Mora, best knives?

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Anyone else think Mora make the best knives.

I got to have a play with a woodlore knife and some other very expensive knifes but can't really understand why they are so expensive.

Especially the woodlore knives, they are horrendously expensive for what the are, a mora 511 is only a few pound but the steal is just as good and the design is as good. Both in my opinion are equal in terms of what a knife can do.

Is the woodlore so expensive because of it's attachment to HRH?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The Woodlore is expensive because it is hand made by a now World renowned knife maker, who is exceptionally good at his job... and also, because it bears RMs name of course. But, also because of the high demand and the fact it passes through two stages of the sales process, which normally, custom knives don't, they usually go from maker to buyer, rather than maker to supplier to buyer. Both of which want to make profit, so jumps the price to the buyer.

You can't compare the two. Mass produced machine made V made individually by one man product. A Mora will do the job, but some people want handcrafted products. You can buy formica shelves and cupboards from Ikea, personally, I like rich wood made to fit my requirements and decor. Of course, I have Ikea stuff too. Nothing wrong with it.

udamiano

On a new journey
The Woodlore is expensive because it is hand made by a now World renowned knife maker, who is exceptionally good at his job... and also, because it bears RMs name of course. But, also because of the high demand and the fact it passes through two stages of the sales process, which normally, custom knives don't, they usually go from maker to buyer, rather than maker to supplier to buyer. Both of which want to make profit, so jumps the price to the buyer.

You can't compare the two. Mass produced machine made V made individually by one man product. A Mora will do the job, but some people want handcrafted products. You can buy formica shelves and cupboards from Ikea, personally, I like rich wood made to fit my requirements and decor. Of course, I have Ikea stuff too. Nothing wrong with it.

well Said I have a hand made knife, which the smith made to my exact requirements, for instance Im left handed and getting a knife that comes in a left-hand sheaf of the shelves is not easy, besides its a one of a kind, and I don't mind paying for exclusivity

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Well, I use o lot of mora's and a woodlore. It seems to me the moras are good, but the edge is not as robust as my woodlore, as a result I keep rolling the edges of the moras, especially if Im batoning (nothing very heavy, that's what an axe is for) of doing any tight concave cuts, like the hollowed end of a nt needle for instance ( the exception to this being the mora 106, which keeps its edge marvellously). I've never done this with the woodlore - mine is a WS Micarta version. Yes, I did wince at paying £95 for it new, but that was when they first came out and I reckon it'll see me out and the chap that comes next too. Would I bin all my mora's? No way, but the woodlore IS better in all respects, except price, in my opinion. Of course, your milage may vary.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Its like saying whos the best boxer Manny Pacquiao or Mike Tyson

far too many variables

if you dont want to pay the prices dont but also dont whine that other will

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I can't afford an Aston Martin but my Ford Mondeo does a pretty good job of ferrying me about. It's a great car but not the most expensive/rapid/desirable out there.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
WHO CARES! really! what ever works for you as a knife, a tool, a possession, whether you prefer to hold plastic, wood or bone, if you want convex concave or conjob, a knife is a knife is a knife, if you like it you will pay for it weather its a fiver or a monkey weather you wait a few days or a few years, weather its mass made or made by a man it his workshop beating steal out of the earth with a unicorn penis, its all down to individual preferance, and that said NO ONE should belittle another mans\womans choice of blade,no lets all get naked and do the man dance in the snow!

ScotsSurvival

Oct 12, 2010
Scotland
My first knife is a Mora 2010 and it has served me well in saying that, theres something to be said for a handcrafted knive that you just cant get with a factory Mora.

I seen a good few knives at the bushmoot and the handcrafted ones always seemed more robust better quality and a better finish. Longstirder makes a truely fantastic knife and the finish is stunning. Personally if I can afford it I would buy a handmade knife.

Knives seem really personal to me as well I don't like the Mora clipper because it does not feel right in my hand but the wife likes hers.

Horses for courses I say.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
It is very much whatever works for you, really. If your happy with Moras, stick with by all means. I've handled them and been impressed at what you get for very little money and nearly bought one. But you really can't beat the feel and quality of a good handmade knife. And as has been said above a days worth of light battoning will destroy the edge of a Mora but barely touch a Quality handmade blade.

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
I agree entirely with what everyone here has said, especially southey's very entertaining and imaginative take on things.

Knife choice is a very personal thing. Some people want to pay for something that will serve it's purpose exactly how they want it to, others want the satisfaction of making their own knife with their own hands, whilst others will want a factory made, mass produced item that will also do the primary job of a knife: cut things.

I have knives that most people would look at and break out in hysterics because of the state of the knife or the design being ridiculous, but I use every knife I own on a regular basis and each and every one has its uses. Would I pay for a mora? Yes. I have loads of them lying around the place (mainly becuause I keep losing them). Would I pay for a woodlore? Again, yes and I have. Although the woodlore stays in a drawer, I recognise the expertise that went into making it and think of it and my Moras as equals. I don't care what knife anyone uses. If it works for you, it's worth whatever you paid for it.

Some do jobs differently/better/worse than others, but if you didn't like it, you wouldn't keep hold of it. If it's worth the money to you, who's to say you paid too much or too little for it?

At the end of a day, it's a pointy bit of metal with a bit of wood/plastic/whatever stuck to it, in a bit of animal skin or a plastic sheath. I'd love to lay out a load of different knives in front of our ancestors and see which one they'd choose. Probably the one they liked the look of the most.

That said, I think I have a lot of ridiculous knives, and I like shiny things, so I'll most likely continue to buy said ridiculous bits of metal

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
WHO CARES! really!... if you like it you will pay for it weather its a fiver or a monkey weather you wait a few days or a few years, weather its mass made or made by a man it his workshop beating steal out of the earth with a unicorn penis...

Damn! Now you've given me another knife for my wish list!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Crikey! I knew Unicorns got up to some interesting things with virgins but never knew they were smiths too.

I see a whole new mythical cycle in the making!!!!!!!!!!

(Woodlore `feel` right, but I wouldnt pay that much for one)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Its like saying whos the best boxer Manny Pacquiao or Mike Tyson

far too many variables

if you dont want to pay the prices dont but also dont whine that other will

Manny is better pound for pound. But until he puts down Mayweather, I'll say even.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE