Mountain ( International ) Rescue.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Yes.

But I'm assuming these things don't run great in less than perfect weather?? Just wondering what the margin of risk/exposure would be with a bit of a squallish weather.
Yes I did have that thought on seeing the video to form; aye but what when it's blowing a hooly and bucketing it down as it quite often is in mountainous terrain, and what about winter, would the jets experience icing. To suppose given most of the calls outs tend to be from folk of whom have injured themselves slipping on wet grass, it would be useful enough as a fair weather tool.

Then my thoughts wandered to I bet there is a military application for this device.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Then my thoughts wandered to I bet there is a military application for this device.
The US Army, more specifically the Marine Corps has been actively kicking the concept around since the 1950's. Hover platforms, single seat helicopters, jet packs, hover jeeps, NOTAR helicopters and the insane Project Ithacus all started with the dream of moving troops around faster. Testing of early prototypes quickly confirmed however what most engineers had said from the inception that the power to weight ratio sucked and flight times were going to be ridiculously short. The real kicker of course was that every soldier also needed to be a half decent pilot to fly the contraptions and Pentagon accountants soon had a fit. Remember fly-by-wire microcomputers that allow anybody to fly like a pro didn't come on the scene till the early eighties. (Quite what the USAF thought about the Army potentially having more pilots than them is also anybody's guess )

Project Ithacus would of been the exception to this as all troopers needed was the guts to get in the thing. Thankfully its scaled down descendants exist only in Hollywood movies and the real thing never flew.

Most of these projects died by the late sixties but the success of helicopter medivac during the Korean & Vietnam conflicts kept a few alive and with modern warfare shifting to a more rapid tactical style there's been renewed interest in some of the old ideas. The logic being if a drone can evacuate wounded soldier then it can deliver a fresh one at the same time.
medi-drone.jpg

Reactions: Silverclaws2

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
The pilot was on R2 (Jeremy Vine) earlier this week, was half listening, apparently the thrusters use /expel air and he said its very easy to use due to out fairly unique balancing system. May be on iplayer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE