Mora forest kydex sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
I want to buy the new style mora knife but i would like to have a kydex sheath so i can fit to my leg (diving) and will also go on a belt or attach to a backpack. Does anyone know where or who sells and makes custom kydex sheaths?

Would it be easy for me to make it myself?

As a Kydex maker yes it can be done tho a leg attatch verion may not be the best to belt mount with out gettin expensive

as Dive instructor and a Technical Diver its not really a suitable dive knife and leg mount is the worst and most dangerous place to put a knife
tho i probably ahve spare rubber leg straps in my kit some where

ATB

Duncan

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
Why not on the leg?
Or at least maybe have the holes both sides at top and bottom so i could put on my leg but then have on a belt or backpack attachment.

How much you recon of costing?

Why not a mora for diving?

Would you recommend a dive knife? Fairly lightweight tho.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
A knife on the leg will snag on things and should you need to drop your rig quickly, it could get snagged too. Considered a dangerous practice now.

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
I also try to do alot of surfing (when funds are good) i have in the past had my leash caught in coral And other stuff and i dont fancy that again.
So the leg option would be good to have as when im surfing i dont want a knife poking in my side paddling on the board.

I want a knife for bushcraft/camping use anf to surf and dive with. And good allrounder.
Any suggestions??

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
FGYT
LuckyLee

And a few others I can't recall at the mo as I get confused with makers on here and BB.

Think Rapidboy does kydex too. According to a previous post Duncan is the 'kydex king'. After seeing some of is work I would tend to agree. Sorry Duncan but not kissing it :lmao:

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
The Rapidboy kydex 'system' sheath has many and varied attachments including a clever rucsac strap one. As for diving any non dive knife will rust to buggery-a Spyderco salt type knife instead?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Google martinsheaths, not p***ing on anyones chips but he is the man!

I have a pretty standard one for my F1, but he does some very fancy knife trousers!

I did have various large Dive knives after i started and i did Strap them to my leg ( i didnt use a lanyard as that was obviously a snag hazard)

After getting fed up with it snagging in Weed etc ( its like a barb on a hook) and after getting stuck on a Lobster pot line for a few mins in a raging Tidal current where it was difficult to bend round to get the knife handle off due to the force of water and my Buddy had long gone as you cant stop I did get free as the knife pulled out and was lost I fired up a DSMB and surfaced.

Once i started technical Diving on Deep wreck penetration it was obvious that a leg knife was a liability and probably out of reach if you did need it as it would be the cause of the problem.

A safety dive knife has only one purpose to cut you or your Team out of a tangle ( rope or more likely Mono line net you cant see) or cut you or your team out of the BCD/Harness
so a serrated edge is essential as what ever your cutting is usually next to and can be tightly agaisnt a bit of body you dont really want sharp points or a double edge this is a stress situation so panic/ shock is also a factor when a blade stars getting waved about at your main Artery even a cut in a dry suit could be fatal if your in cold water and have 1hr of Deco to do before you can get out.

Bushcraft stainless is a high carbon stainless which does rust and a fine scandi edge is delicate and more prone to rust

Dive knives are generally a cheap basic steel with better rust resistance that edge holding as they should only be used in an emergency that said mine still shows rust in the handle which i strip and clean then grease a couple of times a season

best mounting place is on the belt to the left of the buckle where both hands can get it easily its small so wont get in the way should be secured but not a lanyard checked regularly but only taken out for serious use

Mora Did infact make a Knife that a lot of divers used but haven't for a while it was basically the same as the electricians knife (see pic ) they do now but with a serrated edge

TopQ_Electrician__03196_zoom.jpg

not very macho but works well

you could get the mariner serrated blade clipper and grind it back to make a good rescue blade

i use a small BCD knife thats cheap
same as this but I use a cordura sheath with a rubber band to hold it in

knives_kn166.jpg

get the forester use it for bushcraft use and enjoy

but get a dedicated Dive knife enjoy the fact you may never use it if you need a pry bar or other take a separate tool.

I cant comment of Surf blades Ive never done it, leg mount maybe a sensible option

ATB
Duncan

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I did have various large Dive knives after i started and i did Strap them to my leg ( i didnt use a lanyard as that was obviously a snag hazard)

After getting fed up with it snagging in Weed etc ( its like a barb on a hook) and after getting stuck on a Lobster pot line for a few mins in a raging Tidal current where it was difficult to bend round to get the knife handle off due to the force of water and my Buddy had long gone as you cant stop I did get free as the knife pulled out and was lost I fired up a DSMB and surfaced.

Once i started technical Diving on Deep wreck penetration it was obvious that a leg knife was a liability and probably out of reach if you did need it as it would be the cause of the problem.

A safety dive knife has only one purpose to cut you or your Team out of a tangle ( rope or more likely Mono line net you cant see) or cut you or your team out of the BCD/Harness
so a serrated edge is essential as what ever your cutting is usually next to and can be tightly agaisnt a bit of body you dont really want sharp points or a double edge this is a stress situation so panic/ shock is also a factor when a blade stars getting waved about at your main Artery even a cut in a dry suit could be fatal if your in cold water and have 1hr of Deco to do before you can get out.

Bushcraft stainless is a high carbon stainless which does rust and a fine scandi edge is delicate and more prone to rust

Dive knives are generally a cheap basic steel with better rust resistance that edge holding as they should only be used in an emergency that said mine still shows rust in the handle which i strip and clean then grease a couple of times a season

best mounting place is on the belt to the left of the buckle where both hands can get it easily its small so wont get in the way should be secured but not a lanyard checked regularly but only taken out for serious use

Mora Did infact make a Knife that a lot of divers used but haven't for a while it was basically the same as the electricians knife (see pic ) they do now but with a serrated edge

TopQ_Electrician__03196_zoom.jpg

not very macho but works well

you could get the mariner serrated blade clipper and grind it back to make a good rescue blade

i use a small BCD knife thats cheap
same as this but I use a cordura sheath with a rubber band to hold it in

knives_kn166.jpg

get the forester use it for bushcraft use and enjoy

but get a dedicated Dive knife enjoy the fact you may never use it if you need a pry bar or other take a separate tool.

I cant comment of Surf blades Ive never done it, leg mount maybe a sensible option

ATB
Duncan
great advice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE