Most hard wearing and Long lasting clothing you own ( and the shortest before thrown)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RichardJackson

Forager
Jul 7, 2011
Beccles
Hely hansen field jacket bought 1987 with first paypacket. Still in use as winter work overlayer. Melted pocket with anglegrinder but patched. Otherwise grand. Just bought a second hand H/H dutch army fleece off here and well pleased with the wool version.

Worst gear.... er too much to mention everytime i think 'oh that'll do and it's cheap'.....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
Klättermusen Gere pants. Indestructible. Have made changes so they fit outside a pair of downhill boots. So I use them for everything. From summer hiking to winter downhill skiing. Not quite windproof but enough. Maybe not for the hottest days.
deb815f3038bf46a7aa2ac1e9c706cff.jpg

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Klättermusen Gere pants. Indestructible. Have made changes so they fit outside a pair of downhill boots. So I use them for everything. From summer hiking to winter downhill skiing. Not quite windproof but enough. Maybe not for the hottest days.
deb815f3038bf46a7aa2ac1e9c706cff.jpg

These look very good albeit at £200 they'd need to be! I was intending to purchase a second pair of Fjallraven Vida Pro's but may stretch to the extra £40 and give them a go.

K

Last edited:

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Cactus supershorts, or supertrousers. NZ made from heavy weight canvas, not the cheapest but have worn them everyday for 10 years and still not worn out.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Bison Bushcraft Trousers with the ventile knees. Fjallraven barents pro trousers. Montane mens Terra Pants.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A pirate costume I made for a panto about 20 years ago - it gets regular use in the theatre and for fancy dress - made from old curtains....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have several items over 10 years old, some even over 20. But if I'm honest they don't get worn often enough for age alone to tell the story. It just doesn't get cold enough here to wear wool (Pendleton shirts and Cabela's sweaters) more than two or three times a year. Likewise I don't ride as much as I used to so my 15 year old Justin boots don't get worn more than a few times a year.

I suppose my Dickies blue jeans (one of four pair are worn every day----long jeans in cool months, short jeans in warm months) would be the best example. They usually last a year or two before I replace them due to fading.

Then there's my hats. One is an Akubra Snowy River that's worn regularly: nearly daily in cooler months and at least a couple of times a week in warmer weather. It's about seven years old now and has survived being pulled, tugged, and generally mangled by a toddler.

Last edited:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
cheapo fleece shirt bought for around £2.99 from BOYES (if your from the North east you'll know who Boyes are) C1988, worn a LOT, all the buttons still good, not worn thin, still very warm and comfortable. Just one or 2 melt holes, but I'd say a BARGAIN. Other good kit is the commando socks, although they arent as soft and thick built underfoot as they used to be. They still last for ages though even after many washes

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You asked also for the worst. Sorry. Have not bought any for some years.

Anything at all from Columbia Sportswear. Nice to look at, useful designs but never buy any of it.
The fabrics rip and shred, the stitching pulls apart. Buttons pop off, never to be seen again.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
Hoggs Moleskin jeans are indestructible and my old Spray way WNW fleece I have had for over 17 years has outlived every otger jacket i have ever had. Gutted they stopped making them.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
My birthday suit, a bit saggy in places and more than a few wrinkles but still going strong almost sixty years old now!

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
Rohan Expedition shirts 3 of about 25 yrs old, wear them all the time & Rohan backpack trousers can't wear them out same age, Can't really say the same about the latest stuff, bought a winter shirt & the cuffs wore through & I hadn't worn it that much, so took it back, after a year, but could only get a rohan card for the price of the shirt that happend to be in a sale, could't get a refund, since that haven't been able to get anything I like in my size for the same money or paying full price, I always loved Rohan stuff but this has put me off a bit :(

Trotsky

One of the best, bomb proof things I ever got was a Belgian Airforce Flecktarn jacket (Seyntex), dates back to '88-'89 ish. It's waterproof, windproof, has more pockets than you can shake a stick at and the camo means you can blend in really well. Mine has seen heavy use daily for almost a decade and has only recently started looking tatty. Being so impressed with it I started looking around for another one late last year and for a while I hit a brick wall. It was then I discovered it was Belgian and not German as I thought it had been due to the camo and I also found just how short lived the pattern had been in Belgian use so they were like hen's teeth! After searching high and low and finding nothing I resigned myself to the fact I'd never get another and picked up one of the M90 Jigsaw jackets on the cheap (still well made but, doesn't compare otherwise.) Then as if by magic those guys at Varusteleka got some in and they're mint un-issued, so I threw some money at them and now I'm thinking I need to have a clear out of jackets. https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/belgian-parka-flecktarn-surplus/55322

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Army surplus is long lasting, I have a soldier 95 smock I have had for getting on 15 years, but I think my Buffalo Special 6 is older than that though it gets less wear. I would say in terms of absolute longevity though is a Rohan shirt I had since the 1980s

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Rohan Bags - well old and still serving their time for gardening.

bought a pair of cheap Hi Tech boots once - fell apart after two outings!

As it happens I am wearing a pair of Rohan Bags as I write but they have been repaired more than once.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE