vote would be Ipod - best interface on the market and a good DAC (the gubbins which turns your file into sound).

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks for the advice. I only want a cheap one.

As a matter of fact, Im not sure I should be spending out on one at all. Im currently trying to pay bills, restore car and indulge in my anime collection all at the same time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE