Mora troubles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Englander

Sep 30, 2006
Wigan
I bought some mora's off the Ray Mears website, seeing as they were really cheap and make an excellent backup knife, especially since the blade is so thin compared to my F1, so i thought better for food prep etc.

My problem.... They keep rusting to death on me! I use them, then clean them with washing up liquid and then dry them and sheath them, then when left rust no end. I havent used them a great lot. Am i doing something wrong? Should i be lubing/oiling them after EVERY use? or just storage? (more than a couple days non use?).

Ive been told Mineral Oil is really good for lubricating Swiss Army Knives and Multi tools and what not, maybee these aswell? Mineral Oil is supposed to be food friendly (well most sources say it is for the most part), but id rather not use it if there is another way (Mineral Oil aka Baby Oil).

Cheers for any advice

Craig.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Never had a problem with mine if i wipe blade clean after using, but then maybe its damper up in wigan. I light coat of oil should do the trick when storing. if you keep having problems sell them and get a stainless one

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
They should not rust if they are really dry unless you are storing them in a place with high humidity. Also, you want to make sure that there is no moisture trapped in the sheath as well. It's always a good idea to wipe your carbon blades down with a protectant. I used mineral oil a lot. For my wood carving knives, though, I prefer a teflon based protectant. Break Free is my favorite. Simply amazing stuff, but most teflon lubricants are top notch and will displace moisture. Another good choice is wax. Some waxes are is also food safe. Pure beeswax or canning wax, for instance You just want to make sure the knife is dry before application. My favorite for knives is something called Renaissance Wax. However, I'm not sure if Ren Wax is food safe. Made in England so maybe some of the blokes here will know. ;)

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Washing up Liquid will eat into the metal if its not all washed off and any left on will just eat through the oil you put on.
Washing up Liquid is made to eat through oil and grease.
Running hot water over it should be good enough.

MickT :)

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
I'm bound to say It can't rust if it's not wet/damp :rolleyes: so keep it somewhere dry when not using it and as for oil, olive oil works great! ;)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Or, you can buy a stainless Mora in 12c27 Sandvik steel. It's excellent stuff, and I'd say it's pretty much equal in performance to the high-carbon variety. The thing you'll notice is that although it doesn't oxidize, it's quite a bit harder to sharpen. It's a trade off really.

I like carbon steel, but in really wet environments I just don't think the upkeep is worth it.

My two cents!

Adam

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
Washing up liquid has a staggering amount of salt in it, maybe this is causing the rust, never ever use it to wash your car or bike!

Englander

Sep 30, 2006
Wigan
Thanks for all the advice! Definately some things there that could be causing it, i will try them and see how it goes, if im still getting problems, ill switch to stainless.

Thanks again!

Craig.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Also watch for cracks in the plastic handle where it meets the blade. I have seen the handle casing crack apart on a couple of them where students on courses have been using them to baton up pieces of wood. :11doh:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Apparantly my little Renault Clio also comes in White :confused: ........ :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Seriously, thanks for the info on Washing up liquid, but why do builders use it in their cement mixes then?

M

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Toddy said:
Apparantly my little Renault Clio also comes in White :confused: ........ :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Seriously, thanks for the info on Washing up liquid, but why do builders use it in their cement mixes then?

M

They shouldn't really. Plasticizers, as they are called, are detergents but not exactly fairy liquid and are used to give mortar a "fluffier feel" (if you've not built a wall that description might not make much sense) which makes it easier to use when laying bricks and pointing etc. I'm pretty sure using supermarket stuff is detrimental to mortar in the long run but cheaper I guess?!:)

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
Used as a plasticiser as far as i know but frowned upon here on government jobs where a 'quality' purpose made products must be used. Sand here has to be really washed out too or the salt leaches out for months after a build.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have a stainless clipper and i cant fault it not a bit of rust and i have used it a fair bit helping my parents prepare food and cook
get one you wont regret it and for under a tenner even if it doesnt suite you it wont leave you broke
leon

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
I hear your pains! My brothers have teh same problem. I use mine for daily cooking, wash with washing up liquid, rinse and before its returned to its seath I put some.. OLIVE(!) oil on it.

MIne is not rusty, I keep doing it for my brothers too and tell tehm to do it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE