More family articles and kit reviews

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Di

Apr 17, 2003
Wales
Can we have some more information on bushcrafting with a family?
Ways of teaching the children about nature that they will find interesting?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Hi Di,

Just for you I will be penning a short peice in the very near future.

As a taster, I find that children respond better to games than instruction so thats the place to start - make the outdoors fun rather than a lecture hall.

Gary.

shelly

Admin
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Deepest Wales
My kids love the sense of adventure that comes with being outdoors, especially if there is wildlife to see fruit to eat etc. They will really listen and learn if it means they can get closer to a squirrel or a bird. Use the opportunities as they arise, the children usually create them themselves, we just need to be aware and act.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Over the next few months we are going to be collecting information so that we can have a family area on the site. So if you have any ideas let us know. It's going to be good so keep an eye out for it.

harry

BCUK Test Account
Jun 18, 2003
UK
Glad to see that there is some stuff on kids going up on the site. Has anyone had experience of teaching kids (5years) to carve?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Harry,

I've taught on family courses were the children have had small pen knifes at around 5 years and generally they make great pointed sticks when carving.

Things to be aware of though are, an infant doesnt have the strength for sustained work so dont expect too much and as they will tire easily accidents are more likely to happen if supervison isnt maintained.

Also it helps if they are using a sensibly sized tool - no Mears machettes here and no folders either. I'd suggest either a small Bruseletto such as the Troll or visit kellam knives webiste and you'll see they actually sell a blunt ended training knife - ideal for children and greenhorn adults too.

If you contact Kellam mention this site and Harriet will be more than happy to help you.

As for kids and carving projects - enjoy your pointy sticks!

Gary.

harry

BCUK Test Account
Jun 18, 2003
UK
Thanks for that Gary.
I wonder if there is a market for pointy sticks with the local Vampire hunters!!
What would be a good project to get the kids doing? Other than the pointy stick!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Harry, on all the bushcraft course I've taught on we always start people off carving spoons - after safety instruction etc - and I'd say that would be a good place to start children to.

You would probably be better off carving the bowl for them and then let them loose on the rest.

Spoon carving is taught to bushcraft students as it requires the carver to use vertually all the cuts needed in carving and as such is excellent practice.

Bows and arrows out of Elder work well too and the elder isnt that strong as to make a deadly weapon.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
All kids love a den, even if it's just a corner of the garden or some other open space. I've an old homemade tarp which I took to putting up when we stop for a brew, out in the woods. My two have adopted it as a portable den now. They're getting better at pitching it all the time. Now their friends want to come out to the woods too. S'great :-D

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Pointy sticks are great! Kids love them. There's so much you can do with a pointy stick!

Get several pointy sticks, and stick them in the ground as the frame for a shelter, or the stakes for a hurdle.

Push them through apples, marshmallows, bits of meat and grill them over a small fire...

Dave Barker can make a child's knife to order; small blade, with a dull "point" (it still has a point, so it looks like a grown-up's knife). The handle suited to the size of a child's hand...

Here's the thread:
http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?t=277&highlight=

Tony, did you get him to make one for you?

Keith.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
If you are interested in teaching children about bushcraft or finding camping organisations that do this I would recommend you look to the Woodcraft Folk or Forest School Camps (FSC) both have good websites- check them out, contact me if this interests you!
Jim. :wink:

Mar 2, 2004
couple of weeks ago i took my pair away to sleep in bivvy bags under a tarp,we had a fire and all the rest.if i knew how to post digital images i would post a couple as i always bring my little digital with me.ages 10 and 13.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
the naughty boy said:
yes m8 ,i tried that but it said they were too large ? how do i make them smaller i wonder? go to a photo forum? :cry:
If you are using Windows XP you can right click on the image and choose "Resize picture".

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
What types of file are they? I have XP pro and I get the option for GIF and JPG.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE