Mozzie net for Golite Hex 3: A cheap version!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I recently got a Hex 3 from The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry, but I didn't get the nest as I thought it was just too expensive. I mentioned to my wife that one of the kids had a mozzie net from Ikea once that hung above her bed, but she pulled it down and wrecked it. Basically, i reckoned it would fit in perfectly.

Today, my wife went to a local flea market and came back with the very net I was after. It cost €5, and it came with a large hoop. I gave that to the kids, it seems to keep them quiet!!

I didn't get the opportunity to put my tent up outside as I live in a flat and I had the kids all day, so I put it up in the house and pegged it out with furniture and whatever else came to hand!! I crawled inside and put the net in place, and then safety pinned it to the walls of the trent by using the little loops around the bottom of the tent.

I think this net was made for this tent! The seams in the net seem to match up perfectly with the loops at the bottom, I can't believe how perfect it all was! I showed the missus who was dead proud of her efforts to keep me happy and her good choice in mozzie net.

So, this weekend, I will pitch the tent correctly and set about fitting the buttons to the net to secure the net in place, the net hangs down sufficiently to give a good six inches on the floor to stop any bugs getting in. I will take pictures as I go and post them in this thread as I am sure it will work perfectly. If you are after a bug nest for the Hex 3 and want to have a go with this same net, get to Ikea, it'll set you back five quid, and here's the link to prove it!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
OK, I took the net and tent out this evening, set it up and sewed some small slotted buttons from a combat shirt onto the net using some elastic to tension the net. I put a button at the apex of the net and this goes into the loop inside the tent when the pole is not in use.

To say it is a perfect fit for this tent would be an understatement! All of the seams on the net join up with the seams on the tent perfectly, and there is plenty of net hanging down to stop bugs getting in. I didn't get an opportunity to take any photos as it was almost dark by the time I finished, but if anyone is going to do this, it's easiest to put the tent up and then sew the fasteners on as you go around the tent buttoning them on.

I will be going out for my first adventure in the Hex this weekend and my mate will be joining me. We decided that our kit will fit in nicely, and that we will still have loads of room to spare! Therefore, I need to finish off the fasteners as I only tacked them on to get them in the right place, I need to make sure they are fully secure. Look forward to some sort of review as I know a number of people have a Hex and I'm sure a few people are looking into getting one! I can't wait for Friday!!!

Aug 9, 2005
Spamel you're a genius.

Thank you so much for posting this - i've been having exactly the same problem: I have a Hex 3 (also from Harpers Ferry) and the floor, but thought the nest just too heavy - and expensive. How much does the net weigh? Oh hell, whatever - I'll get down to Ikea asap and get one!

:You_Rock_

Thanks

Tom

p.s. do you have any pictures to share with us?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great tent, and I must say, still light even with the bug nest I use. It is perfect for two people, room for kit. The only drawback, is cooking if it rains, can get a bit cramped then. I also take the lid of a 4" billy to rest the base of the pole in, on soft ground this stops the pole sinking, and is useful for leaving things like torches in (least you can find them easy at night)

I've bought a cheap tarp and intend to try and rig it from the apex of the tent to two walking poles and use the set up as a cooking / sun / rain shelter. Not tried it yet, but the plans are "in my head".

Nice one with the home made bug shelter, would have saved me a good few bucks :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Sorry, I know I promised to take some pictures and post a quick write up on my first trip in the Hex, but I forgot my camera!!!!! I always forget something. I will get the Hex up at some point and take some snaps, I'll then put them up here.

Anyway, I can confirm that the cheap bug net works a treat, it overlaps at the door so that there are two sections the same size as that piece of the tent that folds back, overlapping. I took the ring off the net, but this was a bit stupid in hindsight. If I had left it on, I would of had a ring to attatch my maglite/candle lantern to, thus illuminating the tent just nicely. I don't expect any of you will make the same mistake!! :rolleyes:

HPIM2512.jpg

I went out for just the one night with my mate from work. On the agenda was setting up the tent, eating loads of grub and getting loads of kip!! (We both have kids, so not normally lie in day on a Saturday!) The tent went up a treat, I used a line between two trees and I have a small karabiner that you get with those Silva watch strap compasses. I clip that through the top loop and then onto the line to save the loop getting worn or damaged.

HPIM2508.jpg

I threw my kit in and got my sleeping gear laid down, and I thought there was still quite a bit of room, Jamie put his kit in and we still had a good bit of room between us. Still, I wouldn't like to see three people crammed in like the manufacturer believes can be done! The centre pole would not have got in the way of the two of us, but thin paracord weighs less than the pole, and that is why I went for the ridge line method.

HPIM2511.jpg

We cooked some food up and had a good dinner, sat about in the lee of the tent chatting and talking rubbish, as men do, and then retired to the warmth of the tent when it was dark. We had a read of our books and then got our heads down, only to be woken later by some geese flying over us! I woke up in the middle of the night for an Old Mans', and felt how much warmer it was in the tent than outside, it made a difference. The only downside was the condensation forming on the inside of the tent, but it wasn't so bad.

I woke up in the morning after a monster kip, I think I woke up around 10!!!! Jamie was still asleep, and when I woke him he said he thought it had been a really warm night. Just as a comparison, I slept in a Softie 6, and I had been cold in that two weeks before in a hammock. It was warmer then aswell.

My first impressions of the tent were that it was very light weight, a nice shade of green that won't stand out, a spacious interior and easy to put up. That was when I put it up the day I got it. This weekend, I still hold to all of these things. Also, I like the way the door can be opened wide to allow air in and easy access with a fully packed bergen. The centre pole could get in the way, but I haven't tried so I can't say for sure.

I love the way the individual tent peg loops can be adjusted simply and easily, and the fact that I don't need the pole to put the tent up. Also on the tent peg loops is a reflective strip that is really effective, and can save an embarassing tripping up moment too!!

I don't like the tent pegs too much, they work well but they are a bit sharp at the top end. I don't dislike them, I'm just not in awe of their design. They also don't work too well in soft pine needle bed floors of the pine forests, they need to be a bit longer. I would have thought they would have been made a bit better and think it is one of the few things that let the tent down from a manufacturing view point. If you use them, take a glove for pulling them back out. :eek:

Also, a bit of condensation, but then again the tent could have been pitched a few inches off of the floor and this may have solved the problem. I need to experiment with this. I'm not too keen on the guy line colour, bright yellow!! I changed mine for a nice green colour, it's not a biggy just slightly annoying!!

Apart from that, so far I am impressed. The delivery time from Harpers Ferry was very quick considering it came through the BFPO system aswell! I am more than happy with my purchase and thought that Jamie was aswell. He is gonna get one himself after spending just one night in the Hex, and we have seen the place we want to pitch next time we are out. I have also thought about using his tarp on the ridge line as a porch area over the top of the entrance, this would be a good set up I think.

Finally, the mozzie net also worked to a fashion, but as I had no ground sheet the bugs had crawled through the foliage at the bottom of the net and got in. I had spiders and bugs, but no mozzies so I think a success. Next thing to get is a cheap lightweight ground sheet, and I know just the thing!! :naughty:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Spamel, you are spot on about the pegs, not up to much unless you are on hard ground. At the moot, where the ground was sandy, I was fortunate in that I had taken some longer "V" groove pegs with me (which held fine). Condensation has not been a problem yet, its there in the morning, but clears very quickly, and does not get through the nest insert.

I bought the nest with the tent because I did worry about condensation and did not want bugs in the tent, as to the the extra weight, well, its a lot less than a bit of kit some may carry for a camp and never use, so, it goes with me. When you use the pole, I really would take something to spread the load of the pole to stop it sinking in soft ground, like I said I use a billy can lid, but a piece of wood or stone would be fine I guess.

Spot on about size as well, without the pole 3 maybe, with the pole no, its a good sized tent for 2. I've rigged up a hanging bracket from a light alloy peg which goes on the pole and lets me hang an led torch or candle light inside the tent, works well. Overall, a fantastic tent, but none will compare with my trusty old Black's Mountain Tent :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: heavy and long gone, but not forgotten :( :( :(

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just weighed the packed tent and mozzie net, inclusive with tent pegs and guy lines - 1190 g!! This does not include the pole, I don't think I'll be using that until the weather gets a bit cheeky as I can then see the tent not being as rigid in the wind!

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Hi Spamel,
Thanks for doing that review, i'm fairly set on it, but was wondering what the two 'vents' were like at the apex of the tent. Do you think you could fit a small diameter chimney through one to have a small wood stove inside, like the bigger tipis? Providing the chimney was cool enough not to melt anything!

Cheers

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The Outfitters at Harpers Ferry is the eBay shop which I bought the tent from. As for the two vents, they are covered in mozzie netting, and the opening points downwards, so I don't think you'd be able to use a fire box without considerable modification of the tent. Also, it's made from silnylon which is supposedly very flammable, and I'd reckon this is probably about right as it is quite thin material.

Also, I don't think you'd have the room for a fire box unless you were by yourself, maybe you need a larger tent. I was looking earler for something completely different and came across this, which looks very similar to the Golite Hex 3 but is made with a bit more robust material and seems to be a bit bigger. I cannot vouch for this particular tent, and only post this seller as it was the first I found. If you do want one of these shop around for a good deal, but again I cannot say whether it would be useable with a fire box.

Saying that, the Hex 3 and I assume the Tatonka version can be unzipped from the top, a chimney could go through the opening wrapped in a fire blanket, but I wouldn't like to put bets on your tent not turning into a molten blob of burnt nylon, resulting in massive burns to any exposed skin!! Think safety before you do try it, and if you have any doubt, stop!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Hex is too small for an internal fire, too dangerous because of the Silite material. That said, although the tent has a lot of floor space, its sloping sides cut down on the air volume needed to be heated; so I doubt one or two campers would suffer from low internal temperatures much even in the winter; "eat up, drink up, and snuggle down for a good warm nights sleep" :)

Aug 9, 2005
"The Hex is too small for an internal fire, too dangerous because of the Silite material. "

Fair enough point Rik, but I use a Sierra Zip Stove to heat mine and it works a treat - once the smoke has burned off!
>cough!<

Also, you can move the floor on the Hex so the stove is not on top of it and put the wind guard on it to stop sparks flying out (Zip Stove also do a spark arrestor but I don't have one). As long as it's away from the tent sides it works a treat... toasty.

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
while we're on the topic of the Hex 3, I'd like to say something about waterproofing. I jhad a very wet 3 weeks in France touring with my new Hex 3 + inner, and, though I really loved the spaciousness of it, it was the leakiest tent I've ever owned. The rain tended to come in mainly from around the vent area where there was multiple stitching. But the seams also leaked. So much for the claim that swelling will stop leaks.

I've painted the seams and stitched area with silicone now, so I hope the next time it rain I won't have to cover my sleeping bag with plastic! For, what is, quite an expensive tent I don't think it's good enough quality control. Shame on you Golite.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Wintrup said:
while we're on the topic of the Hex 3, I'd like to say something about waterproofing. I jhad a very wet 3 weeks in France touring with my new Hex 3 + inner, and, though I really loved the spaciousness of it, it was the leakiest tent I've ever owned. The rain tended to come in mainly from around the vent area where there was multiple stitching. But the seams also leaked. So much for the claim that swelling will stop leaks.

I've painted the seams and stitched area with silicone now, so I hope the next time it rain I won't have to cover my sleeping bag with plastic! For, what is, quite an expensive tent I don't think it's good enough quality control. Shame on you Golite.

Someone else on another thread had the same problem? Strange, mine has been perfect, but your right, for the money, the seams should ship sealed

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
OK, I've added the pictures to the post above, I hung the tent on a ridge line again, and I also put an issue basha on the ridge line coming out to the front like a porch area. The fire was just past this. This seems to me to be a pretty good set up, it could all be carried in one go by one person, but Jamie brought his tarp and that was what we used. Also, if the weather was really bad, the tarp could have been dropped from the ridge line to block the wind a bit more, but as it was a pleasant day with leaves gently falling down around us, it was OK where it was.

HPIM2526.jpg

I found a decent burl to start a kuksa with, but I am a bit worried as there seems to be a bit of rotten wood in the middle of the burl and it may come very close to the edge of the burl. This may turn out to be a bit of a disaster. Time will tell.

Also, we found quite a few different fungi, there were a few boletes out and about but they are a bit worm eaten. I got a few for the dehydrator though, so they need to go in later but I left some to hopefully encourage a few more to grow!

HPIM2521.jpg

Unidentified shroom! Rep to the first person to ID it correctly!!

HPIM2514.jpg

Here, Jamie (on the right) and myself take a chill out moment for a quick snap of the camp. The floor wasn't too wet, but I didn't want my axe on the floor so we put them up on the left hand pole supporting the tarp. You can see my SFA and Jamies' Hunters axe. We also went with the Swedish army trangia, but decided to have a fire so we used the pots over the fire instead!

We had a fairly chilled time, the tent only went up for the photos for the review, but it took five minutes to put up and less to pack away at the end. Food was a simple affair, we have a fairly simple meal down to pat by now, it varies slightly so it doesn't get boring and we are always stuffed at the end. I nearly had to go for an old mans sleep after lunch today!!

HPIM2518.jpg

Jamie has been a member here since we were in Iraq earlier this year and I have him truly bitten by the bushcraft bug. He says that he will post some reviews on some books he has been reading lately, and now that I have mentioned it he will have to!!!

jamie6754

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2006
Bergen germany 29303
:) As you can see from the pictures from spamel we both had a good day makes a change from being in pine lol, the hex 3 tent is defenatley a good investment and also so are the swedish issued trangia cookers all in all had a great time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE