More family articles and kit reviews

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I don't think there are many limits to Bushcraft skills you can teach kids. You just need to see where their interests lie and then use your own judgement of what their capabilities are. For instance I thought river crossings would be one limitation, but then one day I come back to camp to find their dad giving them a lesson in it and them midstream floating their backpacks across! :shock: I also thought night navigation would be too much for kids, but when it comes down to it they handle the dark better than I do! :lol:

My kids have grown up surrounded by these ideas (hiking, navigation, sleeping outdoors without a tent, lighting fires, using knives, plant recognition, survival skills etc) and are happily developing their own skills. If they see you enjoying bushcraft, they will join in! Mostly it starts with play, imho. Make a game out of it!

But, sometimes kids these days do need a bit more of a push to get them outdoors than kids used to, because there's so much more interesting stuff to do inside. And because kid's television and movies tend to be somewhat biased against the outdoors, you may have to actually give them lessons in doing some of the stuff that used to come naturally to kids eg. building dens or making mud pies (the first steps of bushcraft?? :)) because they don't necessarily see other kids doing these things on tv. But once they get the hang of it, there will be no stopping them and you can take it from there. :lol:

Have fun! :-D

Mar 2, 2004
good one kath, you gotta drag em out sometimes .but once theyre out they soon come round.i gotta take mine to the forest park now for a long walk in the dark,their choice i may add!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE