Most unusual item in your kit.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I was flicking through some old web pages I have archived away and came across a thread from a forum I used to frequent with the above subject. That was 4 years ago and Hoodoo popped up a couple of times in there.

I wondered what you lot have as your "unusual" item(s).

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Piece of chalk ... the idea being "measure by eye, mark with chalk, cut with an axe and bang to fit!!" :-D

I also have a tiny ampule of WD40 that I got somewhere (1 ml) that just might come in handy!!!!!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
If out overnight, I usually have my shortwave morse transceiver with me. Cost £60 as a kit. Two watts of radio power out to a wire antenna strung between the trees with homemade nettle cordage.....oh, alright, I lied....paracord.

With walkman earphones and morse key, I can chat around Europe, sometimes USA/Canada. Occasionaly you contact another station also doing 'wilderness radio' - see http://www.ae5x.com/crater_lake.html

Other odd thing I carry, depending where I am, is my gold pan.
You'd be surprised how many streams in the UK have small amounts of gold.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Doc said:

:shock: Really??? Any tips for a prospective prospector!!!! :-D

Thanks!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Adi007 said:
Doc said:

:shock: Really??? Any tips for a prospective prospector!!!! :-D

Thanks!

C'mon now !! We don't want to start a 'Gold Rush' in Stoke on Trent !! :)

The most unusual bit of kit I carry is a very tiny bottle (about 5ml) of some chilli sauce called 'Who Dares Burns!' (I know :lol: ) But when you've been foraging and cooked up, occasionall it tastes, well less than perfect. Add a few drops of this baby (1000,000,000 scoville units = effin' hot) and you won't care :-D

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Bought some habenero's once, for use in a jamaican stew thing. The recipie called for just 1 of em, dropped whole and un-pierced into the stew. It said if the pepper bursts, the stew becomes inedible so take care. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Ahh...forgot the seasoning. I like Knorr 'Seasonall' - pure monosodium glutamate though!

Re the gold panning: Lots of burns/streams are gold bearing: North Wales, Cornwall, Charnwood forest, maybe small amounts in the Lake District. Ireland has deposits in Wicklow and Sperrin. But the best opportunities are in Scotland: around Helmsdale/Strath of Kildonan, anywhere in the Crieff/Crianlarich/Pitlochry triangle, the Ochill hills, and also in Wanlockhead/ Mennock water area.

Panning is easy. A car hub cap/cooking pan will do, but a plastic riffled gold pan is ideal. I use a blue Klondike Special. Gold is 3-4 times heavier than rock and 20 times heavier than water. Put a spadeful of sand/gravel from a stream in the pan. Immerse in water, shake like hell, let the lighter stuff wash out.

Eventually you are left with the densest material ('black sand' - mostly iron and titanium oxides like magnetite and ilmenite). Sometimes you find spent lead shot in it - a good indicator that your technique is good. And, maybe flakes of gold. The biggest 'nuggets' I've found are match-head size, but I know folk who've found serious nuggets.

If you want to learn, you can go on courses, but alternatively, go to the Kildonan burn on a summer weekend, and look for anyone with a broad brimmed hat who is sucking gravel from the burn with a pump made from 3 foot of drainpipe. If you ask nicely, they'll show you how its done, and you can (?could) buy a pan at shops in Helmsdale.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
oddest thing is my bag at the moment is a flourescent pink measuing tape (well the case is pink, not the tape) Plastic rulers just haven't lasted anytime at all.... Must get round to making a tracking stick.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Doc said:
But the best opportunities are in Scotland: around Helmsdale/Strath of Kildonan,
If you want to learn, you can go on courses, but alternatively, go to the Kildonan burn on a summer weekend, .

What did you tell them that for?

I live down the road from Helmsdale.

I have a book called "At the end of the Rainbow" it shows places throughout Scotland where gold has been found.

OK as long as the Midges arwe not out to play

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
The oddest thing..hmmm.

Iron wool (?) the best way to get a fire started!

or

perhaps.....juggling balls, very relaxing after a hard walk (its a type of meditation if your at a certain level)

cheers,

Jake

Feb 5, 2004
I quess the odest thing I cary is a role of eletrical tape, and crazy glue.
Whats even odder? I basicaly consider that my 1st aid kit :oops:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
A cotton bag - about half the size of a pillow case. Useful for foraging, gathering etc, or stuff it with grass, bracken or similar and I've got a pillow for my strangest bit of kit --- my head!

Dave :-D

A

Anonymous

A small container of black pepper... never leave home without it, as I find it just adds that little something to make the perfect meal, every time.

D

Dutchman

Stew said:
I wondered what you lot have as your "unusual" item(s).

- Petzl quickdraw (= 2 non locking carabiners + express sling)
- DMM carabiner (twistlock)
- 3 mtr sling (unstitched)

Comes in handy for many tasks :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE