Moose hunting in Skaiti, northern Norway (contains pics of dead animals)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Two week ago I was at the yearly moose hunt. This is the last year we hunt in Skaiti, we have had the area for 4 years now (next year we have to apply for a new area).
As the weather along the coast was very wet all september we didn`t have high hopes conserning the weather in our hunting area.
But the weather was actually nice and the first day was an absolute joy.
We was stalking a big moose bull (and a cow) we saw across the valley.
We was only three men this first day and one was left to guide us using his binoculars.
Unfortunately the moose cow was restless and left before we arrived and the bull moose desided to follow her shortly after. We then had 150 meter to climb. Well, I guess we can`t score every time.

27777389.jpg

The second day we was full team (7men and one woman) and we was chasing moose trough some hillsides. Had a chance to shoot a bull moose (only 40-50 meters away) but we let it go as it was too small. We knew there was several bigger ones in the area.

27777564.jpg

The third day I spotted a bigger moose and we quikly laid a plan to get it. 6 shooters went to their pre planned posts and two of us went straight after the bull. As expected it was gone when I arrived the spot were he was resting. We followed it`s tracks for about 10 minutes when we heard two shots.
We heard on the radio that the bull was shot. Time to help out with the butchering.

27777591.jpg

27777626.jpg

27777663.jpg

It was a fairly large bull moose (284 kiloes slaughtered weight). When we was skinning the moose it started snowing (a little early on the year), and the morning after we woke up to this.

27777783.jpg

It continued to snow the following days and it was getting harder to walk trough the snow. We waded to our knees in the higher parts of the area.

27777817.jpg

The fifth day we shot a calf and desided to quit hunting as we were worried not to be able to drive out of the area.

27777911.jpg

We cut down the bull moose shot earlier, carried it down to the house and packed our gear. We was wondering wether we got our cars up the steep road, but it went OK.

27777842.jpg

27777859.jpg

27777879.jpg

The guy I drove with had parked his car on the mountain as he had very lousy tires and didn`t expect to get up the steep road from the house we hired. It had been snowing a little and we had to dig it out.

27777927.jpg

All in all the hunting trip was a success even though I didn`t shoot any moose personally and the snow made it physically hard.
I have already eaten several meals of moose meat and it was delicious.

Tor

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Excellent stuff. Nice to see as group hunt occur.

In Sweden moose hunting is also just about always done as a group effort. We are about 15 people in our team, and we have so far shot 7 adults and 2 calves, hoping for two more adults and 4 more calves (our full quota). We hunt from fixed stands and with a couple of free running dogs (they -- hopefully -- find a moose trail, follow it and keep it in place until the hunters reach it). Lots of time quitely sitting out in the woods looking at nature, very occationally a few minutes adrenalin ("moose!?! good angle and decent range?")

And: Tor, good job with the moose!

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I'm hoping to bag me a moose while I'm in Sweden, but with a camera rather than a rifle. All the locals around here reckon that there's a moose behind every tree, but the closest thing that I've seen is a perplexed looking roe deer standing in the middle of a field.

Cheers, Michael.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm hoping to bag me a moose while I'm in Sweden, but with a camera rather than a rifle. All the locals around here reckon that there's a moose behind every tree, but the closest thing that I've seen is a perplexed looking roe deer standing in the middle of a field.

There are plenty of moose in many parts, but right now they are extra skittish due to the annual hunt taking place (we select for the ones that are afraid of people in the woods in the autumn, and like hanging around buildings during the same time-period; we shoot a fair portion of the rest).

As to the roe deer,looking perplexed is one of the default states for them, about as common as "bouncing across the road just in front of a car" (I think they dare each other to cut it as close as they can).

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
As to the roe deer,looking perplexed is one of the default states for them, about as common as "bouncing across the road just in front of a car" (I think they dare each other to cut it as close as they can).[/QUOTE]

I recall seeing an advert for Volvo that was brought out when Japanese cars started to be introduced in Sweden.
It was a picture of a terrified looking Japanese family, squeezed into a small car.
The caption underneath read something like: "They don't have moose in Japan"

It still amuses me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE