Mouldy taint = fowsty

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I've put this in food, because I couldn't think where it belonged.

The other day I was out fishing. When I took a drink of tea from my stainless steel flask it tasted fowsty.

Fowsty is an old Berkshire word meaning something like mouldy, or mildewy.

I slung the tea away as it was horrible. Clearly the flask had been put away still wet.

Since then I've cleaned the flask with Sterident (my usual choice for a gentle bleach) and also with Milton tablets.

The flask itself is now spotless, but the silicon o-ring from the lid still smells fowsty.

Any suggestions as to how I can get rid (without damaging)? Bleach? - seems a bit fierce. Baking powder? - I've used this to take the smell out of fabric that I couldn't wash before now.

Help!

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Seems like it's not a Berkshire word then. LOL.

Anyway, the silicon ring has been soaked in Milton tabs & Sterident along with the flask - and its still got a girt big fowsty nose on 'im you!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Go with unscented bleach, can't argue that it'll work. 1 cap of bleach per 2 litres of purified water can make it safe to drink (I thnk that's the ratio) so it is food safe in minute amounts.

and everyone knows what fousty means.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you've got anywhere near you where they use a big expensive coffee machine, beg a little of the powder they use to put through it for cleaning; it's the same style of cleaner as Milton, Bicarb and Sterident but it's definitely more effective and I've never found out what the difference is. The last stuff I was given is "Becher" coffee machine cleaner, made in Germany, and contains.....

< 5% oxygen-based bleaching agent
5-15% polycarboxylates
sodium carbonate

1 teaspoon in a flask of warm/hot water, leavr 10 minutes and rinse..............Always been perfect for me :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds like good stuff :)

How the hang can coffee left in a filter go mouldy ? the blasted stuff's been boiled/steamed for heaven's sake, but it does :dunno:

You could try the salty water soak too in the meantime and see if that shifts it.

M

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Bicarbonate of Soda does mine with boiling water. Really minging flasks get a soak in biological soap powder with very hot water, then rinsed with bicarb to remove the taste.

Persil tea is slightly worse than fusty tea. :)

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
I have had luck with soaking things in white vinegar then a dunk in baking soda( bicarbonate soda I guess) this gets rid of the stink.
You could try soaking them in a mix of both then take a small stiff brush ( old tooth brush??) and scrub. then a good rinse and air dry. The vinegar and soda mix will sweeten plastic and metal bottles too, and get rid of the funk.
BTY I usually run half a pot of white vinegar through my coffee pot every couple of months,it cleans out the calcium residue and gets rid of the gunk..

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On the few occasions I use a flask I only ever put in boiling water (unless it's soup in the food flask). Tea and coffee are terrible for leaving a taint on flasks. Also with boiling water you can use it for tea, coffee, noodles, stockcube drinks - whatever takes your fancy at the time. But as said if you can soak the stopper in milton it should help.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for the useful cleaning tips. I've got a favorite cup.
Looks like coffee, smells like chicken soup and tastes like orange juice.

The translation for here is "hummy". As in: "Hmmmmmmm, I wonder what that was?"
Later today, a good bicarb soak & scrub.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have had luck with soaking things in white vinegar then a dunk in baking soda( bicarbonate soda I guess) this gets rid of the stink.
You could try soaking them in a mix of both then take a small stiff brush ( old tooth brush??) and scrub. then a good rinse and air dry. The vinegar and soda mix will sweeten plastic and metal bottles too, and get rid of the funk.....

Vinegar and soda will cancel each other (if mixed) The vinegar is an acid (that's why it's used to "descale" coffee machines where they have hard water) and the soda's a base (that's why we use it to stop corrosion in aircraft battery compartments)

They should work well though if you use them one at a time and not mixed.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Lots of great input as always (love this site) - thanks everyone.

Got some bicarb - should I just rub it in or make a solution and soak.

And how long d'you reckon I should leave it for?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it's just the silicon O ring, then make up a solution tonight and pop it in it. It'll not do it any harm to leave it 'til morning.

Couple of teaspoonsful in half a mug of water is more than strong enough to do the job.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE