Montane extreme smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
As I've mentioned on a couple of other threads I'm off a jaunt this winter. I've recently purchased a montane extreme smock , mostly for hill walking in UK winters . But where I'm going is expected to be seriously cold , possibly -15 even -20. That will be new to me and I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me just how good this smock is against serious cold.

I'm used to layering up and can keep myself warm in the mountains of snowdonia in winter but this is a level up for me.

Thanks in advance.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
They're excellent bits of kit, but I found mine much too warm for the UK, even winter climbing in Scotland. I run very warm though, and sold it in the end because the freezing cold temps that I would need to wear it never materialised.
In really cold temperatures though, the combination of an Extreme smock for when you're moving and a belay jacket for when you stop is a winner.

Cheers, Michael.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi WWD

Im guessing your thinking about gear for your Nepal trip! The Extreme smock is good kit some of the guys on my MRT wear them. However I dont think it will be warm enough on its own, especially when you set up camp and stop for lunch. I think I would I back it up with a down jacket somthing like a Mountain Equipment Lightline, a good lightweight duvet that you could wear back home too. Cheers Ed

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Thanks Ed. You are of course absolutely right ( but I don't want to bang on abut it). I'm thinking a helly hansen base layer, a goretex over the top and a medium weight berghaus windproof/ ski jacket if it gets really gnarly. We've got good head gear and winter mittens.

I think we are well set, but I dont want to find out I'm wrong 5000 metres up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE