Mountain Lion country

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Axe Catcher

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
The Wilds of Stratford-upon-Avon!
Voivode said:
I must contradict your predatory bear advice though. You do not go fetal when a predatory bear attacks. You fight back with everything you can muster. A predatory bear is out to eat you and if you lay there, you're easy.

Ahh :( I remembered that for the Mountain Lions, but I thought bear was different. As omnivores I thought the ranger had said that bears won't attack human-sized for food, they mostly attack for defence and if you show yourself as non-threatening they won't continue. He did say that with Grizzlies your chances of actually fighting off a bear in full attack-destroy mode were quite slim (unless it was just because we were girls) and that protection and submission were the best hope with the odd good shot at the nose.

Thanks for the info
AC

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Axe Catcher said:
Ahh :( I remembered that for the Mountain Lions, but I thought bear was different. As omnivores I thought the ranger had said that bears won't attack human-sized for food, they mostly attack for defence and if you show yourself as non-threatening they won't continue. He did say that with Grizzlies your chances of actually fighting off a bear in full attack-destroy mode were quite slim (unless it was just because we were girls) and that protection and submission were the best hope with the odd good shot at the nose.

Thanks for the info
AC

Absolutely true on all counts; they don't prefer people (but they will take a deer and the like if they can catch it; they're more likely to appropriate a wolf kill though) and a defensive bear probably won't maul you to death if you turtle. A predatory bear is, by definition, hunting you for its next meal and you need to drive it off the best you can and get out of there. Your chance of winning in hand to hand combat with any bear (grizzly or black) is slim to none (boys included), but you have to try if it is actually trying to eat you, not just show you it's boss.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
at the 'evening with ray mears' i went too (it turns out there was a whole room full of people - gypped!) he mentioned that the native women encountered bears in the Tigre forest fairly often - and that they just lifted their skirts to scare them off...true apparently!

whatever they keep under there...i'd love to have a look...ahem..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE