Most hard wearing and Long lasting clothing you own ( and the shortest before thrown)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kev627

Sep 22, 2013
Amesbury
Norwegian army shirt, bought by my dad in the early 80s whilst in Norway and used each winter for 15 years before I got it and I still regularly use it!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
fjallraven vidda trousers... they get worn all year round, not just one season and have done so for over 12 years... not a single thread is out of place and they have seen some action!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Haglofs rugged fjell trousers. I prefer them to the Klattermusen horg trousers I have and rate. I have Rugged Mountain too, all of these are several years old and I live in them when not at work.

Still I think the balance of durability, breathability and quick dry, my Rugged Fjell win. At four years old, stalking, in the brambles, in the Cairngorms... They still appear to have little wear.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - seriously now:)
My longest lasting, regularly worn bit of Bushcraft and Outdoor clothing is the Eastern Mountain Sports shirt (a discontinued model...) that I picked up in Boston USA in 2005.
I picked up three of the shirts and they still do sterling service every summer despite having seen wear on numerous expeds to the bush in Africa, the Asian jungle and more than a few trips to the naughty corner at the Moot!
The shirt is seen in the photo with the croc ... taken in 2005 in the St Lucia wetlands, South Africa!
tilley1.jpg

Brynderi

Nov 2, 2003
New Zealand
Barbour International jacket bought in early 1980s with just some wear to the lining in one spot where it rubs on my knife clip. I suspect it'll still be around long after I've kicked the bucket. Also a Rohan wild vest bought this week in 1992 while on honeymoon....25th anniversary was the day before yesterday. Worn regularly and looks as new. My daughter, who is now 24, says it belongs to her because I used to use it as her duvet when we went camping when she was little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I still have the first sweater my wife knitted for me 55 years ago. But it is cheating a bit because I hardly ever wear it because I don't want to wear it out for sentimental reasons.

More seriously, I have just noticed as I am about to wash and reproof my Paramount Cascara jacket, that I wrote the purchase date on the label: 2007. I hadn't realised it was so old and it is still in perfect nick despite being on me or in my ransack every day since I bought it.

I also have a pair of Rohan bags that must be nearly 30 years old, but they have spent much of the time as backup in my travel bag.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I had a camo waterproof fishing suit (coat, trousers) made by a company called klobba (I think anyway) I was probably 13 when I got it (after begging and begging for it as an early xmas present off my parents, pretty shameful really haha) in a size small and they used to swamp me, it took some years to grow into.
The jacket was a warm brushed polyester parka with snap on hood, poachers pocket, hand warmers, bellowed pockets, etc. Breathable, wind/waterproof. Excellent grass/riverbank camo and is ideal for what it is meant for. Fishing/hunting.

Trousers were just wind/waterproof over trousers with suspenders. They recently kicked the bucket after the zipper broke, I outgrew em height wise and the waterproof membrane wore out.

After thinking about that suit it brought back some real good memories, that was a lot of my teenage years spent in that suit, from when I first saw it in the just opened tackle shop, which me and my old friends became well acquainted with (one of em works there now haha)
To fishing for pike with my pals in the snow to doing my paper round at 6am in the middle of a storm before school to walking a dog it has outlived on a cool summers evening. the jacket is still going strong now (although not 100% waterproof anymore) and sees regular use at work when it's just a bit cold and windy. Not bad for a jacket that's 9 maybe 10 years old and cost 30 quid new.

Funny thing is despite how well it has served me I'd never buy a jacket like that these days. I don't like synthetic materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Haglofs rugged fjell trousers. I prefer them to the Klattermusen horg trousers I have and rate. I have Rugged Mountain too, all of these are several years old and I live in them when not at work.

Still I think the balance of durability, breathability and quick dry, my Rugged Fjell win. At four years old, stalking, in the brambles, in the Cairngorms... They still appear to have little wear.

Would you mind doing a quick run down of the Mountain vs the Fjell pants? By chance I've been looking at both of these but can't decide between them.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
No doubt - Swanndri Hooded Bush Shirt.

I was good for all weather types when I was only using it for bushcrafting, still my #1 wearable when hiking bushcrafting or hunting, no matter the season. When this gets lost or outworn - I will immediately buy another one.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
my pair of Reef Sumbawa trekking sandals. I've had them for 20 years and they're still going strong. They've been around India and countless other countries. Waded up and down endless UK rivers, and been abused at festivals and beaches.

They don't make them anymore, and I've searched high and low for another pair, with only a scant few remaining on Ebay in massive or tiny sizes. Oh to be able to find another pair of the holy grail of trekking sandals.

iurde

Dec 18, 2016
Cantabria, Northern Spain
I go from recent to old:
-Austrian army trousers, since 2007
-Fleece plaid shirt, bought in a street market in Santander (Spain) around 2001
-Yellow Timberland boots, I got them in Nashville (TN, USA) in 1997. Resoled 3 times, but they passed away last winter.
-Green Barbour Beaufort jacket, purchased in Croydon (UK) in 1989
-self-made leather sandals around 1978. They have been re-soled 5 times
-absolute champion: linen summer shirt, inherited from my late father. My mother says he already had this shirt when he started dating her around 1954!!!
:p

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Blacks Ventile Anorak had this for forty years, orange color for safety, now a bit bleached from being used for bum sliding in the snow. Goes a bit stiff in the wet, but still preferred to Goretex as it seems to be more breathable.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
One of the either 1st of 2nfd gen rab vapour rise smocks from when i was about 19ish, it was a bit big then but fits nicely now in a large. Gets worn most days every winter and often in summer.

Tonyuk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
similar to what santaman said, Of stuff i wear often enough to prove its hard wearing

Then my mighty m65 jacket has to be the winner. Near 20 years old and half of that as a farmers work coat. On my back everyday from autum to spring....couple of poppers have gone but it just wont die

Other mentions are lowe alpine mountain cap, same as above really
And u.s issue tropical socks. Had those for years and years amazingly hard wearing

Shortest are too many to mention. Trousers, shirts, and coats i can kill in a day at work

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Has anyone mentioned smelly Helly Hansen base layers? I got a crew neck, long-sleeved one as a young teenager and I'm now towards mid forties. I still own and fit into it. It was bought when I got into whitewater kayaking as I read the pp tops were the best thing to wear under a wetsuit. It's got absolutely no sign of wear off any kind. Not faded or washed out. Not worn with holes in high wear places such as lower back where rucksack sits. Nothing is wrong with it other than the pp weakness in the way it holds on to odors more than other synthetic fabrics.

If anyone else has a HH lift top that is older and gets used let us know. Got to be one of the most durable synthetic garments available.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Has anyone mentioned smelly Helly Hansen base layers? I got a crew neck, long-sleeved one as a young teenager and I'm now towards mid forties. I still own and fit into it. It was bought when I got into whitewater kayaking as I read the pp tops were the best thing to wear under a wetsuit. It's got absolutely no sign of wear off any kind. Not faded or washed out. Not worn with holes in high wear places such as lower back where rucksack sits. Nothing is wrong with it other than the pp weakness in the way it holds on to odors more than other synthetic fabrics.

If anyone else has a HH lift top that is older and gets used let us know. Got to be one of the most durable synthetic garments available.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE