Mountain man kit!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Mountain men, the long beared lone wolves of human history! Men of their own destiny, men of simple and honest upkeep. Real men! ;)

:rolleyes: Haha, I've been toying with some bits and bobs lately and came up with a nice wee mountain man set up for the woods, trying to keep it traditional and such but still fun and practical! This is a few pieces from my growing mountain man gear line up I thought I'd share with you, just the basics on display for now. An Axe, a knife, a sharpener and an ocarina to pass the time and sing along with the wolves (more like blood thirsty, englishmen eating badgers!)..

DSCF3879_zps36418806.jpg

DSCF3884_zps6a208feb.jpg

DSCF3816.jpg

I've a growing fondness for traditional, mountain man-esque gear and would love to see yours too! :)

So get 'em out lads! ;)

For those interested, that is a modded cold steel trail hawk tomahawk, modded opinel #9, antler handled ceramic sharpening rod and a clay 4 hole ocarina pendant! (antler and ceramic rod both gifted from the kind and generous members of this forum!)

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Aw Dude, I LOVE the Opinel.
Tell us more! Now!

I have a similar set up but with a wee hatchet that has been in my family for around 80 years now. (on it's 4th handle if records are correct!)
I keep chopping and changing between knives but keep coming back to my Enzo Trapper in Rosewood, but still never without my Case Peanut.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Aw Dude, I LOVE the Opinel.
Tell us more! Now!

I have a similar set up but with a wee hatchet that has been in my family for around 80 years now. (on it's 4th handle if records are correct!)
I keep chopping and changing between knives but keep coming back to my Enzo Trapper in Rosewood, but still never without my Case Peanut.

I started doing the opinel the other night, it's a #9 from new. I first ground the lower section of the blade so it didn't touch my finger, cut and ground down the top section to remove the nail nick and keep it under 3", removed the locking ring and whittled/snaded the handle. I then painted the handle with concentrated black tea, oiled with linseed then waxes with some baby bell wax! The patina comes from a mix of vinegar and mustard, keep it slightly lumpy as those lumps create the lighter spots. Then I just sharpened it up, oiled it and wear it around my neck with one of my many ocarinas! :)

let's see that axe!

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
I'll try and find time before the weekend is out to get some photos up. To be honest it just looks like a wee shiny hatchet with a shiny new handle, but if it could talk...!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its beautiful that horn - fully functional too - different nozzles can be screwed on to dispense different charges depending on musket, pistol etc. :)

Clever man is Joel

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
As promised, here are a couple of photos of my wee hatchet.
SAM_7271.jpg
[/IMG]

SAM_7272.jpg
[/IMG]

SAM_7273.jpg
[/IMG]

SAM_7274.jpg
[/IMG]

The only clue as to the make of the hatchet is the barely ledgeable word "Lock". I have tried the interweb to find any axe makers by that name to no avail. Anyone heard of Lock axes?

It's a bit of an understated kit compared to the work of art earlier in this thread but all three have served me well. The Peanut is having a rest at the moment on the shelf with the other eight (!) Peanuts and a SAK Sparton has taken up residence in my pocket. I started watching series 1 of MacGyver and I am easily influenced by such things:D

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Some beautiful kit here! I must say im a much bigger fan of the traditional looking kit to this high tec modern stuff.

Heres a picture of a sheath i made for a friends hawk. Iv now got a cold steel pipe hawk now which i need to make some new cloths for!

Indian27_zpsa6699503.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
a pipe hawk is next on my list ;)

might have to get a svord mini peasant to go with it!

got a few bits on order atm that I will add to my mountain man collection. Unfortunately my fantastic new pair of mountain ocarinas are made from super tough polycarbonate.. so can't really qualify for the traditional style this thread is aimed at :p (my clay 5 hole zelda one is though.. kind of!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE