Most hard wearing and Long lasting clothing you own ( and the shortest before thrown)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Was going to start this with just trousers as a question but then thought why not everything.

what is it and how long owned

Trousers are my arctic DPM combats trouser and a pair of Rohan bags around the early 1990,s
least my 5.11 trousers wore out within 2 years

a Jersey Heavy Wool Jumpers got issued in 1988 still wear
Helly Hansen fibre pile jacket worn since 1994/5

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wax jacket, now thirty years old and still wearable.

Hand knitted pure wool aran jumper, thirty five years old and still gets worn….first thing I ever knitted for HWMBLT and I can't get him out of it in Winter.

North Face UV protection shirts, bought in 1996 and still sound and being used, and they've had a hard life too.

Original 1970's puffer jacket (nylon shell stuffed with polyester, I think) sold to folks who did mountaineering and ski-ing and Winter kayaking. It's still sound and seems in perfect condition, and it has been well used and still gets used when it's freezing.
Bright red with a blue inner. They also came in black with red lining.

The one thing I note about all of these items is that not one of them was cheap when it was bought. I don't know if that means we took more care of them (not my shirts or wax jacket though; those were bought for work wear) or just that quality, even of modern fabrics, means they've endured and stood up really well over time.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Forgot about fleeces :eek:
Rohan reversible fleece, bought late 1990, I bought two of them half price in the sale, at fifty quid each. Son1's finally died a death a couple of years ago but HWMBLT's has been well worn but still looks like new.

M

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
Buffalo Belay jacket I got it 20yrs agoand it was 2nd hand then. still perfectly serviceable.goodjob
worst thing I have bought was Go-outdoors micro fleece worn once washed and so out of shape unserviceable.:mad:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I have three pairs of blue everyday thick mixed fibre socks purchased nearly 30 years ago. Only last year did they start to show signs of wear and in February a hole appeared in one and I cried!

If only I could recall the make and actual materials used.

K

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The 'durable' is my Patagonia Synchilla fleece top - given to me as a wedding present by the ball 'n' chain in 1987; it's still going strong but looking a little tired now.

The worst thing was a Berghaus Activent top which did not even last a year.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
British army issue arctic socks....5 pairs issued about 2003 and still going strong! (Only wear them in the winter though)

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Rohan Bags - well old and still serving their time for gardening.

bought a pair of cheap Hi Tech boots once - fell apart after two outings!

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
Best Swanndri bushirt bought around 1990, been darned a few times due to puppy teeth but still going strong.
Worst a pair of Karrimor boots, absolute rubbish.
One top I do miss is a Mountain Equipment Ultrafleece jacket that went everywhere with me but finally died when the zip broke and there were too many burn holes in the arms.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have a Jack Wolfskin fleece that I bought in 1997, still going strong apart from the elastic that could probably be replaced if I was bothered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cheap, simple nylon(?) jacket for spring skiing. Lined, little insulation. 1977 - 2010.
Just about daily wear in autumn & spring. Bright red, wore it bird hunting, too.
The main zipper actually wore out. I miss it.

Wrangler blue jeans. I'm not hard on clothing but the pocket hems are shredded in 6 weeks.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Probably my carhartt double front trousers and my filson wool vest.

Good solid clothes built for purpose owned for a good few years now and the vest was second hand when I got it.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
RedWing Red Setter boots, bought 1979. Still fantastic, but have to retire due to bad joint ( need lightweight foot wear)
Have army knee high socks that I by misstake took home a bunch of.

Have my old M59 trousers but they have shrunk a lot so I can not fit in them anymore.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE