More pics... hike at Cape Split, Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
Hi,

Here are some pics of my hike today at Cape Split, Bay of Fundy. I got up a 4:30 AM to start hiking by 7:00 AM, in order to be at the lookout for the tide coming in. They are apparently the highest tides in the world, rising up to 8 ft. per hour... here is some info that I copied from a Nova Scotia site about them:

- The highest tides on planet Earth occur near Wolfville, in Nova Scotia's Minas Basin (this is essentially where I was).
- The water level at high tide can be as much as 16 meters (52.5 feet) higher than at low tide.
- Small Atlantic tides drive the Bay of Fundy/Gulf of Maine system near resonance to produce the huge tides.
- Near mid-tide at Cape Split, one may hear the "voice of the Moon" in the form of the roar emitted by turbulent tidal currents.
- At mid-tide, the flow in Minas Cannel north of Blomidon equals the combined flow of all the rivers and streams on Earth!
- Nova Scotia bends when the tide comes in! As 14 billion tonnes (14 cubic kilometers) of sea water flow into Minas Basin twice daily, the Nova Scotia countryside actually tilts slightly under the immense load!

For the movies (warning... large downloads!) below, you can right-click and "Save Target As..." They're .mov files, and play in QuickTime

NOTE!! Large File This movie is huge (50 MB), but it's an excellent panorama view. It takes about 20 minutes to download with a cable modem, so dial-up folks may not want to bother, and pay-by-minute folks don't even think about it! :):
http://harlos.net/photos/CapeSplit/panorama.mov

This movie (20 MB) shows the tide rushing in at Cape Split, and you can hear the "voice of the Moon" mentioned above:
http://harlos.net/photos/CapeSplit/tide.mov

Here is some false tinder fungus (Fomes fomentarius):

FalseTinder.jpg

True tinder fungus (Innotus Obliqus), being harvested with my Busse Leaner mean Street :) (actually, I left the fungus... the knife was just posing):

TrueTinder.jpg

A resin blister in a balsam fir:

resin.jpg

Some scenes:

The white water here is from the tide rushing in:

Cliffs1.jpg

Cliffs3.jpg

Cliffs2.jpg

Cliffs5.jpg

Clifftree.jpg

clifftree2.jpg

This (below) is the lookout that I used. The pic below it is me on this. It was a bit scary using the self-timer, trying to rush in front of the camera without tripping... the drops is a few hundred feet off this narrow point!:

lookout.jpg

mike2.jpg

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
I thought blacks harbor in Canada was the highest up there where the fish plant is i was there years ago when i got to the plant the fish boats with there load was way out into the sea waiting for hi tide to come i was on the dock looking down there was two boats there look like toys it was low tide

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
oops56 said:
I thought blacks harbor in Canada was the highest up there where the fish plant is i was there years ago when i got to the plant the fish boats with there load was way out into the sea waiting for hi tide to come i was on the dock looking down there was two boats there look like toys it was low tide
Hi,

Sorry... I meant that the Bay of Fundy tides rather than specifically the Cape Split tides. Both Cape Split and Blacks Harbour are on the Bay of Fundy; Blacks Harbour is on the New Brunswick side.

Mike

D

Don'tkillbill

Mike,

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the trails and a few suggestions.

My family will be doing a big trip this year with a stop in Wolfeville.

We are going from PEI to the Parrsboro (across from Wolfeville kinda) then to Halifax , actually outside of the city a bit a place called the ovens, then to Wolfville area then take the Digby ferry to NB followed by a trip to Fundy park.

I'm a huge fan of Fundy National park as I can take the family and our little trailer and find real wilderness.

I hope to get to Cape Split this year and your pictures really motivate me to get ready for hiking again.

What are your favourite trails?

I guess my favourite to date is in Fundy park, 3rd vault falls....

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
Don'tkillbill said:

I hope to get to Cape Split this year and your pictures really motivate me to get ready for hiking again.

What are your favourite trails?
I wish I knew the area as well as you do! :) I'm just visiting from Winnipeg for a month, and will be trying out as many trails as I can. Cape Split was wonderful, and the experience is enhanced by visiting during mid-point of incoming tide. I've only hiked there, plus a small walk along the coast a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry that I don't have more info!

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE