More Bull ( Badger?) Roarers!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Somewhat inspired by Kepis a little while back, I felt like getting back into whittling/carving but didn't want to make anymore spoons, as to be honest, I've "spooned out" for a while any way:rolleyes:

So I decided to knock up a few bull roarers, from the last remnants of the cherry tree in the garden, that I took down last winter.

a couple of finished ones
P1190006.jpg

P1190004.jpg

I didn't sand them, indeed, I don't bother to sand much of my craft stuff these days, preferring to use a scraper I made from tool steel to smooth the surface.

These are still in the rough
P1190003.jpg

but I'm intending to leave them fairly rough and lumpy to see if the sound they make is much different.:)

I roughed them out with a modified hatchet ( the same one I tried to remove my thumb with last year!:rolleyes:) and I used my trusty, home made, mocotaugan for the carving itself.

The pyrography on the finished ones was just done with a pyro iron.

Oh they sound excellent as well, I string them the same as Kepis, with artificial sinew, as it offers less air drag and definitely works better than other cordage I've tried so far.

Anyway, I just thought I'd see if I could inspire a few of you out there, as I was inspired ( cheers Kepis;)) to get yourself going and get some wood chips a flying!

sincere best wishes to all

Steve

rancid badger

Thanks for that IB;)

I've said it many times before; I just doodle on stuff and see what happens:)

I forgot to mention (as well as post a photo to illustrate:eek:) that you need to make them fairly thin in cross section.

thanks again

best wishes

Steve

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
They look great.
Kepis inspired me to make one out of cherry, which is lost somewhere in my garage workshop.
Me thinks, as I have some cherry given to me again I'll make one tomorrow morning after breakfast.
Thanks for posting.

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Well done most impressed... like the pyro work
reminds me when i made one out of some filed down aluminium (I know not really bushcrafty.. :)) worked a treat but hurt like hell if it hit you, should have dulled the edge a bit!!! dont think i thought that one through!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE