mors kochanski 1.8L Pot. or the Dave Canterbury similar pot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Other than one is stainless steel and one anodised aluminium what are the other differences?

Who has which and why would you recommend one over the other. Both look the same in design.

Last edited:

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
They are essentially the same, both have locking handles and a creased pouring spout. I am a real fan of the Canturbury pots (both sizes) and have used them over gas burners and open fires with no problems at all. Today I received my Christmas pressie to my self and got a Kochanski pot, unfortunately I haven't had the chance to use it in anger yet but just by handling it I did notice how light it felt. The lid on the Kochanski is quite tight fitting compared to my Canturbury one but I believe that the Canturbury has had a minor redesign and the new ones have a tight fitting lid. The only other factor I can think of is that the Canturbury pot has a flat lid with a slight lip on it which would easily hold hot coals if you wanted to use it to bake in whereas the Kochanski has a slightly dome shaped lid that might not hold hot coals so well.

I'll let you know more when I have done some road testing!

Hope that helps

Sean

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I’ve got both but Sean has covered the differences. I annoyingly managed to burn a tiny hole in my small Mors Pot so I think the Canterbury has the edge. I got a workshop pal to add the handles to my Zebra so it wasn’t a complete waste of money.

Reactions: slasha9

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have both and the one that always gets put in the pack is the Dave Canterbury s/s version. It's good, strong and functional. What more could you need?

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have both and the main parts have been covered except the Mors pot because it is made of Ali, is slightly lighter than the Dave pot. I have also had the solo stove but when I compared all three the Solo pot went and I kept the Mors and Dave pots. Both are used alot, but i do find the dave being used more as I have the set with the larger pot and fry pan with lid (making it a good set up for everything). The Mors pot I team with a trangia fry pan and pot gripper; that set up is a lot lighter ands great when walking with a pack. :)

N

Nomad

I bought one of these recently from Aliexpress, stainless steel, 1.2L so smaller capacity than the pukka Mors pot, certainly well made and a fraction of the price, at the time i paid less than a tenner delivered, even came in a handy dandy storage bag.

I recently got one of those on eBay for a tenner. They can generally be found for £10-11. Agreed on the build quality - feels good and sturdy. A few observations from the one I have...

• The bail has a slight detent when raised and stays upright on its own. It doesn't go past the detent - folds down towards the butterfly handles.
  • The lid is a loose fit and easily lifts up with a stick.
  • The loop on the lid has no friction, so can fall over, but will stay upright if the lid is level (when raised, it balances towards staying up). The shape of the loop is such that something thin can easily be hooked under the wire to lift it (it's L-shaped and has a gap at the hinge end when it's down).
  • The bail mountings are riveted to the main pot, so a potential for gunk to build up.
  • The body of the pot behind the spout has holes in it, so another potential for gunk to build up (especially inside the spout). The holes are quite small, so a relatively slow flow rate.
  • Easy to do a controlled pour (given gloves or other insulation), but some care needed to not pour so quickly that it flows over the edge.
  • Has accurate graduations readable from inside for 300, 500 and 700ml. Filling to just below the rivets is 1000ml, and that's the practical maximum.

As a pot for boiling water and making brews, it's excellent, and a bargain.

Clanchief

Oct 14, 2017
Lomondside to Glasgow
I would go for stainless every time.

Long ago the aluminium gear came into home cooking, most of it was binned, and some thought it ok to keep for camping.

No matter how much you clean it the cloth is covered in the oxide which is not good for you, and been banned from many products.

The links to mental health are not to be ignored.

I use the solo stove pot which is similar and other SS pots from Cabelas, over the years.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Went for the Dave Canterbury pot and one of his frying pans both I am impressed with. Replacing all my others when camping and hillwalking with the children.

Solo’s remain metal mug.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE