Monthly build along?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fatbob

Nomad
Jun 29, 2012
Godmanchester
Here's my effort, its carved from honey buffalo horn, made it quite small it's only 6 inches in length, may have a go at a wooden one next to make a bigger one, ( its very addictive).
Hope you like it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Not my first netting needle - so I added a bit of fun and tried to see how fast I could make one using just knife, axe and Laplander....
Answer 38 mins inc the time it took to glue up the split in the point (more haste less speed!) with resin/charcoal/beeswax that I had in my "making" pouch...
Source wood - seasoned oak from the firewood pile

split off a section

Sized and smoothed with axe and knife

carved to shape

glued the split in the tip (over eager smoothing out of the inside with the knife...)

Seen here with a couple of my older needles in mahogany type hardwood and one I made at the Moot a year or two ago plus my guage.
Fun!
Now I must get back to making a net....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow john thats really nice..... and FAST

Putting us all to shame lol

Dave
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Fast - yeah - but it was going too fast that broke the tip!
Oh, and the holes were drilled using the awl thingy on my SAK not my main knife but then enlarged with my main knife.
The finish is a bit rougher than it looks in the photos TBH - but it is workable....

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Two that i made last week from some Ash for a customer of mine.

DSCN4829.jpg

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Good idea this. Looks very easy for a novice to attempt. That's me then.

How big are they?

No rules like only using one knife?

Where do you get your wood from? What commonly obtained wood is OK to use?

Take it you split off a sliver from a bit of straight log. Then drill out corners of the cutouts and then carve out to the holes to get the shape. Simples! What can go wrong?

Do you know what the best thing about this idea is? It's a simple idea, simple project and has plenty of time for ppl to try it. But the real genius is you tempt ppl to try carving who wld never try without this as encouragement. I'm one of them. Carving is something I've wanted to try but have no confidence or idea what to make. I might never use this item but at least it makes good start!

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Good idea this. Looks very easy for a novice to attempt. That's me then.

How big are they?
As Big as you want

No rules like only using one knife?
No Rules just enjoy

Where do you get your wood from? What commonly obtained wood is OK to use?
Any wood would be fine but for carving it, but if you want to use it afterwards i'd pick something hard wearing.

Take it you split off a sliver from a bit of straight log. Then drill out corners of the cutouts and then carve out to the holes to get the shape. Simples! What can go wrong?

Do you know what the best thing about this idea is? It's a simple idea, simple project and has plenty of time for ppl to try it. But the real genius is you tempt ppl to try carving who wld never try without this as encouragement. I'm one of them. Carving is something I've wanted to try but have no confidence or idea what to make. I might never use this item but at least it makes good start!

Thanks for your kind words too

Dave

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
So, I had a go today. I had never carved one before, and will have to try again when I find some other wood. Here is my attempt in pictures:

2013-05-05+12.05.02.jpg

I had a flat piece of wood that unfortunatey had some twisted grain in it. I figured I`d just try and see where I`d end up with it. I got a general outline and then I borrowed mr Fennas idea and drilled holes with the awl on my SAK.

P5050017.JPG

Then I used the saw to connect the holes:

P5050019.JPG

Then while trying to figure out how to go about shaping the 'inside' I borrowed another of mr Fennas ideas, and caused it to split.

P5050034.JPG

Frustrating enough, but nothing that a little glue can`t fix. Currently it is in this state:

2013-05-05+18.49.36.jpg

Ideally I`d like to clean it up more, but it is quite thin and I don`t want to split or break it more.

I really like this build-along idea! This project presented me with knife-angles and cuts I had never tried before, and I learned a thing or two. I have to give this one another go with a bit of wood that is big enough to clean up properly before I begin the actual shaping.

Will the next build-along be the making of a net? I never did that either.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Was thinking maybe a bucksaw for next months, net will be there somewhere though (takes a bit longer than a couple of hours lol) Ideally want to keep the first couple of projects quite small and not too time consuming to get a decent number of people involved, then when its established look at more ambitious projects.

Dave

Oh and by the way kepis they look stunning, and two socks not bad for a first effort!

MikeCoats

Apr 10, 2013
Inverness, Scotland
Well, I managed to continue the trend of splitting the head on my needle, but unlike everyone else I split it in two places completely removing the top. Oops :p

I decided that instead of repairing it, I'd use my knowledge gained from the first one and make my second even better. I'd agree with everyone else that it was a good project for getting to grips with some different cuts and some lateral thinking about how to avoid cutting against the grain and getting a nice finish.

I made mine from some Lime that I picked up on-line for learning to whittle and carve and it was a dream even though it was as dried and seasoned as a really dried and seasoned thing. The only tools I used were my Svord Peasant Knife Mini and my Large Pick Knife from Ben Orford. I begun by splitting a width of wood off the Lime block by driving the Svord through it, tapping the back of the blade into the block with a big old bit of branch I had lying about. I then continued with the basic shaping with the Svord until I had all of the rough cutting done. I moved on to the Orford Pick Knife to clean up the rougher cuts in the corners as its nice thin point allowed for good clean cross grain cuts. Once I'd finished I tried my best to remove any large tool marks from the flat surfaces, clearing off and raised areas or raggedness from wayward against the grain cuts. I then used the back of my knife to burnish over the tool marks that remained around the threading area to smooth it all out.

Once finished I was so pleased with how it turned out I couldn't resist trying to sign my piece. I liked the idea of using runic characters as freehand carving anything with a curve seemed beyond me, so I transliterated my last name into Elder Futhark and used that as a signature. I'm unsure if this is how runic characters are supposed to be used - each character appears to have it's own meaning? - so if anyone has any better ideas, please feel free to correct me!

Anyways, enough babble; on with the finished result!

kjSDdXUl.jpg

I apologise for the quality of the picture, I took it on my way out of the house this morning and I've done my best to rescue a reasonable picture from my phone's terrible low light camera. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, but I doubt it'd be much use as an actual net needle as the proportions are all wrong, but as a carving project it was great. I might try and make another at a more appropriate size and try out some net knots and see how I get on - I might even try for a hammock!

Mike

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Big Stuff 12 - interesting shape, totally different to most of the others on here. Is there any significance to the shape?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Big Stuff 12 - interesting shape, totally different to most of the others on here. Is there any significance to the shape?

Na I did wonder if anyone would notice... I got it wrong... did it from memory... lol.. then thought blow it , it took the time so ill show it..

I will be doing another one tho

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well it's still good work anyway.

I've not even started. Went out to a place with woods that regularly has sections thinned out but for the first time I couldn't find anything good enough. I was looking for a small log I could sneak out. I don't have a fire so don't have need for wood so I guess I have to be lucky and find something when out as and about. Don't like nicking from a habitat pile in a NNR but the odd small log can't hurt. Where do everyone get wood from out of curiosity?

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Right guys here is my attempt, I will be making another one that is a bit longer
u4e3uvy7.jpg

ty3eru4y.jpg

tuvupube.jpg

Pretty chuufed with for my first complete effort, learned a few things and my next one will be better

Dave
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Well my go.

I had an oak log in the shed that was not yet dry.

ed390c720cfe52d032245cfd52946b13_zps5e709512.jpg

Nice split :)

fc197880b7e5e89df7d5c6d41bdc5560_zps5c6b2ccf.jpg

Board thinned down

87dbb91e41e9d2472948314bf482bf7e_zps806e75d6.jpg

Basic shape sorted

0336d88dfb814379b319e3cd03c50e1e_zps11612885.jpg

Well, that's my go. The knot worried me, but I put it in the middle so it should be fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE