Mountain Tent reccomendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
It's sort of hard to say anything knowledgeable about / recommend a piece of kit unless you've got some personal experience with it.
And I won't recommend the stuff I've had poor experiences with...

/ Karl

I`ve used all different types of tents in all situations from the jungles to mtns to the artic,every one is different,it`s important to remember your poor experiances may be different to another,example you may buy a tent and being larger than average may find it cramped,then not recommending the tent on that bases,while MR b buys the same tent being 5`4" finds it a palace,same to the opposite with weight.YOU must look at what you intend to use the tent for,if it`s four season,2man ,4 man,base camp,altitude,desert ,we can go on .the tent we would not recomend from a bad experiance may be perfect for hi needs.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I`ve used all different types of tents in all situations from the jungles to mtns to the artic,every one is different,it`s important to remember your poor experiances may be different to another,example you may buy a tent and being larger than average may find it cramped,then not recommending the tent on that bases,while MR b buys the same tent being 5`4" finds it a palace,same to the opposite with weight.YOU must look at what you intend to use the tent for,if it`s four season,2man ,4 man,base camp,altitude,desert ,we can go on .the tent we would not recomend from a bad experiance may be perfect for hi needs.

Of course, but the original idea with the thread was a request for recommendations...

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Of course, but the original idea with the thread was a request for recommendations...

KARL 5 100% correct so you must look at your bad experiances with other tent makes and make an judgement as to whether another make would suit the needs of our man then recommend cheers cappi

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
KARL 5 100% correct so you must look at your bad experiances with other tent makes and make an judgement as to whether another make would suit the needs of our man then recommend cheers cappi

I believe that's exactly what all the people in this thread have made.
Part of the recommendations, as it were.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
SO to sum up then lads we are all confirming "our" tents are the best,thats what makes us so strong we are passionate in what we belive in.

I thought that was the kind of point of the please recommend a 4 season mountain tent thread? You recommend what you have used. Rather than something you've heard is good.

I've heard Hilleberg Tents are good but have never used one so should I recommend that???

My experience with the Quasar is it's a really good 'bomb proof' mountain tent and best carried by 2 people. I'm 6'3" and its amply roomy and great to cook in. Downsides are Wild country's / Terra Nova's Customer service. My original set of poles developed cracks at the ferrules where you insert one end into another pole. It took some wrangling to get them to replace them F.O.C. Apart from that after 15+ years of service it's still going great although it's looking a bit tired.

My experience of the Vaude Hogan is that it was an excellent tent. But I wouldn't say it was a 4 season mountain tent. With thoughtfull pitching it would shrug off the worst of the weather. However I'd be reluctant to camp up high in snow in it. The Split rings that hold on the pole ends broke in pretty short order but were easily replaced. The Ground sheet could have been a bit more waterproof and the shock cord attachment lost it's elasticity after prelonged use...

I've also used a Wild Country Gemini extensively and it's great but highly specialized and no good for below the snow line as it's single skin.

The Macpac Minaret is good, light, good in snow but a bit more cramped than the Quasar.

cheers

john

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
I thought that was the kind of point of the please recommend a 4 season mountain tent thread? You recommend what you have used. Rather than something you've heard is good.

I've heard Hilleberg Tents are good but have never used one so should I recommend that???

My experience with the Quasar is it's a really good 'bomb proof' mountain tent and best carried by 2 people. I'm 6'3" and its amply roomy and great to cook in. Downsides are Wild country's / Terra Nova's Customer service. My original set of poles developed cracks at the ferrules where you insert one end into another pole. It took some wrangling to get them to replace them F.O.C. Apart from that after 15+ years of service it's still going great although it's looking a bit tired.

My experience of the Vaude Hogan is that it was an excellent tent. But I wouldn't say it was a 4 season mountain tent. With thoughtfull pitching it would shrug off the worst of the weather. However I'd be reluctant to camp up high in snow in it. The Split rings that hold on the pole ends broke in pretty short order but were easily replaced. The Ground sheet could have been a bit more waterproof and the shock cord attachment lost it's elasticity after prelonged use...

I've also used a Wild Country Gemini extensively and it's great but highly specialized and no good for below the snow line as it's single skin.

The Macpac Minaret is good, light, good in snow but a bit more cramped than the Quasar.

cheers

john

nice one john no one said recommend a tent they heard was good,what i said from reading the input was it would be good to place good and bad experiances in with different tents,you did that, which was top form.

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
I also have a Tera Nova Quasar and like everyone says, it is bomb proof - a real high quality tent.

A word of warning about the 'Ultra' version though. When I bought my tent I considered the lighter 'Ultra' version but the sales assistant advised me that the weight saving is made by using a much thinner groundsheet.

This might not be an issue for you, but it's worth thinking about. I decided I'd put up with carrying a extra few hundred grams and have a thicker groundsheet.

Having said that, I did purchase mine a few years ago so it may have changed but thought I'd better speak up!

Mat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE