'Mouldy' boots - how to refresh?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeaBee

Jun 12, 2011
Devon
A pair of leather boots has taken on a musty smell while not in use.
Does anyone have any tips to remove the pong?

Cheers.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Other than using a good leather cleaner/restorer on the outside - get a box of baking soda, empty a good amount into each boot, leave for a day or so , then clean out.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Give them a good wash out with warm ( not hot) water or get the garden hose in them ( or Warm then blast with the hose).
Stuff with newspaper after they have drained and leave them to dry indoors ( not too near any direct heat. Change the newspaper once or twice then just leave until dry.
Oil them up when dry and off you go!

Best.

da C.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Some good suggestions so far. Another is to fill them with a strong saline solution (warm salty water), leave them for a few days, then thoroughly rinse them. Allow to dry naturally (don't put them anywhere near a radiator or fire, remove the footbeds and don't stuff with newspaper). Once dry treat them with a good wax, I prefer Sno seal if you can get it. And they should be as good as new.

TeaBee

Jun 12, 2011
Devon
Thanks for all the tips - I don't know where to begin!
I hadn't realised that so many of you had experience of this type of problem.
Cheers
Trev

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its sweat and bacteria that smell. What you are reading are various techniques to solve this.

Definitely remove and clean insoles and laces

Sniff the inside of the boot. Is the smell bad inside?

Yes? You need to remove it. Washing helps, then slow drying. If still smelly try the baking powder.

Clean the outside with nikwax, snoseal or similar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE